Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Upstate Waffle House customer shoots and kills armed robber

Here is an example where probably 100 future felonies and probably at least one murder were prevented by an upstanding citizen with a gun.

-------

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20120121/NEWS/120129951/1015/opinion01?Title=Upstate-Waffle-House-customer-shoots-and-kills-armed-robber

SPARTANBURG, S.C.-- A customer at the Waffle House on Chesnee Highway shot and killed a gunman attempting to rob the business early Saturday morning, according to a report from the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies responded to a report of an armed robbery attempt at the Waffle House restaurant at 2230 Chesnee Highway at 1:13 Saturday morning. They discovered that two men had attempted to rob the business.

Deputies said a customer at the restaurant who was a concealed weapons permit holder attempted to thwart the robbery and hold the suspects at gunpoint with his handgun until authorities arrived. However, one man pointed his gun at the customer, who then shot and killed the suspect, deputies said. The other suspect fled the scene.

The report says no customers or employees were injured during this incident, but it was not known if the second suspect had been hit.

Dante Lamont Williams, 19, of 827 South Edisto River Drive, Roebuck, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Spartanburg County Coroner Charles Clevenger.

Anyone who may have information regarding the identity and/or location of the second suspect is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 1.888.CRIME.SC.

• Like 3

Now if this was NY or NJ there would have been many more victims because of NO CCW an a call from the politicans for more gun control. How screwed up is NJ and NY

no no.... if that was nj or ny the citizen would be put in jail for life.... and the dead robbers family would sue....

What strikes me is the particular idiocy of this crime. An armed hold-up of a waffle house on an early Saturday morning?! One must be really dumb (or pressed for money) to risk his life or freedom while trying to raid an empty cash register. I thought that up until now, my native Fair Lawn held the dubious crown of "dumb armed robberies" distinction, when two youths from Paterson with a Mac-10 tried to rob a Blockbuster store (the one that was under Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings).

Now if this was NY or NJ there would have been many more victims because of NO CCW an a call from the politicans for more gun control. How screwed up is NJ and NY

I am not sure if you know but if you are a NY resident, you can get your CCW...

If I lived in an area where there are an abundance of waffle houses, I would never go to them. They are continuously robbed.

What strikes me is the particular idiocy of this crime. An armed hold-up of a waffle house on an early Saturday morning?! One must be really dumb (or pressed for money) to risk his life or freedom while trying to raid an empty cash register.

You apparently have never been to a Waffle House before - they're open 24x7. They're a great place to get a late night breakfast after a night of drinking/etc.

What strikes me is the particular idiocy of this crime. An armed hold-up of a waffle house on an early Saturday morning?! One must be really dumb (or pressed for money) to risk his life or freedom while trying to raid an empty cash register. I thought that up until now, my native Fair Lawn held the dubious crown of "dumb armed robberies" distinction, when two youths from Paterson with a Mac-10 tried to rob a Blockbuster store (the one that was under Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings).

South of the mason-Dixon Line, Waffle House (Chain) is about the equivalent of our White Castles up here. It's where all the drunks go after they've been drinking to eat before heading home. You've got the till from all day saturday AND the late-night influx before the manager can make a bank run.

South of the mason-Dixon Line, Waffle House (Chain) is about the equivalent of our White Castles up here. It's where all the drunks go after they've been drinking to eat before heading home. You've got the till from all day saturday AND the late-night influx before the manager can make a bank run.

You apparently have never been to a Waffle House before - they're open 24x7. They're a great place to get a late night breakfast after a night of drinking/etc.

Thanks guys, I didn't know that. Live and learn.

Just did a search

Nearest (to me) Awful House (what we affectionately called it) is on Rt 40 in NorthEast MD (this side of the windy bridge)

There's also an app for smartphones to locate Waffle House locations

Downloaded the app and found a closer one in Elkton MD

Next time I run over to Millers for powder or primers, I think I'll pay WH a visit! yummmm

Edited by njJoniGuy

They can actually be pretty scary if it's REALLY early/late..y'all walk in the door to be rushed by 3-4 employees saying "Good Mornin!!!" in a loud Monotone...good practice for the Zed apocalypse though LOL

Waffle House at 1:15AM-----mmm pancakes & bacon & hash browns

+1000

I don't think you were commenting on the quality of the food, just the fact that drunks go there. But WH blows WC out of the water! Back int he day they had all you can eat from 11pm-4am. :D Also, they usually have safes that the employees have to drop the cash in every few hours.

Just did a search

Nearest (to me) Awful House (what we affectionately called it) is on Rt 40 in NorthEast MD (this side of the windy bridge)

There's also an app for smartphones to locate Waffle House locations

Downloaded the app and found a closer one in Elkton MD

Next time I run over to Millers for powder or primers, I think I'll pay WH a visit! yummmm

I think it's cuz you're so far south. There's one in Northampton, PA (Lehigh Valley). There's also another one in Allentown.

:clapping: The customer (a ccw holder) was only 22 years old. He had remarkable self control under the circumstances. He first tried to subdue the men until police arrived (I assume that means at gunpoint) and didn't fire until a weapon was pointed at him. Then when he did fire he hit the gunman in the head and chest... good marksmanship considering.

The part that was unclear is to how he got into a physical altercation with the second suspect. It seems to suggest that the second suspect had a firearm on him but didn't pull it. After his partner was shot the second suspect headed towards the door to flee the scene. [At that point the ccw holder, not wanting to fire upon an apparently unarmed man, moved into the suspect's path to prevent him from leaving. < my interpretation]. The suspect (now being in close proximity) made a grab for the customers gun. They struggled, the customer fired a shot to make the suspect release his hold and it apparrently worked. The man fled but was subsequently arrested.

I am not applauding the fact that someone was killed (even though they deserved it), I think the kid should be congratulated for being so responsible. It's a shame he had to shoot anyone, but he had no choice.

Question: In this case, should the ccw holder have blocked the second suspect from exiting the restaurant? Doing so, almost got his firearm taken away from him.

Question: In this case, should the ccw holder have blocked the second suspect from exiting the restaurant? Doing so, almost got his firearm taken away from him.

No....as a civilian, you should NEVER prevent a perp from fleeing. The only time you should put effort into stopping a perp from fleeing is when you are SURE that they're going to immediately put someone important to you in danger of great bodily harm or death (then you must make your decisions and be at peace with the possible repercussions). If you shoot a fleeing felon or try to trap a fleeing felon, the blood may likely be on your hands.

I don't know the laws of "citizens arrest," and I won't even begin to pretend that it's a good idea.