GiantsFan

A fine line - What happens when?............

My wife is basically anti-gun but when she saw my pistol she said it looked just like one that her son had when was a kid. The police cannot tell the difference between toy and real. The toys look just like real guns. The police will have to assume they are all real and protect themselves accordingly. My wife thought the police cannot be faulted for shooting a kid with a toy gun when they are so authentic looking.

When I did my Auxiliary Police thing in Queens I remember coming across this mom and her son and the young boy was very nervous.

He was hiding his toy gun and the mother said " he is afraid if you see his toy you will shoot him." ( I didn't have a gun)

I said to the boy "may I please see your toy?" He gave it to me.

I told him, "now I can see it I can tell it is a toy. Thanks for showing it to me."

I don't remember what I said after that but I think I told the mom that it only made sense that if he is afraid that he will get shot that perhaps she shouldn't let him take it outside. But I might be embelishing. I just remember the kids face.

Don't know why I thought to tell y'all that...

Actually, as an airsofter, I can tell you guys this. The tip only needs to be orange for shipping. Most airsofters (well, not me) actually do spray the tips of their guns black after they get them. Something we've been worried about are laws like California's SB-798, which would require all airsoft guns to either be pastel colors, or transparent, since that takes away from the sport. In fact, airsoft was originally started in countries which had strict laws, or outlawed firearms outright. For that reason, a lot of airsofters are actually a mix of "Real Steel" shooters, and airsoft enthusiests in this state, since many of the guns we would like to own are banned, or just hard to get in the PRNJ.

As for Criminals spraying their guns, they've done it before. I believe there was some instance where that happened, and the airsoft community used that to try and fight SB-798.

That's a cheap piece of crap airsoft gun..... Electric blowback..... low fps (around 200 or so) - can barely puncture paper.

I doubt that it was a parent videotaping it - where the hell was the parental supervision?

His ammo carrier was taping it, didn't you hear the ammo ch chinging when he ran across the driveway to the sighn..

I had a situation where 4 high school kids robbed a private school kid in a public restroom. We got the call of an armed robbery and the subjects were onboard the train headed to my location. Train empties and we spot them. My partner and I draw down on them once the crowd clears. After we prone,search and cuff them I found a black gun in one kids waistband. I thought it was real unil It hit the ground. I heard it was plastic. This think looked exactly like a sig. All black, slide worked, hammer cocked and mag was removable. I thought about after how if he pulled that out I would have shot him dead. I would have killed this kid and it would have been justified. Not sure how I would have felt about killing a 15 year old.

I doubt that it was a parent videotaping it - where the hell was the parental supervision?

And therein lies the real problem as I see it. A kid like this is liable to be shot and killed by a LEO when he pulls that out and points it at somebody. Just look at the 8th grader who was killed in Texas the other day in his school. And he wasn't the first kid to be shot dead by LEOs as there was another already in Florida too. Everyone played "cowboy and Indian" when they were kids, or army etc but that was a different day and age (at least when I grew up). Today in the wake of Columbine etc. people will shoot first and ask questions later and rightfully so too. I myself am PRO Gun but this is something else. This is a real threat and danger to our kids. Many Parents simply don't parent very well these days and kids have allot more freedom. It's just scary that a kid can weild a realistic looking weapon without supervision, simple training or some basic cautions. I'm glad my "kids" are now adults....

Honestly, most airsofters would like there to be an age limit on the sport. We don't like the 12 year olds who buy this stuff, and do stupid stuff like what you saw there. Hell, whenever I go to a game, it's either on a sanctioned field, or private property, and the police are informed ahead of time that we're going to be playing. It really burns me up to see this.

Their was a guy who paited a real gun and was caught in a park with it..he also had a ccw so he was let go..

This is what happens..

http://njgunforums.c...had-pellet-gun/

Are you talking about the A-hole in Tn?? he painted the brake on a Draco AK-pistol orange, then open-carried it.

Honestly, most airsofters would like there to be an age limit on the sport. We don't like the 12 year olds who buy this stuff, and do stupid stuff like what you saw there. Hell, whenever I go to a game, it's either on a sanctioned field, or private property, and the police are informed ahead of time that we're going to be playing. It really burns me up to see this.

they want to see an age limit on a toy you can buy?

the problem is the same as always..

reliance on the government to parent when the parents should be.. my kid.. would not be carrying around a simulation handgun.. one that looks real.. one that creates any doubt.. why? because I have common sense and I don't need the government to raise my kids..

lets get back to a situation where WE raise our kids.. where our kids KNOW not to do dumb **** because WE PARENTS have passed that onto them..

"do you want a cop to see that gun.. and accidentally mistake it for a real weapon.. causing him to shoot you in the face.. spreading your blood all over the street.. while your cold lifeless body falls to the ground?"

"no.. I didn't think so.. now lets get the tip of that gun orange again.. sounds like a good idea doesn't it?"

I think parenting has substantially dwindled over the years for some reason.

My neighbor is this oldschool guy in is 70's, and often tells me a bunch of stories about his childhood. Buying guns and ammo at age 13, wandering around town with his friends all OC'ing .22's on their way to go shoot rats or whatever, etc. Kids knew not to screw around because the consequences could be severe. He also told me about how they used to go eat cherries at some local farm and the farmer shot at them with rocksalt loaded shotguns. Apparently it "burns like hell".

While nowadays I don't advocate kids having access to firearms... I think airsoft is GREAT for kids so long as they know what the hell they are doing. Yet again, it falls on parents getting it into the kids heads not to take them to school or go around brandishing it or whatever. You want to go shoot boxes with johnny, throw your gas 1911 in your backpack and walk there. Take it out when you get home, and dont shoot your eye out, kid.

today.. the parent is the TV.. a teacher.. a psychologist... or even the government.. but it is RARELY the parent...

I was raised by my grandparents for the most part.. they are obviously different than most of my friends parents that I grew up knowing.. and well.. in that regard I think I am lucky..

my fiance and I watch all those "nanny" shows.. and it is just mind numbing the "cloud" that most parents live in..

See the thing is though if that happens then the parents will get sue happy and start claiming they were profiled and discriminated against because Johnny couldn't play because he was to young. I think (not even sure) thats why there is an age limit on purchasing airsoft guns. You have to be 18 to get one, but that doesn't work since the kids bug the **** out of the parents to buy them one.

I watched it happen in Airsoft USA once in Bear, Delaware. A mother had bought her 8 year old son an MP5. A couple weeks later she came back complaining and bitching up a storm because he was shooting people with it, terrorizing the animals, etc etc etc. Wanted a full refund for the gun because her crotch fruit was immature with the air soft gun.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that even if there was an age limit it would be drug through court simply because the parents don't like having their precious, special, unique, irresponsible crotch fruit (I refuse to recognize them as 'children') 'discriminated' against.

As to the original intent of the post: Airsofters paint their tips black, or rip the orange plastic off because, well, it adds to the realism. Plus, I don't know about you, but I HATE having a giant orange piece of plastic giving away my position. Criminals want to trick cops by painting their tips orange. Its happening now, and will continue to happen nothing you can really do to stop it. And kids being irresponsible little twits, want black tips because they think its cool. One of the many vast differences between Airsofters and children is the fact we don't point our guns at things outside of a field or play. We know the repercussions that can happen when we screw up, and we know not to do it. Children don't, because their parents are to hippy, trippy, free parenting, we want to be your friends not your parents, to teach them not to do it.

Everyone played "cowboy and Indian" when they were kids, or army etc but that was a different day and age (at least when I grew up).

the difference is you played in your home and backard under the supervision of an adult. You don't dare break the rules because your asss would get whooped. No DYFS protecting your asss.

Now, the same toy gun is used with no parental supervision. The kid ventures out with it, shows it to his idiot friends and someone gets the bright idea to "pretend" to mug someone.

I think parenting has substantially dwindled over the years for some reason.

My neighbor is this oldschool guy in is 70's, and often tells me a bunch of stories about his childhood. Buying guns and ammo at age 13, wandering around town with his friends all OC'ing .22's on their way to go shoot rats or whatever, etc.

They really couldn't buy it, but many of the places that sold ammo would take the money, and leave it out back by a garbage can or something like that. At least that's that way it was when my father was a kid growing up in the Irvington and Union area.

Somebody better teach that kid to keep his finger out of the trigger guard, especially when he's pointing the muzzle at himself!

I thought of that exactly....As a teaching aid this appears to be an epic fail! I really don't believe in toy guns. I really think Airsoft is detrimental to responcible firearms ownership. Qualifier: In todays society.

See the thing is though if that happens then the parents will get sue happy and start claiming they were profiled and discriminated against because Johnny couldn't play because he was to young. I think (not even sure) thats why there is an age limit on purchasing airsoft guns. You have to be 18 to get one, but that doesn't work since the kids bug the **** out of the parents to buy them one.

I watched it happen in Airsoft USA once in Bear, Delaware. A mother had bought her 8 year old son an MP5. A couple weeks later she came back complaining and bitching up a storm because he was shooting people with it, terrorizing the animals, etc etc etc. Wanted a full refund for the gun because her crotch fruit was immature with the air soft gun.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that even if there was an age limit it would be drug through court simply because the parents don't like having their precious, special, unique, irresponsible crotch fruit (I refuse to recognize them as 'children') 'discriminated' against.

As to the original intent of the post: Airsofters paint their tips black, or rip the orange plastic off because, well, it adds to the realism. Plus, I don't know about you, but I HATE having a giant orange piece of plastic giving away my position. Criminals want to trick cops by painting their tips orange. Its happening now, and will continue to happen nothing you can really do to stop it. And kids being irresponsible little twits, want black tips because they think its cool. One of the many vast differences between Airsofters and children is the fact we don't point our guns at things outside of a field or play. We know the repercussions that can happen when we screw up, and we know not to do it. Children don't, because their parents are to hippy, trippy, free parenting, we want to be your friends not your parents, to teach them not to do it.

If you are 18yo and play Airsoft I really have to wonder about your grasp of reality. So as far as I'm concerned Airsoft is BS. If you're 18yo be a man and do Simulations.

Realistic toy guns were around when I was a kid back in the 60's. There was no potential for tragedy with having one in your possession because kids and young teens generally weren't out preying on the public with real guns, as some do today.

Dollars to donuts there will be some knee-jerk, nanny-state, feel-good, named-after-the-dead-kid legislation passed in light of this most recent police shooting.

they want to see an age limit on a toy you can buy?

There already is. You need to be 18 to purchase these - just have a kid go to a Dick's and try to buy one.. nope.... Needs parental supervision.

Problem is these days, there isn't any.

There already is. You need to be 18 to purchase these - just have a kid go to a Dick's and try to buy one.. nope.... Needs parental supervision.

Problem is these days, there isn't any.

If (the lack of) customer service keeps up at Dick's in Woodbridge, I wouldn't worry about anyone walking out with an airsoft--or much of anything--anytime soon. I waited 20 minutes my last time there, for someone to open up the ammo lockers. Just my luck, I get one of those pompous, "I'm doing YOU a favor by selling this to you" azz clowns.

I'd rather pass up their infrequent sales and just head out to Wally World in PA once per month to grab rounds. Sorry for the rant ;-)

If you are 18yo and play Airsoft I really have to wonder about your grasp of reality. So as far as I'm concerned Airsoft is BS. If you're 18yo be a man and do Simulations.

Thats your opinion and I respect that, but I'm 20, have a firm grasp on reality, and play Airsoft on occasion. Most of us aren't rich enough to afford to paintball every single weekend, or go to simulations, or use simunitions or what ever else you would consider 'manly'.