I love how this thread keeps going. Metal trash cans and repellant gotchya, NO firearms/airsoft/trap&release/pellet guns all illegal/inhumane.

Yea, I have to admit I have looked this over from all angles about a year and a half ago. My previous neighbor came by and knew I was looking to go shooting, back when I first moved here. He was a former cop and complained the the squirrels had eaten the wiring in his wife's Lexus. It cost him $3000 in repairs. He was not living in the house but was trying to sell it and he said "you see any of those little bastards feel free to waste 'em, and bring your friends."

Well I looked into what it would take, found all the laws then convinced myself I really needed to get a hunting license and take up the hobby.

If it weren't for squirrels I wouldn't have started looking into it. But looking into it I realized how just doing something as silly as shooting a squirrel with a BB gun or poisoning them, in NJ might get all my guns taken from me.

Got one yesterday with my right front tire of the 2500, does a nice job on their little bodies, squishes them pretty flat. Ran it over again later just for the heck of it. Now his buddies can split-up his stash of acorns.............. Do they actually serve a purpose besides feeding stray cats and dogs?

Squirrels eat at my roof and try to make home in the rafters. It’s possible that I shoot some of mine with a pellet gun. I don't think it’s legal. I wouldn’t do it if I lived anywhere near a school.

If I lived next to a school, I would shoot them off the roof of the school.

Here is what I did when I had them in my attic.

I had two window on the end of my house with a large tree about 20' away. I setup my fields of fire and then went outside and cleared the lanes. I put peanut butter on the tree facing the windows about 1-3/4 feet above the ground. So that the little bastards would reach up for it from the ground and show their backs to me with bodies fully extended.

I then killed about 50 squirrels. Noise in my attic stopped. I spent two more weeks shooting about 20 more squirrels just to be sure. It's pretty funny that I killed that many squirrels but realized I finally had the ones I was after when I killed the last two. It was only after about 68 dead squirrels that I saw one of the little bastards get into my attic through a hole I never found. I then tracked him to the tree and blasted him. His wife came down and hung from her back legs on the tree trunk, about a foot and a half off the ground, and while hanging with her back feet started smacking him with her front feet in a, "Hey, we gotta go! Get up, we gotta go buddy! Get up!" fashion. So, I blew her away, and them finished him off. I then fixed the hole and never had another problem.

It's amazing that so many have to die to finish a war between only a few.

• Like 1

Parker, I LOVE IT! But I bet you might get a few -1s for it.

I thought it would be apropos on a forum of shooters. :D

The family of squirrels (8 of them) in my yard have been eating the tops of my plastic garbage cans as well.

I've got these squirrels that hide in one tree and shell the nuts for about 4 weeks. My lawn is covered in shell remnants and all during the autumn the shells fall. When it rains they clump and the clumps kill my grass.

Man I want to knock a few of them off.

This reminds me of the story of squirrel and the octopus. All year long, the squirrel kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched tv. But then the winter came, and the squirrel died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar.

Is any of this getting through to you?

lol. funny azz thread.

as for squirrels...have a heart trap works well with peanut butter. i've "heard" that 22 subsonics work well. :)

as for things to make them go away the one thing that worked for me with other critters....skunk to be precise. was mothballs. skunk decided to live under my deck. NOTHING worked. i tried everything. i got a box of mothballs and spent an hour tossing them under the deck thru lattice work. he was gone and never came back. infact most animals avoided the area. my backyard smelled like an old ladies closet but i was okay with it.

Nick

This reminds me of the story of squirrel and the octopus. All year long, the squirrel kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched tv. But then the winter came, and the squirrel died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar.

Is any of this getting through to you?

Wow, you REALLY like that show. :D

• Like 1