Sivl32

A 1911 that works correctly is just as rare as a Glock that doesn’t

"Case in point: I own a ~$500 M1911, a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec model. It's a ittle fancier than their GI model, but the same parkerized pistol. I've only put about 200 rounds through it, but it has functioned just fine. Even with cheap $5 magazines, it feeds and functions without a hitch."

Shoot 2k in a weekend and report back. Even a Llama can probably survive 200 rounds. That doesnt make it a quality 1911.....

• Like 1

My Colt .45 Combat Elite had issues with 1 of 3 10 rd mags I had purchased . It is fine with the other mags . It FTFs with the one mag. Glad I figured that out during training. Aside from that , it had 1 FTE . I have shot about 1k rounds through it , I am the 3rd owner of the gun. It is going to the gunsmith for a little work , since when I handle it well and do not ride the recoil it ejects right into my forehead/eye protection. .So it needs a bit of shaping up. It is not fun coming home with lead circles all over my forehead , plus , a shell to the eye during a situation in home would not be helpful.

I have not shot it enough to give a fully formed opinion it , but I will be doing a bit more round heavy training with it in the coming months ( especially since I just used P2P # 2 on a nice revolver) . For my next gun ,I like the CZ 75 .40..my husband has one and I can just shoot that thing correctly and accurately each and every time .

Anyway , plenty told me they have never had a 1911 make it through a training , and , honestly , my gun was the only one that had an issue in the class :) With the magazine finicky-ness known to me know ( just bought some McCormicks as directed) we'll see how it does in the next few training classes I do .

As for the guy in the video .. I don't have the experience to agree with him or not , but he certainly believes what he is saying. His resume sounds lengthy so I'm sure he is basing his opinion on his own experience ((shrug)) . I can deal with the tool-ish shirt , since it is on a guy with a pretty decent build ( plus I am into MMA. Hate Ed Hardy shirts though) . Admit it men , if a hot girl was wearing a tight fitting Ed Hardy or Tapout shirt would you live with it :)

With every match, I see less and less Glocks around. Tooo much Kool Aid.

Wipes koolaid off mouth and stumbles... don't yous tells me whens I hads enough

to drinks, i tells you whens i hads enough to drink... now gimme my keys to my

gun safe....

That's interesting actually. Never been to a major match like that, but locally I still

see a lot of Glock action.

I'm like a hair trigger pull away from committing to a 34 for my dedicated production

gun, don't add confusion to the mix! LOL!

Ahh, James Yeager of Tactical Response strikes again. That guy is a platinum-level shite-stirrer .

You may remember him from a previous brouhaha:

http://www.thefirear...training-video/

http://www.thefirear...training-video/

James is not a bad guy....as far as his "Performance" overseas, I wasnt there, and I wont judge him based on something i didnt witness..otheres who HAVE been there do not hold him in too high aregard after some of his actions. THAT SAID..i knwo a lot of people who have taken one or more of his courses, and very few have a bad word to say about the classes or material..however, like i said before he one of those "this is Y Class so its my way ot no way' kind of guys.

gun safe....

That's interesting actually. Never been to a major match like that, but locally I still

I'm like a hair trigger pull away from committing to a 34 for my dedicated production

Glocks ahve several things going for them.

#1; Simplicity... Trigger, Slide release, Mag release..that's IT for controls

#2; Takedown.. Slide, Barrel Spring Frame.. that's IT. you dont ever HAVE to break it down fartehr than that

#3: It's grunt proof...ALL you need to maintain it is a Cleaning rod, Brush (Supplied with the gun), Patches, and CLP..and a tooth brush. Brush the bbl, swap with patches, brush the crud out of the slide, and 1 drop of oil on each frame hook, and the transfer bar..period....No pins to pull, no springs flying off into the hinterlands..a monkey could be trained to maintain this weapon

#4 Accuracy... It will hit "Minute of Shittum" all day long..it was designed as a service pistol and it excells in that role.

#5 Price it is consistantly one of the least expensive service pistols out there.

These 5 things are what made the Glock take the LE market by storm..and they also work just as well for Jane and John Citizen as well. I have NOTHING against them..i've carried one and trusted it for the past 20 years, shot more through my issued weapon than probably 90% of my co-workers combinednever had an issue, except the Gen-1 magazines that had to be physically pulled loose from the gun. that said, i PREFER my 1911's but that has not stopped me from having a personally owned G-23 as well as a G-19.

This guy is a biased, obvioulsy. Those of us that know how to properly care for a 1911 can keep them running all the time. The secret? LOTS OF OIL.

A 1911 will NEVER jam if its oily....

They run reliably if you take care of them.....well what if you can't? I want a gun that's going to run all the time, whether I throw CLP, motor oil, or piss in it. That's just me. Yes guns need maintenance, but I'd like it to need the least amount as possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dump on 1911's. I'll NEVER purchase a Glock, and my next pistol purchase will be a 1911. I'm simply replying to your comment.

James is not a bad guy.... ...

Oh I agree with you, and I might actually consider training with him at some point (as long as there isn't a photographer standing next to the target I'm shooting at). However, he strikes me as missing some internal controls...lots of tactical, not much tact, so to speak. I've taken instruction from highly opinionated people before, just have to engage some filters (most memorable was getting motorcycle racing instruction from Keith Code. Great rider and instructor, just had to filter out the rabid scientologist part).

Dunno what the "overseas performance" you're referring to is about though.

gun safe....

The 34 is awesome. Drink the Kool aid.

How about we settle this like it should have been earlier in the thread.

Everyone should own a Glock and a 1911, no one of the other, BOTH and as many as both as you like, I'd lean more towards more 1911's then Glocks, but that's just me. Remember the more the merrier.. :icon_e_biggrin:

Now for j0n, now tell me, in a HD/SD situation, when whatever gun you used was taken for evidence, what would you rather give up, your 1911, or Glock??? :icon_mrgreen:

There, I think that about covers it..

Everyone should own a Glock and a 1911, no one of the other, BOTH and as many as both as you like, I'd lean more towards more 1911's then Glocks, but that's just me. Remember the more the merrier.. :icon_e_biggrin:

As of yesterday, I do. Picked up my Gen4 Glock 19 from A-n-A yesterday and it's keeping my three 1911's company in the safe as of last night. :good:

No glock for me! As stated earlier if I wanna shoot monkeys out of trees while aiming at targets on the ground then maybe :D For my crunch and ticker compatability I look to HK and S&W M&P.

"They run reliably if you take care of them.....well what if you can't?"

My former competition 1911 would gum its self to a stop right around 2k. But if you wiped it out and pissed on it you could easily get another 500 out of it.

No glock for me! As stated earlier if I wanna shoot monkeys out of trees while aiming at targets on the ground then maybe :D For my crunch and ticker compatability I look to HK and S&W M&P.

My former competition 1911 would gum its self to a stop right around 2k. But if you wiped it out and pissed on it you could easily get another 500 out of it.

lol!

Now for j0n, now tell me, in a HD/SD situation, when whatever gun you used was taken for evidence, what would you rather give up, your 1911, or Glock???

Well, I will never own a glock :p but as I have said before, I would fork over a $30,000 weapon if it meant keeping me or my family safe. The price of a weapon I use for SD is inconsequential to me.

Glocks ahve several things going for them.

#1; Simplicity... Trigger, Slide release, Mag release..that's IT for controls

#2; Takedown.. Slide, Barrel Spring Frame.. that's IT. you dont ever HAVE to break it down fartehr than that

#3: It's grunt proof...ALL you need to maintain it is a Cleaning rod, Brush (Supplied with the gun), Patches, and CLP..and a tooth brush. Brush the bbl, swap with patches, brush the crud out of the slide, and 1 drop of oil on each frame hook, and the transfer bar..period....No pins to pull, no springs flying off into the hinterlands..a monkey could be trained to maintain this weapon

#4 Accuracy... It will hit "Minute of Shittum" all day long..it was designed as a service pistol and it excells in that role.

#5 Price it is consistantly one of the least expensive service pistols out there.

Don't gotta convince me, I have had one too many glasses of glockaid.

I use a Glock for matches and it's awesome.

Everyone should own a Glock and a 1911, no one of the other, BOTH

I have done this and if these were the only two guns I had I'd be happy.

.... OK, that's just lie but yes get both.

Which is EXACTLY what I look for in a gun. Like I said, I wasn't trying to hate on 1911's, simply debate the "If you take great care of it, it will run reliably." I haven't even run a patch through my SR9 in months, and I've run about 500 rounds through several different matches with it. Not one issue. I'm going to see how far I can take it.

Oh I agree with you, and I might actually consider training with him at some point (as long as there isn't a photographer standing next to the target I'm shooting at). However, he strikes me as missing some internal controls...lots of tactical, not much tact, so to speak. I've taken instruction from highly opinionated people before, just have to engage some filters (most memorable was getting motorcycle racing instruction from Keith Code. Great rider and instructor, just had to filter out the rabid scientologist part).

Dunno what the "overseas performance" you're referring to is about though.

He was working as a Private Contractor in Iraq, and there was an "incident' it's well enough documenetd, but if you google his name and Iraq, you'll get the story.