axeman_g

2 Questions about slingshots.

ok... my boys and I like to shoot slingshots for fun, archery practice and practical small game hunting practice. I have two, a marksman USA and a Daisy B52. I need to pick up another for my little one as he has graduated to needing his own sling by now.

My questions are... a member of my club spotted us shooting and informed me that the Daisy was illegal in NJ as it was a wristrocket type? WTF is a wristrocket type? Do we have an AWB on slingshots in this POS state now?

Second, does anyone know where I can get some 1/2 or .45 inch approx steel ball bearings in bulk? I had about 1K when I moved from Ga, but we seem to have shot them all away. I can order from Ebay, but most of the places are in China... not going there.

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

WHAT???? Are you farking kidding me? Paul... please tell me you pulling my chain. Are you sure that should not read "Slungshot" which is a type of weighted line used like a blackjack?

So exactly what is a crime in the fourth degree... am I know a felon? WTF is wrong with people

WHAT???? Are you farking kidding me? Paul... please tell me you pulling my chain. Are you sure that should not read "Slungshot" which is a type of weighted line used like a blackjack?

So exactly what is a crime in the fourth degree... am I know a felon? WTF is wrong with people

do you have an explainable lawful purpose?

That's why you never see them for sale in NJ

originally it DID read "Slungshot" sometime during the transition from title 60 to title 2A to title 2C, the U got changed to an "I"

I have retought this....Did you ever see Animal House... the final scene where flounder takes out the ROTC with the ball bearings? Thats exactly how I am planning to defend my house, if someone breaks in I am going to throw a box of ball bearings on the floor so the perps fall on their backs, knocking themselves out. I will then call my local pd, wait for them to arrive, while serving the fallen perps tea so as to keep them calm and not have them damaged in any sense of the word.

I have retought this....Did you ever see Animal House... the final scene where flounder takes out the ROTC with the ball bearings? Thats exactly how I am planning to defend my house, if someone breaks in I am going to throw a box of ball bearings on the floor so the perps fall on their backs, knocking themselves out. I will then call my local pd, wait for them to arrive, while serving the fallen perps tea so as to keep them calm and not have them damaged in any sense of the word.

You (and my son0 have been watching "Home Alone" too much.

It says here that you can get a permit from the mayor......in 1921....

Chapter 108 Laws of 1921 Page 206 - 207 Permit to carry. Any person who shall carry any ....sand-bag,slung-shot.....written permit to carry such a weapon...obtained from and signed by the Mayor of any city...

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?collect=njleg&file=145&page=0206&zoom=90

The first explainable lawful purpose that come to mind:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

But, that isn't respected in this state.

Criminal Penalties for 4th Degree Crimes in New Jersey

Fourth degree criminal offenses: Up to 18 months in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

If you are a first offender charged with a 4th Degree crime, you may be entitled to pretrial intervention (aka, first offender treatment.) If you are eligible from pretrial intervention, the charges against you can be dismissed if you successfully complete a period of probation.

Examples of Fourth-Degree Crimes

http://www.naumoski.com/crimes/weaponsoffenses.html

Under N.J.S. 2C:39-3, the possession of various types of other weapons also constitutes a crime. Possession of any "destructive device" is a third degree crime. Possession of a sawed-off shotgun is also a third degree crime. Possession of a silencer is a fourth degree crime. Possession of any defaced firearm is also a fourth degree crime.

In addition, possession of various types of other weapons, such as a gravity knife, switchblade, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus, or ballistic knife is a fourth degree crime. Possession of body armor piercing bullets or ammunition is also a fourth degree crime, as is possession of a stun gun.

We really need to have a judge rule that the "without explainable lawful purpose" clause is unconstitutionally vauge. Either an object should be illegal or it should be legal.

To me, target practice (recreation) is an explainable lawful purpose for posession of a slingshot, "I need to open boxes and cut string/rope" is an explainable lawful purpose for possession of any blade. To a judge and jury? I, and nobody else here, has any idea of what would constitute an "explainable lawful purpose."

If the state wishes to not outright ban, but restrict possession of these objects, they should have to prove that one intends to use it for an unlawful purpose.

All knives are not included in the "explainable lawful purpose" statute. The slingshots, mistakenly named, were grouped together with

gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife
, which would cause anyone in possession to be arrested.

Wonder if there are laws against carrying rubber bands in your pocket, because of the potential for making a slingshot is there. Next there will be politicians talking about how evil rubber bands are. Probably have new laws against having rubber bands and paperclips in the same room, certainly not in the same shopping bag or in the same area cause they can be used for a sling shot unless locked in the trunk in a box. Might need a purchase permit soon to go into Staples or Office Depot. Thing is anyone can make a slingshot with some wood and rubber bands, just don't get caught with it.

This thread has just depressed the ever living crud out of me. Harmless... no a slingshot is not harmless, but is it a childs toy basically. I can not believe that a spelling error or some bureaucrats decision to change a letter to encompass more "weapons" has now ruined one of my boys and mine favorite ways to spend time together.

You know what this means, that know I have to speed up the firearms training schedule for them both and get them involved shooting and hunting earlier then I planned. If the state is going to impose stupid a** bans like this, I guess the only way to fight back is to out reach their targets. By getting my boys involved earlier, I hope it pisses off some libtard politician. I will get them to tell their friends about how they spent the weekend shooting or hunting safely with their mom and dad and it was the best weekend ever. I hope it makes their friends push their parents to let them go with us one day, I will bring the Dad's along also and make more shooters... It will be my personal goal from this day forward to add 25 new shooters to the community by the end of 2012. I am already two up for the year... so 23 more to go.

All because they want to make a criminal of my kids. F' em.

originally it DID read "Slungshot" sometime during the transition from title 60 to title 2A to title 2C, the U got changed to an "I"

So why can't somebody petition the court to correct this? Slung shot is very different from a slingshot.