Big Mack

Akdal MKA 1919 in NJ!!

Whats up everyone. So i was in the sayreville/south river area just before and figured id stop by sayreville sportsman just to take a peek around and i noticed they had two MKA 1919's w/ 5 round mags their. I was under the impression that they were illegal in communist NJ, so i asked the guy "so if you buy one of these you guys must have to take the pistol grip off or something right?" and he said no not at all. why? To which i said "well im not a shotgun guy but i was under the impression that any autoloading shotgun can not also have a pistol grip, which would make this gun illegal. Then he mentioned something about autoloading turkey guns and max 5 round capacity and that it was legal. I looked it up and they make a CA legal one so maybe that was it but it was still an autoloading shotgun w/ a pistol grip..Every other site i went on all said can not be sold in NJ. Is there a loophole or something w/ this gun that circumnavigates this law? I don't even want to buy one (although it felt real good in my hands), im more curious if it legal or not

NJ law prohibits

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

3. A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock or a pistol grip; or a semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds. For purposes of this paragraph,"semi-automatic" means a firearm which fires a single projectile for each pull of the trigger and is self-reloading or automatically chambers a round, cartridge or bullet. For purposes of this paragraph "pistol grip" means a well defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the shotgun to be held and fired with one hand;

I want one but everybody seems to think they are pieces OS. Until I meet somebody with one I'm not interested.

Isn't this thing made overseas? If so, I think the GCA and subsequent Amendments and Executive Orders/ATF rulings would say it needs a lot of parts changed out before a mag larger than 5 rounds can go on it (for the rest of America). Not sure how that happens with something that has nothing in common with anything else.

This one is made in America so no mag limit concerns, although probably not legal in Jersey either. But I know most of you are moving out of NJ soon so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSlhePWitOA

How are they selling this then?? You would think that they should know its an illegal weapon. If someone was unaware of the law and bought it I'm sure a few weeks later the state police would be knocking on their door to confiscate it.

How are they selling this then?? You would think that they should know its an illegal weapon. If someone was unaware of the law and bought it I'm sure a few weeks later the state police would be knocking on their door to confiscate it.

The answer is you do something stupid like sell assault weapons in NJ without entering them in yoru assault weapon registry, and eventually NJ yanks your FFL or does that AND files charges. No idea what happens with the purchasers.

It wouldn't be the first time I heard of a dealer selling something that is not NJ compliant. The NJSP will probably tell the dealer to take them back from whom ever they sold them to.

It sounds like his justification was, "There are semi auto turkey hunting shotguns made with pistol grips... " ; so ergo "... this is legal !!!"

When in fact neither of them are legal in New Jersey , and it sounds like that person is either desperate for money and cutting corners/bamboozling people or simply lacks any brains,

Fielders Choice.

Im probably going to give the NJSP a call sometime this week and ask if its compliant with state laws, im not looking forward to parting with my new toy already. But the FFL ive purchased from says that it is compliant but after reading around im starting to have second thoughts, after all we are human and make mistakes...and hopefully its just a misunderstanding.

A little advice:

DO NOT CALL. The gun is illegal in NJ. No semi-auto shotguns can have a pistol grip.

NJS 2C:39-1w(3) states that the following is an assault weapon. "A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock."

IMO, you should take it back to the dealer and get your money back.

No firearm info is relayed to NICS when you purchase a firearm from a dealer. A dealer can also possess non-compliant firearms. It is up to them and you to know the laws.

so correct me if I am wrong, but by this logic, if an FFL is in possession of something nutty like an M60E4 or an M134 (or somthing class III) and they sell it to another individual (granted both had a huge brain-fart and went through with the transaction). A resident could be in possession of an illegal firearm through that process?

Take it to the dealer, show them the appropriate laws. Ask for your money back.

It is up to the dealer to know the laws, beyond that, while you must know the laws as well, I would venture to guess it would come down to "knowingly" taking possession.

Now you know.

Send me a private message with who the dealer is.