this_is_nascar

DA/SA vs. Striker Fired

As some of you may know, I've narrowed my 9mm search down to the Ruger SR9 and Beretta 92A1/92FS. On the Beretta message board, this turned into a discussion about DA/SA vs. Striker Fired pistols. I'm curious as to your thoughts and opinions of the two. Since we really can't carry in NJ, I'm sure that my play into your response too. So, which do you prefer and why?

Hmm well most striker fired pistols, if not all?, are polymer framed. Most SA/DA pistols are steel or alloy framed.

I like them both. Striker-fired pistols have a trigger pull that is a bit stronger and not as 'clean', if you will, as a SA trigger. I enjoy shooting striker fired pistols, I mean I love shooting all different kinds of pistols! I will say that I prefer the SA trigger over everything, and I own many more DA/SA pistols than I do striker fired. I also like how you can carry or choose to shoot a DA/SA many different ways.

I also much prefer a steel frame over a polymer frame, but that is just my personal liking.

For the most part, DA/SA(ones with hammer) will have a cleaner and shorter SA pull. Most striker fired pistols have consistent trigger pull.

Exceptions are HK P7, Walther P99 AS, etc.

For the 2 pistols you mentioned, they are different in terms of ergonmics. The SR9 has a much smaller grip and will fit smaller hands better than the 92. The trigger pull on the SR9 is hit or miss and the reset is relatively longer. The trigger pull can smooth out after break in and pull and reset can be fixed by installing a Ghost connector. The Beretta has better fit and finish if that's important to you and it has a nicer trigger pull as well in SA.

I have both (Ruger is the SR9c since mag will be limited to 10 anyway in NJ so I went for the little guy) and the Ruger definitely is more comfy to hold.

I much prefer Strikerfired or DAO over DA/SA. Strikerfired you have a the same pull everytime. I have seen people under stress with DA/SA nosedive the first shot because of that long pull and then heel the next shot because it isnt consistent. IMHO. With that said I do have a 92FS and love it.

DA/SA for me. I just enjoy it more over striker fired. Not saying that striker fired is bad... I just like the DA/SA better.

OK, now stop debating it and go with that Beretta 92A1 already!!! LOL! Definitely a better pistol over the SR9, in my opinion. Here are some pics to motivate you :spiteful: :

Beretta92A1b.jpg

92SW_2.jpg

I much prefer Strikerfired or DAO over DA/SA. Strikerfired you have a the same pull everytime

Yeah the same crappy pull. I know I know not all striker fired guns have crappy triggers. Its kinda mushy in my opinion though. With a little practice you hardly even notice the first shot in a da/sa pistol anyway. Besides, it's only one shot. If you are target shooting you can cock it before the first shot anyway.

Yeah the same crappy pull. I know I know not all striker fired guns have crappy triggers. Its kinda mushy in my opinion though. With a little practice you hardly even notice the first shot in a da/sa pistol anyway. Besides, it's only one shot. If you are target shooting you can cock it before the first shot anyway.

You think in terms of one shot maybe missing paper. I think in terms of that first shot missing my inteded threat and hitting some innocent person.

The only time I ever start in DA is when I have to decock for USPSA.

All my training, target shooting, etc, is done all SA. I do practice shooting in DA just in case, but I much prefer SA because every trigger pull is not only consistent, but it's also so smooth and crisp!

What is this DA/SA the triggers are inconsistent? That's only if you decock to DA. I would guesstimate that most DA/SA shooters shoot in SA.

Of course it does not matter if you c0ck the hammer on a DA/SA. The entire argument about consistent trigger pull is about first shot upon unholstering the pistol. In the event a rapid first shot is required (I am assuming most people are smart enough to decock a DA/SA unless they are shooting at a range) then a consistent trigger pull is desired. Whether it's for carry or for matches.

• Like 1

You think in terms of one shot maybe missing paper. I think in terms of that first shot missing my inteded threat and hitting some innocent person.

Which he doesnt have to worry about. If you are missing and hitting a bystander at 5-7 yards then you have to work on your accuracy anyway. If the distances of gunfights were 15 to 25 yards then yeah you have a valid point. However gun battles are usually 5 yard dances. Thats when there is a gunfight. What percentage of guys actually fire a weapon in your entire careers? Does anyone know what it is?

In my opinion the OP has information overload at this point. It's like going out to eat and having a huge menu to choose from. You can't decide! Hes gotta commit at this point. I have a beretta 92, a 1911, and 2 striker fired guns. Xd in 45 and m&p in 40. If he wants to try them out to see for himself shoot me a pm. We can end all this silliness and get this man a pistol!

Which he doesnt have to worry about. If you are missing and hitting a bystander at 5-7 yards then you have to work on your accuracy anyway. If the distances of gunfights were 15 to 25 yards then yeah you have a valid point. However gun battles are usually 5 yard dances. Thats when there is a gunfight. What percentage of guys actually fire a weapon in your entire careers?

Does anyone know what it is?

In my opinion the OP has information overload at this point. It's like going out to eat and having a huge menu to choose from. You can't decide! Hes gotta commit at this point. I have a beretta 92, a 1911, and 2 striker fired guns. Xd in 45 and m&p in 40. If he wants to try them out to see for himself shoot me a pm. We can end all this silliness and get this man a pistol!

I second the motion....all in favor...

IMHO, the Beretta 92FS is a better buy for a number of reasons:

#1. Inexpensive military surplus magazines.

#2. 15 round magazines are widely available. The SR9 only has 17 rounders and 10 rounders. I just have this annoyance about getting a neutered gun, although you can have your 17 rounders pinned.

#3. Second strike capability with the DA hammer.

#4. Availability of the conversion kit.

Like I said before, the invitation is open. PM me and I'll meet you at Hagues tonight and you can shoot my Beretta 92 as long as I can come in under your membership.

I personally did not like the SR9 when I shot it - for the same reason I didn't like the Browning Hi-Power - I felt the sights were too high. I also didn't like the size of the safety. But you are not buying a gun for me, you are buying it for you.

If you *love* the SR9, buy the SR9. Life is too short to buy a gun you only like. Buy the gun you love.

Thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it. Sorry if I'm rubbing anyone the wrong way in asking all these questions. You need to understand this will be my only non-.22 pistrol purchase and my last pistol purchase for sometime. I want to get it right and the only way I know how to get an understanding is to read, watch footage and ask questions, all of which I've been doing.

Thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it. Sorry if I'm rubbing anyone the wrong way in asking all these questions. You need to understand this will be my only non-.22 pistrol purchase and my last pistol purchase for sometime. I want to get it right and the only way I know how to get an understanding is to read, watch footage and ask questions, all of which I've been doing.

I understand completely but the problem with the internet is there is waaaay to much information. Conflicting and ignorant opinions everywhere. Enough to make your head spin. You can get engrossed in the research and forget to come up for air. You really have to shoot the guns and then decide. You've done the research, now you gotta test drive and buy.

The safety is off on that 92FS in the pic! :D

:rolleyes:

It's off on the 1911 too... So??? Whats your point??? My guns are never loaded at home, so no need for the safety to be on... I also always do a mag and chamber check every time I handle them at home, even though I keep ammo and guns totally separated in the house. Why I'm even wasting my time to even explain this, I have no idea... :rolleyes:

Of course it does not matter if you c0ck the hammer on a DA/SA. The entire argument about consistent trigger pull is about first shot upon unholstering the pistol. In the event a rapid first shot is required (I am assuming most people are smart enough to decock a DA/SA unless they are shooting at a range) then a consistent trigger pull is desired. Whether it's for carry or for matches.

Hmm I am sort of confused. My first shot when I unholster my DA/SA pistols is in SA...and every shot after that is SA....so...? That is what I consider consistent trigger pull.

I'd say if you can swing it, buy one of each... I like different types of beers, different flavors of ice cream, different calibers, so why not like different styles of triggers, its America! I don't know anyone who brought just got one gun and just kept one gun. you are gonna get more believe me, it's addictive and fun.

Hmm I am sort of confused. My first shot when I unholster my DA/SA pistols is in SA...and every shot after that is SA....so...? That is what I consider consistent trigger pull.

People seem to forget that most SA/DA guns can be safely be carried cocked and locked...

:rolleyes:

It's off on the 1911 too... So??? Whats your point??? My guns are never loaded at home, so no need for the safety to be on... I also always do a mag and chamber check every time I handle them at home, even though I keep ammo and guns totally separated in the house. Why I'm even wasting my time to even explain this, I have no idea... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't know that either. My post, even if inane, was made in completely good humor. I am not judging, just poking fun. It's your gun, your family, your home... Carry right on. You, however, found extra time not only to "explain" this, as you say, in a rather standoffish manner, with overabundance of eye-rolls, but also to apparently downgrade my post.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't know that either. My post, even if inane, was made in completely good humor. I am not judging, just poking fun. It's your gun, your family, your home... Carry right on. You, however, found extra time not only to "explain" this, as you say, in a rather standoffish manner, with overabundance of eye-rolls, but also to apparently downgrade my post.

Since you were kidding, then +1 for you. Some guys on gun boards (not this one in particular) get off on criticising others about safety and etc, when they have no clue what they're talking about... so I thought you were doing that. Written communication is a difficult medium to understand someones tone sometimes. :)

• Like 1