Wolfy

Tim's next lever gun

I noticed it has a top-mounted safety. :facepalm: This levergun is an example that some things are just not meant to be, but a safety on a lever-gun is akin to wearing a belt with suspenders.

• Like 1

Not my style.

Parker, my new Marlin guide gun has a side push button safety. It allows you to safely drop the hammer halfway to carry safe half-cocked. Or you can run it full cocked and locked like a 1911. I don't see a problem with those options?

Not my style.

Parker, my new Marlin guide gun has a side push button safety. It allows you to safely drop the hammer halfway to carry safe half-cocked. Or you can run it full cocked and locked like a 1911. I don't see a problem with those options?

I'm not a fan of the side push button safety either. Lever-actions are (I should say were) designed to carry safe on the half-cock notch. It's worked fine for more than a century. If need be, you can carry hammer down on an empty chamber until you're in the woods on stand for an extra margin of safety, or utilize the half-cock notch on the hammer which is still perfectly safe. I don't have the hammer-block safety on my Marlin's, and they have served me well.

Purists hate it so much, they resort to tactics like this:

http://www.beartooth...ch_notes.htm/52

Or this; someone who sells a replacement pin that looks like another screw in the frame:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm

There is no tactical advantage to a lever action, and the awkward reloads seal its fate as a non-tactical arm. I love leverguns, but with a collapsing stock flash hider and rails?

Actually, Glenn. Lever guns have been used for "battle" since they were created. They were created for defense. I see plenty of "tactical" bolt guns and no one is crying aout those. Now, I don't like this gun. BUT, if they dumped the stock and the safety and the flash suppressor and put a rail on top for a speed dot then it would serve it's purpose. I wouldn't mind a version in 357.

True, leverguns were certainly the assault weapons of their day.

I'm surprised Browning hasn't jumped on the bandwagon, but they are a more austere gunmaking group than others. A Browning BLR in .223 or .308 could suffice as a "tactical" lever gun if Browning or someone else made larger magazines for them. Not everyone is a fan of the BLR until they try one out. They are truly slick and can handle high-intensity cartridges.

I was contemplating a marlin 1894c in. 357. Either that or a henry big boy in .357

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Marlin has a lot less MIM parts if that matters to you. Henry is a local company in Bayonne. Both good American companies.

Marlin has a lot less MIM parts if that matters to you. Henry is a local company in Bayonne. Both good American companies.

Good choice. I would look for an old Marlin (pre-Marlington/Remlin) in .357 or .44 Mag. or a Winchester 94 in .44 Mag.

• Like 1

Help me out here.

I am confused as to what advantage a folding stock would have on this rifle.

Where would you put the sling swivel if needed?

As for the foreend rails, it seems that could chew up you hand and also limit where you can grip.

Wild West Guns already makes a single rail mount that will fit a laser/light on the magzine tube.

This leaves the whole fore end for your hand.

I notice this rifle does not have a top rail, just iron sights.

Wild West makes a single forward scout scope mount that can be used for a red dot.

XS Sight Systems make a scope mount and a full top rail that can mount pretty much anything you want.

Also curious as too why no big loop if they were going full tactical?

Just IMHO thinking out loud, but it looks like a solution in search of a problem. :rolleyes:

Bob