Shane45

People uncorking!!!

My neighbors are 2 local pd, a probation officer and a FBI agent. The guy next to me has a 30' flagpole with a don't tread on me flag so my guess would be he has some sort of firearm. I also have on neighbor who is like a 60 year old doctor and his wife. If I was to pick a house to rob it would be that one. My house wouldn't be the chosen one between the clearly marked alarm and big dog.

Doesnt really mean anything. I was burglarized a few months back by a neighbor (Junkie scumbag) who KNEW I was a cop..he waited and watched till he saw everyone leave, then ripped an AC unit out and went in through the window. Luckily a neighbor saw him and called the PD.

I live in the nicest part of my town and that pushed me to get an alarm. But a have quite a few armed neighbors. A scanner might be a nice investment. I have one on my phone but rarely use it.

Scanners used to be great to keep aware..when they switched to digtal I upgraded to APCO 25..last couple years they even started encrypting transmissions (illegal to decrypt--so they say)..it's getting difficult to know what's going on even next door with police etc running through your property..I asked a cop last summer during flashing lights, ambulances, sirens etc.,I was told abruptly it was non of my business..get back in my house..

Turned out to be a peeping tom..

really re-enforced my feeling of civic responsibility and neighborhood watch...

Scanners used to be great to keep aware..when they switched to digtal I upgraded to APCO 25..last couple years they even started encrypting transmissions (illegal to decrypt--so they say)..it's getting difficult to know what's going on even next door with police etc running through your property..I asked a cop last summer during flashing lights, ambulances, sirens etc.,I was told abruptly it was non of my business..get back in my house..

Turned out to be a peeping tom..

really re-enforced my feeling of civic responsibility and neighborhood watch...

Is it still worth getting one though? I do a lot of driving up north and it could come in handy on the road also.

You do not need an FCC amateur radio license to posses and own a scanner in NJ. Some states I believe have laws against using a police scanner receiver as a tool during the commission of a crime (using it to evade the police). As a matter of fact, you don't need a license to receive anything at all. A license is only needed to transmit on approved frequency bands.

Anyone can buy a scanner and start listening to their local PD/FD/EMS etc. Encryption is capable on the new digital systems, but not many agencies use it because of the pure headache of trying to coordinate encryption key management. I don't know of any laws saying that trying to break the encryption is illegal. The only laws that I know of are around digital satellite TV service, but those laws are more focused around theft of service/content rather than breaking encryption of something over the airwaves. That being said, good luck with the crypto cracking, nearly impossible unless they have some kind of flaw in their implementation of the algorithm.

You do not need an FCC amateur radio license to posses and own a scanner in NJ. Some states I believe have laws against using a police scanner receiver as a tool during the commission of a crime (using it to evade the police). As a matter of fact, you don't need a license to receive anything at all. A license is only needed to transmit on approved frequency bands.

Anyone can buy a scanner and start listening to their local PD/FD/EMS etc. Encryption is capable on the new digital systems, but not many agencies use it because of the pure headache of trying to coordinate encryption key management. I don't know of any laws saying that trying to break the encryption is illegal. The only laws that I know of are around digital satellite TV service, but those laws are more focused around theft of service/content rather than breaking encryption of something over the airwaves. That being said, good luck with the crypto cracking, nearly impossible unless they have some kind of flaw in their implementation of the algorithm.

most police depts are using digital trunking..dont ask me how it works, but it means that you dont get to listen in without the right channel..AFAIK There is or at least was a statute against having a scanner in a motor vehicle without some kind of permit...Hasnt really ever been an issue around me so i never read up on the statute.

Wow. I missed this whole page.

Trunking is used so that a few frequencies can be combined in a way that

allows the area to have more dedicated groups than frequencies. It is not an encryption but born out of economics.

Most places that do trunk can be set up on a proper scanner using information found on the Internet. The only reason I never had a trunking scanner is that they generally cost more.

AFAIK There is or at least was a statute against having a scanner in a motor vehicle without some kind of permit...Hasnt really ever been an issue around me so i never read up on the statute.

What about a HAM Radio?? I have that all the time, it's hardwired and sometime an Aviation Band radio..

most police depts are using digital trunking..dont ask me how it works, but it means that you dont get to listen in without the right channel..AFAIK There is or at least was a statute against having a scanner in a motor vehicle without some kind of permit...Hasnt really ever been an issue around me so i never read up on the statute.

IIRC this was the law for many years and Florio signed a bill that repealed the possession in motorvehicle law, as Caine said, as long as you are not using it to commit crimes. About the only thing Florio did that I actually agreed with.

I used to be into scanners big time, I even have an old crystal scanner laying around somewhere. Sort of fell out of it when the cops started going to the computer terminals, there was a lot less to listen to.

Just a pet peeve of mine... are you talking about robberies(items taken by force) or burglaries(items taken while the owner was not around)? Seems incredibly high for robberies.

+1

I was going to say the same thing. It really annoys me when the news media use burglary and robbery interchangeably, you would think they would know better.

Robbery = requires your presence and a threat

Burglary = you are usually not present

http://www.afn.org/~...s/scanner5.html

From bouncing around the links at the above site, 2C:33-21 & 2C:33-22 are the important ones for mobile scanners in NJ . (short version: seems OK as long as you're not using the scanner in the commission of a crime).

Just like hollow points.

The other week Waterford TWP police reported on their FB page about a bunch of burgularies around the area , apparently the scumbags would ring your doorbell and see if you answered if not they would break in and alarms didnt bother them , so a few days later after reading that i was kinda on elevated alert , just keeping a eye on my neighborhood and such , so one day i get home from work and was takin a nap , like 3:30 in the afternoon and the friggin doorbell rings not really a everyday occurance in my neigborhood , being this stuff was in my head i jumped up quickly looked outside and saw nobody , still a little groggy i grabbed my 45 and cell phone went downstairs , after a few moments of gathering my sh*t i went to my front window and surveyed the front of my house , nothing , as i start thinking okay time to call 911 i see a Comcast Cable guy walking to my neighbors house trying to get people back from FIOS to comcast , i was like Son of a **** dont they know about this Sh*t lol !! Have to say it was a learning expierience , a day or 2 later they caught the guys doing the exact same thing in my town , good job WTPD !!!!

Last year there was a police standoff 5 doors down from my house. Woman beld her kids hostage with a knife. I live at the end o a dead end. 11pm at night and on my motorcycle i was not allowed to go home. They said "i dont care where you go, just cant go home" you know what its like trying to find somewhere to go that time of night on a weekday and a motorcycle??

They wouldn't let you go home? That is messed up. What right do they have to do that? If it is for your own safety, and you don't want their 'protection', in a situation like, can they still refuse you access to your own house?

They wouldn't let you go home? That is messed up. What right do they have to do that? If it is for your own safety, and you don't want their 'protection', in a situation like, can they still refuse you access to your own house?

yep...bc the whole swat team was out there..they wouldn't let anyone past for mine, or their protection. I would have to pass THAT house to get to mine

Especially the "upscale" neighborhoods, where no one bothers to lock their doors.

Funny... I don't live in an upscale neighborhood by any means, but just happened to notice an electronic sign the local PD just put up in my development. Something to the tune of "remove valuables from your vehicle and keep your doors locked".

Funny... I don't live in an upscale neighborhood by any means, but just happened to notice an electronic sign the local PD just put up in my development. Something to the tune of "remove valuables from your vehicle and keep your doors locked".

You would be AMAZED at the number of people who leave things like GPS's in plain view..then are surprised when they find their car broken into

You would be AMAZED at the number of people who leave things like GPS's in plain view..then are surprised when they find their car broken into

One of my friends couldn't believe it when someone smashed the widow of his car in to steal the iPod off his seat. AND, it was in NYC, he further got mad when i proceeded to laugh my a** off.