Maksim

Who's on twitter?

I dont post.. but I do use it as a reference tool. I follow news agencies both for regular news and fire service news.. I follow tech industry accounts (gizmodo, android related) and have added a few gun related follows recently (NRA, hikock, gun news) for those that are anti trend, id at least swallow a bit of pride and try it out. Create an account and follow the people or organizations that interest you. Its like getting a ticker tape of news stories regarding topics of YOUR choosing.

@Rmeyer923

OK guys, please humor this 50-year old man. What is the draw to Twitter? Why the obession for so many to "tweet"? Why is it so important, for so many, to tell the world that they've just taken a sh*t or had eggs for breakfast or.........................................? I just don't get it.

• Like 1

OK guys, please humor this 50-year old man. What is the draw to Twitter? Why the obession for so many to "tweet"? Why is it so important, for so many, to tell the world that they've just taken a sh*t or had eggs for breakfast or.........................................? I just don't get it.

I have a twitter account. I use it to follow gaming updates(like Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, etc.), some comedians I like, and some personalities I like, such as Felicia Day.

I have tweeted maybe 30 times and most of that is @ people, asking a question. The rest were either tests "Hello World" or just basically something to serve as a milepost, to change what I look at.

Other people tweet to get out info about a product or service they provide.

Some people tweet because they think they'll get famous.

Some people tweet because they're obsessed with expressing their own thoughts to no one in particular but I have other venues for that.

Same boat as you Ray... :search:

• Like 1

Same boat as you Ray... :search:

Did you know, there was a person on Sully's airplane that crashed into the Hudson? He live tweeted it all the way down and as he was standing on the wings.

Now, the odds of any one of us ever being in a position like that is very low but not zero. Next time you come upon or are involved with something extraordinary, you can tweet it. Eventually your tweets will be found and you'll get paid for it ;)

Did you know, there was a person on Sully's airplane that crashed into the Hudson? He live tweeted it all the way down and as he was standing on the wings.

Now, the odds of any one of us ever being in a position like that is very low but not zero. Next time you come upon or are involved with something extraordinary, you can tweet it. Eventually your tweets will be found and you'll get paid for it ;)

No kidding, I could probably come up with a bunch of good stuff watching the air traffic here at EWR and the surrounding airspace but I'd doubt that would be a good example for my controllers. That and what goes on in a normal day for me would have you shaking your head.. :icon_mrgreen:

I'm another one who just doesn't get twitter or facebook.

Just look at the news and you'll see that nothing good comes from either of them. People losing their jobs, losing their spouses, etc.

They are just data mining marketing tools, and the companies profiting off of you are harvesting massive amounts of information about you with you being a WILLING participant.

You say "so what - they target ads and what not based on my internet activity". And that might be true, but if the gubmint wants every bit and byte of that information, they have to fork it over. Everything you've ever tweeted, posted on myspace, facebook, internet forums, etc. Everything you've googled - to be taken out of context for sure.

And furthermore, I doubt anyone would be interested in my everyday activities and I would be worried if they did.

Twitter uses that post regularly are either selling/promoting a product or story, or self involved people that like to hear themselves speak. However for all those that think it is useless, negative, and childish here is a good example of my twitter feed. I follow these other twitter accounts.. and rather searching multiple sites for these stories, they are condensed into my twitter feed. Most of their posts have short URL links to their story. So rather then searching 30 websites for new stories.. a good advertising site will post their new/interesting stories on their feed where I can navigate through them with ease.

Its not as intrusive as you are led to believe, and yes the media does a great job at telling you the negatives, but this lies more in personality defects the end users have (marriage ending by cheating spouse, the spouse is inclined to cheat FB just acts as a medium) The media also has done a good job telling you all public workers are overpaid and have cushy contracts.. I can attest that I for one do not get handsomely rewarded for my job.

Back to topic.. consider the positives of having news of all of your hobbies (shooting,fishing etc) filtered to one place where you can search stories from one source. I guarantee if you follow the users that fit your liking, you will enjoy it.

post-4548-0-32231300-1328883835_thumb.png

Twitter uses that post regularly are either selling/promoting a product or story, or self involved people that like to hear themselves speak. However for all those that think it is useless, negative, and childish here is a good example of my twitter feed. I follow these other twitter accounts.. and rather searching multiple sites for these stories, they are condensed into my twitter feed. Most of their posts have short URL links to their story. So rather then searching 30 websites for new stories.. a good advertising site will post their new/interesting stories on their feed where I can navigate through them with ease.

Its not as intrusive as you are led to believe, and yes the media does a great job at telling you the negatives, but this lies more in personality defects the end users have (marriage ending by cheating spouse, the spouse is inclined to cheat FB just acts as a medium) The media also has done a good job telling you all public workers are overpaid and have cushy contracts.. I can attest that I for one do not get handsomely rewarded for my job.

Back to topic.. consider the positives of having news of all of your hobbies (shooting,fishing etc) filtered to one place where you can search stories from one source. I guarantee if you follow the users that fit your liking, you will enjoy it.

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I do this everyday using RSS feeds. Everything that interests me in one space. I hear what you're saying though.

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I do this everyday using RSS feeds. Everything that interests me in one space. I hear what you're saying though.

+1 RSS feeds allow me to read the things I am interested in.

Twitter for non-commercial and non-famous people is a waste of time and bandwidth. It's a promotional tool for companies, sports personalities and movie stars. Even some famous folks have suffered the consequences of tweeting like a twit. Gilbert Gottfreid, the comedian who is better known for doing the voices of Iago the parrot for Disney and the AFLAC duck got fired from AFLAC for tweeting a stupid joke about the Japanese right after the devastating earthquake and tsunami last year.