Krdshrk

Shooting reported at Ohio High School

At least 3 injured, but they don't say how bad.

This quote got me...

"My daughter is at the school and she's texting me saying they're in a closet right now and they're OK," a parent speaking to CNN affiliate WKYC said.

Yes... Hiding in the closet helps......

At least 3 injured, but they don't say how bad.

This quote got me...

Yes... Hiding in the closet helps......

You have to remember that they are kids and scared. When you have an Active Shooter situation people can and will react differently.

You have to remember that they are kids and scared. When you have an Active Shooter situation people can and will react differently.

Maybe it's just me and common sense, but I wouldn't want to group up to create easier targets... Though, getting in tight in a closet with some female students woulda been OK to me in HS :D

All that means is: Criminals have free reign and all honest citizens that want to protect themselves are screwed!

Perhaps here in NJ, but OH has pretty lax gun laws, in fact OH has a Brady grade of 7 this year (down from 9 last year). In comparison, NJ has a 72.

http://www.bradycamp...ring_system.pdf

So this will only hurt the 2A cause in OH, and perhaps elsewhere.

(edit: whoops, meant to quote reloaderguy)

Edited by bobtimmons

I read elsewhere that he was bullied and was an outcast. He finally flipped. His Facebook rant is below.

-----

http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/27/facebook-message-apparently-from-suspected-ohio-high-school-shooter-die-all-of-you/#ixzz1nc6edDzV

A Facebook page appearing to belong to T.J. Lane, the suspected shooter at Chardon High School in Ohio, includes an essay describing a fantasy massacre that ends with the chilling words, “Die, all of you.”

Lane, suspected of shooting classmates at his school Monday morning, appears to have taken to his Facebook page on Dec. 30 to post a rant about a “mistreated” man who takes revenge on the “selfish and conceited.”

“He longed for only one thing, the world to bow at his feet,” the posting reads. “They too should feel his secret fear. The dismal drear.”

On Jan. 20, the Facebook user — with the name “Tj Lane” — claimed he wrote the post while at school, commenting underneath the post, “much obliged to all who ‘liked’ this. Wrote it myself in class one day.”

Although this particular “Tj Lane” doesn’t say on his Facebook profile where he is from, at least 38 of his Facebook friends self-identify as being from Chardon, Ohio — including at least six who attend Chardon High School.

The photos posted on the Facebook account resemble a yearbook photo of Lane published online Monday by the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Describing a fantasy rampage, the Facebook user wrote, “So, to the castle he proceeds, like an ominous breeze through the trees. ‘Stay back!’ The Guards screamed as they were thrown to their knees. ‘Oh God, have mercy, please!’”

It then ends, “Die, all of you.”

Read the full Facebook post:

In a time long since, a time of repent, The Renaissance. In a quaint lonely town, sits a man with a frown. No job. No family. No crown. His luck had run out. Lost and alone. The streets were his home. His thoughts would solely consist of “why do we exist?” His only company to confide in was the vermin in the street. He longed for only one thing, the world to bow at his feet. They too should feel his secret fear. The dismal drear. His pain had made him sincere. He was better than the rest, all those ones he detests, within their castles, so vain. Selfish and conceited. They couldn’t care less about the peasents they mistreated. They were in their own world, it was a joyous one too. That castle, she stood just to do all she could to keep the peasents at bay, not the enemy away. They had no enemies in their filthy orgy. And in her, the castles every story, was just another chamber of Lucifer’s Laboratory. The world is a sandbox for all the wretched sinners. They simply create what they want and make themselves the winners. But the true winner, he has nothing at all. Enduring the pain of waiting for that castle to fall. Through his good deeds, the rats and the fleas. He will have for what he pleads, through the eradication of disease. So, to the castle he proceeds, like an ominous breeze through the trees. “Stay back!” The Guards screamed as they were thrown to their knees. “Oh God, have mercy, please!” The castle, she gasped and then so imprisoned her breath, to the shallow confines of her fragile chest. I’m on the lamb but I ain’t no sheep. I am Death. And you have always been the sod. So repulsive and so odd. You never even deserved the presence of God, and yet, I am here. Around your cradle I plod. Came on foot, without shod. How improper, how rude. However, they shall not mind the mud on my feet if there is blood on your sheet. Now! Feel death, not just mocking you. Not just stalking you but inside of you. Wriggle and writhe. Feel smaller beneath my might. Seizure in the Pestilence that is my scythe. Die, all of you.

David Martokso contributed to this report.

the report I read said the shooter was an outcast that was bullied.

It's a bad thing to say this, but it may be a learning tool to be used across the country. The lesson is...don't be a bully, since you never know who may go crazy and just shoot your a$$ one day.

While I agree that we can learn from these tragedies and work on preventing them in the future, I CANNOT understand WHY the media exposes the personal findings of the shooter. These children are bullied, they are the same type that ponder suicide, and would do harm to others when pushed to the psychological breaking point. The media is giving what everyone of these mentally abused souls what they want. They want to be noticed, they want to get everyone's attention. From Columbine to present disturbed kids know if they want to make a statement, they can get themselves on TV post death for everyone to see by shooting up those that have done the most harm. Keep their identities from the breaking news reports, DO NOT allow their pictures, their stories to be on the front page of every newspaper the next morning. Give them the attention they wanted, and the next kid in the same circumstance will follow suit. You wont stop school shootings from happening, but your glorifying the act to those looking for that same attention and retribution by a society and his/her peers that have shunned them.

/rant

Assuming that the student is underage to own a firearm then do we know whether the firearm is from the student's parents, someone else, or illegal?

I struggle in situations such as this (albeit we have limited facts) in not holding the parents with some level of accountability, as my understanding is that the student is still a minor?

It is very unfortunate whenever incidents like this occur as it provides opportunities for the media and extreme pro/anti firearm people to turn it into an agenda for personal gain.

A sad day

TheWombat

• Like 1

Terrible situation.

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives says it has been given one handgun from the Ohio high school shooting scene to do an emergency trace.

While doing the emergency trace, the ATF lost track of the firearm somewhere in Mexico.

Bad joke?

• Like 3

From CNN

"Lane, who lived with his grandparents [...]. While he was known by many around Chardon High School, located 30 miles east of Cleveland, at the time of the shooting he was there to be transported to Lake Academy Alternative School in nearby Willoughby.

The school describes itself as a place for "at risk" students who are "reluctant learners" struggling with problems such as "substance abuse /chemical dependency, anger issues, mental health issues, truancy, delinquency, difficulties with attention/organization, and academic deficiencies."

Lane may have been dealing with his own family problems, according to reports by The Plain Dealer newspaper in Cleveland. Lane's father has been arrested several times for violent crimes against female acquaintances, including Lane's mother, the newspaper reported citing court documents. Between 1995 and 1997, Lane's first two years, his father Thomas Lane Jr. and his mother were both arrested for domestic violence against each other, the paper reported. His father also served prison time for assaulting a police officer and he also was charged with holding a different woman under running water and bashing her head into a wall, the newspaper reported."

TheWombat

A third student has died. How awful. Maybe they'll put the shooter to death. Ohio still uses ole sparky too.

CHARDON, Ohio – A third student died from injuries Tuesday a day after a teenager opened fire in a high school cafeteria, sending panicked students ducking under tables and running through the halls.

By Warren Dillaway, AP

Nancy Norsic, left, hugs her son after being reunited following a shooting on Monday at Chardon High School.

Demetrius Hewlin, 16, who had been in critical condition, died Tuesday morning. Russell King Jr., 17, died earlier in the morning, police said.

"We are very saddened by the loss of our son and others in our Chardon community," Hewlin's family said in a statement. "Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends. We will miss him very much but we are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."

I agree that bullying is a huge problem , but I disagree with the media's portrayal of it and its results. Mentally unstable people kill people. They also tend to be bullied because they are unstable. Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Also , antibullying programs are not working to reduce the bullying , the same way firearm crimes do not go down with gun laws.

Having teachers do all the intervening is not going to help a bullied child's cause. Bully proof the kid I say , give them the confidence and mental tools to know that bullies are the ones with the issues and that being bullied does not define them , and give them the physical skills and PERMISSION to hit and push back if they have to. And even after all that some kids will still be bullied. You have to give them the love and security at home to help balance the hurt . Tell the school by all means , and talk to the bully's parents. I would totally tell another parent I would press charges if their child harasses my child again. In fact , I know a friend who had a son getting bullied on the bus every day. All her meetings with the principle and all the punishment handed down to the bully did nothing. My friend then went to the police and made a report , and called the bully's parents personally and said the police would be called immediately the next time their son touches their kid and charges would be pressed against him. Low and behold , the bully got an aid to babysit him on the bus , and his parents proably threatened his life if he touched my friends kid again , becuase the parents now felt they were facing charges. You have to be the squeaky wheel , and you can't rely on the ineffective school policies to keep your kid safe.

All that aside , I think being mentally ill makes a kid a target for bullying and I think it takes a mentaly ill kid to murder. I don't think one leads to the other in a normal situation.

And you'll know if the gun was illegally owned and/or aquired ..because the media won't mention it. If it turns out to be legally owned by a grandparent that he was living with , it will be ALL over the news.

Now we know the gun. A Ruger .22. 10 rounds, 3 fatalities. The boyfriend of the murderer's ex girlfriend was grazed in the ear, so it's pretty clear the shooter was going for head shots.

As for ammo, he probably used Golden bullets or some other cheapo Walmart ammo and people here fret over which brand of premium hollow point they should use in their center-fire carry gun.

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_20066940

"Prosecutors said the student, 17-year-old T.J. Lane, admitted to taking a .22 Ruger semiautomatic pistol to school and firing 10 rounds at students sitting at a cafeteria table."

I'll also note that there seems to be no mention how he obtained the firearm which suggests it was illegally obtained. If it was a family gun there would be the wailing and gnashing of teeth from anti-gunners about guns in the home.

The only thing I can find is this:

Feb. 27, 2012: Seventeen-year-old T.J. Lane arrested following a multiple shooting in a school in Chardon, Ohio, outside of Cleveland. Three students died and two were wounded in the spree, which started in the school cafeteria as he and other students waited for buses to other schools. Authorities did not immediately say where they believe Lane got a .22-caliber handgun.