If it's for the handgun forget it. I bought one new and sold it shortly after. Worst accuracy of any handgun I ever owned! Slide to frame fit was sloppy and the barrel rattled in the slide. Sent it back to S&W. They said it was fine. I told them they were full of crap and sold it!

For a while S&W had some pretty awful QC on the M&P, like shipping barrel with only half the rifling in them. They seemed to have gotten over that and I haven't heard of any problem lately. Odd that they sent it back if it had problems, although slide to frame is never going to be tight on that type of gun, and it shouldn't matter much.

For a while S&W had some pretty awful QC on the M&P, like shipping barrel with only half the rifling in them. They seemed to have gotten over that and I haven't heard of any problem lately. Odd that they sent it back if it had problems, although slide to frame is never going to be tight on that type of gun, and it shouldn't matter much.

+1

M&P was my first HG and I love it. So far I have over 1k rounds through it with out any issues.

i will say this the M&P 40 was the standard issue at my job, it was replacing the aging TSW.

I was impressed by the M&P 40 so much it is on my list of guns to own someday. Although i might pay to get the brinks logo imprinted on the slide in memory.

• Like 1

Sorry but for anyone who is not aware slide and barrel to frame fit has everything to do with accuracy!

If it's for the handgun forget it. I bought one new and sold it shortly after. Worst accuracy of any handgun I ever owned! Slide to frame fit was sloppy and the barrel rattled in the slide. Sent it back to S&W. They said it was fine. I told them they were full of crap and sold it!

I've tried the M&P 9 and I really enjoyed shooting it and I was very accurate with it too. This was also a rental gun that looked like it had been to hell and back, but it worked great. In addition to my own experience with the gun, I have seen so many positive reviews of the M&P pistols... So I don't think it's fair to say that because of your one bad experience that M&P's suck. It more likely sounds to me that you just were the unfortunate one that got stuck with a rare lemon.

I'm jealous. Have to go to work soon and no phone call

I waited a little more than 2 weeks for my M&P to arrive, and it finally arrived last week. I dunno why it took so long, it took a week for S&W just to ship it and then another week for it to get here. It was well worth the wait though and Jim Flynn was a pleasure to do business with. And he had a great price for it.

Now I just need to find time to get to the range and put some rounds through it! I have a Comp-tac OWB ordered and will probably go with a M-TAC or custom-made holster for IWB.

It is a little.... Its more like a Glock then anything I guess...can you blame em :)

I'm not familiar with the Sigma, but I would agree that the M&P is fairly similar to a Glock. (And BTW, I didn't give you a -1, which I see now is up to -6!)

Define accuracy. Is it a bullseye gun? Nope, it is a combat gun, first and foremost with emphasis on reliability over precision.

Is it going to shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards? No, but it is far more accurate than most shooters. In a year and a half of USPSA I have yet to see one shooter, pro or amature either at the local matches, or Area matches, or NATIONALS, make a comment that the M&P was not accurate or the play in the slide was bad.

At the same time... all the fancy SVI's, STI's, Cameron's, and other guns, that can shoot 1" at 50 yards, that are tighter than a 12 year ... have extremely tight, were breaking down and jamming any time a spec of sand blew into the frame of the gun. So which gun is a POS?

The reason why the combat guns are so reliable is in part due to the generous slide to frame fit, not as tight of a chamber, etc.

Did M&P's have issue when they first came out? Absolutely, and they were corrected. But look, we are all adults here... for 99.5% of the people on the forum, myself included, it is about the indian, not the arrow.

Having switched from a $1,000 race gun to a $4,000 race gun, I am now, finally, after 3 to 4 matches a month, and 2 major matches, and 25,000 rounds of ammo, and finally starting to appreciate some of the small things about what makes a purpose built gun so, however I am not going to say if I shoot a stock M&P it is going to somehow hold me back.

Look at H&K, their sponsored shooters, they had a team of about 8 people that were all shooting HK USPs and P30's at Nationals last year. The most work any gun had was a modest trigger job, and most were shooting stock out from the factory. All are at the top levels of the game. Then you can take a custom gun, put it in the hands of common people, and they still can't shoot their way out of a paper bag.

In most people's cases, I find the whole this gun is bad because xxxxxxxxxx (insert excuse), is a crutch for people where they should be saying...

"I suck because I do not practice with what I have, and am not proficient in its use and manipulation, so I am going to believe some marketing piece because it is easier than admitting it is me."

As long as the gun goes bang every time, and the bullets go out the right way and hit the paper, the issues beyond that are almost always the user, not the firearm.

Just food for thought.

• Like 3