Sivl32

A 1911 that works correctly is just as rare as a Glock that doesn’t

1911 was designed with a raised mainspring? Really, news to me... Also, 1911s suck because their owners are DBs, I guess Glocks suck too then.

I would like to know how the hell you hold a 1911 and don't engage the grip safety. I haven't held one that often, but unless you ignore the top half of the grip you cant NOT depress it.

I love 1911's...alot. Have many, many of them. With that being said, I have to agree with some of what that glock loving, 1911hating guy is saying. The 1911 can be temperamental indeed. If you do not know the inherent design and operation of the 1911 and do not know how to field strip and do a reliability check on this weapon then you really should not be carrying it for self defense. Not only that but the 1911 operator should be comfortable and efficient in clearing any sort of malfunction in the field like its second nature. That statement holds true for any handgun including glocks.

Like Larry Vickers said, glocks are like lawnmowers, put gas and oil in them and they will run fine. The 1911 is more like a high performance sports car. You have to make sure it's tuned up properly on a regular basis or else it will run like cr@p. The 1911 is not a beginners handgun since it must be maintained properly for optimal performance. A glock requires little maintainence to run well.

Yes, the original 1911 had an arched ms housing.

When used as a carry weapon issued by the us military, many soldiers would wrap tape around the entire grip and grip safety to insure that the grip safety was depressed at all times. An ugly fix but it worked. You can also pin down the grip safety or grind a little off the grip safety tang to disable it. More aestheticly pleasing.

1911 was designed with a raised mainspring? Really, news to me... Also, 1911s suck because their owners are DBs, I guess Glocks suck too then.

I would like to know how the hell you hold a 1911 and don't engage the grip safety. I haven't held one that often, but unless you ignore the top half of the grip you cant NOT depress it.

Ok so today I choose a GLOCK, the year is 2012 and the 1911 is dated.

But a service grade military 1911 is about as reliable as anything else. Look at the original trials at the turn of the century.

Problems arise when people including smiths mess whith them Or when manufacturers vary the original design.

With exception of SA and STI very few 1911's are true to JMB's original design.

Shake it, if it's loose it shoots.

A 1911 that's as loose as a GLOCK should be as reliable as a GLOCK.

Just my $.02

• Like 1

If a 1911 that works correctly is as rare as a Glock that does not, there must be a shitload of Glocks that don't work correctly. :wacko:

Now, I'm off with my son to CJRPC to shoot a stock 1911 that has never let me down..........ever. :icon_e_biggrin:

Some of the best trained and experienced operators such as Navy Seals, Marine Force Recon, FBI Hostage Rescue Team, and LAPD Special Operations Division still issue and use 1911's in .45. That says alot to me! A single .45 well placed will drop someone just as well as 2 or 3 similarly placed 9 mm's. If my life depended on it I would take a .45 with ball ammo over a glock with any 9mm!

Some of the best trained and experienced operators such as Navy Seals, Marine Force Recon, FBI Hostage Rescue Team, and LAPD Special Operations Division still issue and use 1911's in .45. That says alot to me! A single .45 well placed will drop someone just as well as 2 or 3 similarly placed 9 mm's. If my life depended on it I would take a .45 with ball ammo over a glock with any 9mm!

Do you have any info to back this up. I have seen a "well" placed 9mm round drop somebody just as effectively.

My life does depend on it and I choose 9mm Glock. That being said I have no problems with my .45 and love my Kimber.

Being able to afford the best CCW pistol available. I choose a G19 or G26. Stock, Stock, Stock!!!

I've carried a 1911 and BHP but think the GLOCK safety system is more positive.

Do you have any info to back this up. I have seen a "well" placed 9mm round drop somebody just as effectively.

I think the chart that you posted is all the proof I need. If you notice, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, and .45 auto all have much larger wound channels than the 9mm. That indicates more shock, trauma and tissue injury, and that is what ceases threats.

Iam done. Have a nice day everyone!

From the training courses I have been on, every student that has brought a 1911 has had issues (including MrsWombat with her fairly expensive Kimber). Predominantly the issues have been due to the magazines, (but not always). I wouldn't however say that means 1911s suck and Glocks are cool.

A browse of 1911 forums does seem to indicate a greater percentage of 1911 owners send their 1911s either back to the manufacturers or to gun smiths for 'tuning' which can be several hundred+ dollars (if not more). I don't see this as the case for Glocks (aside from some of the recent Gen 3/4 issues).

Given the choice, I would choose a Glock for HD/CCW over a 1911, however this is in part due to:

• extra capacity magazines
  • no external safety - as I don't currently train sufficiently to ensure I operate this correctly

If you are looking to depend on a 1911 for SD/HD, then I believe it needs a greater level of training/practice than a Glock to ensure that you remember to engage/disengage the safety under stress, and that you have even greater trigger awareness/discipline due to the (usually) lighter triggers.

I will however be taking my Ed Brown 1911 to a GFH course to see how well it copes compared to the PPQ :onthequiet: . Then again considering the price difference is this even a relevant comparison?

Just my personal view...

TheWombat

This assumption is biased. He is comparing a style/type of gun versus a specific company brand/type. Glocks are only made by glock, and they control all aspects, choose all materials, design every part.

"1911" ' s are a style/type of pistol made by tons of different companies, all with their own tweaks, materials, tolerances, etc. How can you compare?

He really should be testing on comparing a specific company's stock 1911 offering versus a particular Glock model. Like a Sig Traditional stock 1911 versus a Glock 21. He claims his experience of encountering 1911's in his classes gives him the evidence he needs, but I'm willing to bet he never saw one particular brand consistently from class to class, nor does it seem like he has taken note of the brand, like "I've always saw Colt 1911's consistently going down".

The best pistol is the best one for the situation/what you are most comfortable. There is no one answer for this. If I am carrying concealed going to the shopping mall I would prefer to have a Beretta 8045 mini Cougar tucked in my back, if that is not available I would take a G19 second. If I am heading into a combat situation I will take a Colt Series 70 1911 as it is the sidearm I am most comfortable as using as a hammer of destruction. The best sidearm to have on hand is the one you have trained with the most and are the most proficient with.

This guy's a Maximum Troll. Anyone that wears shirts like that (Affliction, Ed Hardy or whatever they are called) can't be taken seriously. He was probably bored or needed something to gen up pageviews

Thank you! Exactly my thought with the shirt. I didn't even bother to watch it. I know it will be a waste of time.

I completely agree with SpecialK. The best gun is the one that you feel most comfortable with.

Thanks alot, I just wasted 45 minutes watching this guys videos. Although I differ with some of his opinions, on some level I like this stroke. It is a good thread if it gets you thinking, this did. I have carried both Glocks and a 1911. I like both. I have carried several very different guns. I had one very expensive, very hard to get pistol that I had carried for a few years take a shit on me during a qualification. I sent it back to the factory, got it fixed and parked it in the gun safe ever since. Maybe I should trade it for another Glock or 1911???? I think you need to make sure whatever you are relying on works for what you are intending to use it for. Just my opinion, just like the guy in the video with the shirts that are too tight up above, everyones got an opinion, doesn't make it right or wrong, just mine.

The best pistol is the best one for the situation/what you are most comfortable. There is no one answer for this. If I am carrying concealed going to the shopping mall I would prefer to have a Beretta 8045 mini Cougar tucked in my back, if that is not available I would take a G19 second. If I am heading into a combat situation I will take a Colt Series 70 1911 as it is the sidearm I am most comfortable as using as a hammer of destruction. The best sidearm to have on hand is the one you have trained with the most and are the most proficient with.

Here, here. Well said.

Although I agree with the gun you are most comfortable with however the small of the back is the worst place to CCW.

1. You have an awkward draw that takes the longest.

2. Reholstering you are more than likely lazering everything.

3. You have no defense against a gun grab.

4. If you have a shirt on and bend over now you are maybe exposing your weapon.

5. For what ever reason if you fall backward on it, good luck.

As a firearms instructor that is the last place I tell anyone to carry their weapon. It may look cool on tv but in the real word it doesnt work.

I think the chart that you posted is all the proof I need. If you notice, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, and .45 auto all have much larger wound channels than the 9mm. That indicates more shock, trauma and tissue injury, and that is what ceases threats.

Iam done. Have a nice day everyone!

I can end a threat with a well place .22lr. So your point is moot.

Those arent ball ammo wounds. Those all are JHP.

I won't say I disagree with him, but he's wrong on a lot of his points. 1) grip angle. An arched or flat mainspring doesn't change the angle of the front strap. If the glock doesn't point right for you, I wouldn't voluntarily choose it.

2) The 1911 was originally designed with a flat mainspring housing. 3) I've seen a hell of a lot less than 15,000 glocks, and I have seen plenty of them fail, but the rate is way less than a box stock 1911. 3) I like the g19 best of the glocks, but if you have wide meaty hands I'd go 17 or baby glock as a nice forceful mag insert can take a good hunk of flesh with it that can actually cause malfunctions. It also bleeds like the dickens. 4) unless you have small hands and a high grip, a grip safety with a bump is hard to not activate. The skinny mil spec grip safety I agree with him about. 5) the gs prevents you from picking it up and shooting it in awkward positions. Compared to similar guns, the glock is damn near the most picky about limp writing. 6) be ignores durability. It takes a lot to shoot out a glock and a 1911, but I've seen more eol cracked glock frames than i have worn out 1911 frames, and the glocks took a lot less time to get there.

You can get a glock reliable 1911, but it is likely going to cost you at lest as much as three glocks. Also, it's not like glocks are your only choice for box stock reliability with capacity.

Although I agree with the gun you are most comfortable with however the small of the back is the worst place to CCW.

1. You have an awkward draw that takes the longest.

2. Reholstering you are more than likely lazering everything.

3. You have no defense against a gun grab.

4. If you have a shirt on and bend over now you are maybe exposing your weapon.

5. For what ever reason if you fall backward on it, good luck.

As a firearms instructor that is the last place I tell anyone to carry their weapon. It may look cool on tv but in the real word it doesnt work.

When you are in flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt on your way to class with nothing but a pencil above your ear sometimes small of the back is your only option. A long draw is better than no draw, if you pull your CCW re-holstering is the last of your concerns, you are doing a terrible job of concealment if a gun grab is a possibility as they cannot grab what they do not know exists, no matter where you carry on your body you need to be aware of what movements would show or print the weapon and avoid these movements (bend with your knees not you back to avoid having your shirt come up), and if you fall down that easy should you really be trusting yourself with a firearm :D .

When you are in flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt on your way to class with nothing but a pencil above your ear sometimes small of the back is your only option. A long draw is better than no draw, if you pull your CCW re-holstering is the last of your concerns, you are doing a terrible job of concealment if a gun grab is a possibility as they cannot grab what they do not know exists, no matter where you carry on your body you need to be aware of what movements would show or print the weapon and avoid these movements (bend with your knees not you back to avoid having your shirt come up), and if you fall down that easy should you really be trusting yourself with a firearm :D .

We can agree to disagree.