this_is_nascar

Verizon DSL - Verizon Fios - Comcast Internet - Something Else

Some nice speeds, I remember when I had to pay extra for a high speed option of 9600bps over the standard 2400bps service.. :facepalm:

14.4 US robotics modem... what now.

humn... I wonder what percentage of users are on dial up.... time to go check google analytics.

humn... I wonder what percentage of users are on dial up.... time to go check google analytics.

More than you think.

High speed internet just about anywhere is one of the benefits of living in a "densely populated" area like NJ.

Sparsely populated areas of NJ have no access to the internet except for satellite. No cable, no fiber, too far away from the central office for DSL and dial up won't even work reliably because of the noise on the old copper wiring.

Verizon FIOS in Chatham NJ

1765262736.png

the machine I'm testing from is going through a switch and then though an Air Port Extreme as a wireless access point and then finally through the Verizon router so there might be some speed compromise here. I'm also logged in remotely into my machine so direct line to the internet should give slightly better upstream speed I think.

Office is comcast... I get about 35 down...sometimes 40, and 5 up.

1763390106.png

At home I have Fios.... it is about 10 down, 2 up.

You should hit them up to upgrade you. I get about 45 down and 30 up with fios. They alos dont give me a hard time about running a server. I dont think my IP has changed more than 2 times in 6 years.

For everyone else, I wouldnt go back to comcrap if it was free. They blamed everything on my wiring like others have experienced. My internet would be out at least every 5th time I went to my PC. Their answer was to unplug everything and plug it back in. That worked about half the time. You could not even try to run a server with them, just forget it.

Also, I had my fios ONT (the box outside your house) , my router, and both cable boxes blown up by lightning and Verizon fixed it all in 2 days. I could not ask for anything more.

Ken

1766666332.png

I use Cablevision (only because fios is not yet available in my area). I pay a few extra $$ for the "faster" internet, but I think it's worth it. TV sucks though. DVR doesn't record properly and HD looks grainy.

I continue to gets these flyers in the mail, urging me to upgrade to Verizon Fios. They currently have a 1-year, no contract, $59.99 per month special for Internet and Phone. I'm considering this option and leaving my Comcast cable as is. If I went with Fios for cable, by time I added what I want to have the equivalent of what I have now, it would probably cost the same. Someone in an earlier post mentioned something about losing all "copper" coming into the house when I upgrade to Fios. With Verizon, I currently have (2) landlines, one that I use for DSL/Fax machine and the other for the "home phone". If I go to Fios for Phone, can I just go to one line and have my Fax machine work on that too? To complicate that even more, I pay for Verizon's voice-mail option, so that would be on the same line too. I'm not sure if all that would work the way it should.

I think I'm convinced that I'll leave my cable with Comcast for now, but am unsure (because of these concerns) what to do about Internet and Phone.

I had Comcast both at my store, and at my home. Since the business was majorly-dependent on a consistent internet connection, and the connection kept dropping due to issues with their infrastructure. In fact, all of the stores in our strip center had problems with their internet. They worked for 3 months, replaced the node twice and no joy. I eventually got rid of it at the store. I got FIOS internet in it's place. The uptime was unreal. The system report no drops for months.

I ended up switching from Comcast Triple Play to the equivalent FIOS package at home as well. My wife is a TV-aholic. We had the complete package (everything you could possibly get) with Comcast. When we switched to FIOS, we got as much, if not more. We were paying Comcast about $245 with 3 DVR's. We're paying Verizon about $175 and couldn't be happier. We have 1 Multi-room DVR and a set top box in each of 2 other rooms top boxes. The DVR has a outboard hard drive connected to it that allows us to record 3X the number of high-def programs and watch any recording in any room. Oh yea, we haven't experienced any outages in the year we've had it. If the Internet wireless router is on a UPS, the service still works during a power failure. The only PIA is with the digital voice, we have to dial the area code, even if the call is local.

Yep, 2nd level I believe. Was only a tad more a month. When I had Optimum, they wanted rediculous money for higher speeds.

Bigtime jealous :). Is that with Fios and if so, which flavor?

Does anyone know who the switch to Fios is handle if you have (2) phone lines? I have (2) landlines now with Verizon. Are they easily kept if switching to Fios Phone? I'm assuming either case, I could keep my same phone numbers with the switch to Fios Phone and be able to keep my same email address if switching to Fios Internet from Verizon DSL. Is that true?

Just lost power yesterday for almost 6 hours. Phone lasted no prob... Didn't care about the rest because no power anyway. Worse case scenario, use your cell phone. When we had the floods last year, we never lost anything except fooking cable. They lost power to one of their pole units. We had no TV, INTERNET or PHONE. So screw them. I was told by the military stationed in our area and one of the cable techs that all they needed was a generator at the pole down the road. Instead they chose to leave us all out for over 10 days. My elderly mother lives next door and had FIOS and she lost nada... While that bugged me a little, my main concern was for the elderly that had no means of communications to the outside world. If they had no cell phone and many don't, it could cost them their lives. Cablevision didn't seem to care. I called them on my cell every few hours the first few days ripping them a new a-hole and told them that... I have nothing nice to say about them anymore. So just recently we switched to FIOS, something I said I'd never do because I despised Verizon for the longest time. But now it's all about the money and we wanted to save and have a better service with better attitude. Cables attitude dropped significantly over the years.

Don't think it's a problem. They took my number away from Cablevision instantly. The fiberoptic box they put in is used in Hirise apartments. (They know I'm a computer nut and wanted to make sure I had a substantial unit I suppose)... I don't see why they can't. If you go to their site, add everything you want to do to your cart. It will tell you what you need. They ask you to put your numbers in to see what can be transferred, etc.

Does anyone know who the switch to Fios is handle if you have (2) phone lines? I have (2) landlines now with Verizon. Are they easily kept if switching to Fios Phone? I'm assuming either case, I could keep my same phone numbers with the switch to Fios Phone and be able to keep my same email address if switching to Fios Internet from Verizon DSL. Is that true?

You can move multiple lines to fios and keep the numbers. As far as the email address, they told me that you would select a new primary email address and they will add your old email address as a secondary email address after the new fios service is activatedSent from my Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2