nino

Guns getting scarce?!

Some stuff needs to be watched. I keep hearing a lot about saigas not being imported anymore. I plan on getting a saiga 12 very soon

I believe that was blown out of proportion..not before it almost tripled the price though....

I really dont see any evidence that President Obama, if re-elected, will do anything at all the restrict gun sales or gun ownership in the USA.

This is what I have been saying all along. I really don't think Obama wants to touch any gun issues. As a matter of fact didn't he sign a bill letting people inside national Parks carry? I could be wrong but I would have been more worried if Hillary Clinton became president.

So does anyone know how many gun oweners are in the USA? i doubt it is still 80 million...

Wayne LaPierre just quoted 100 million gun owners in his 2012 annual meeting speech.

http://home.nra.org/pdf/Wayne_LaPierre_CPAC_2012.pdf

I really dont see any evidence that President Obama, if re-elected, will do anything at all the restrict gun sales or gun ownership in the USA.

What do you want him to do? Dance a jig while holding a sign saying, "I'm gonna get your guns"? Of course you don't see anything now - it's an election year. But if he wins a second term (and I really don't think Romney is a viable contender), he has nothing to lose. Just look to Illinois and especially Cook County for a preview of what may be coming down the road if he is re-elected. Don't be naive.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What do you want him to do? Dance a jig while holding a sign saying, "I'm gonna get your guns"? Of course you don't see anything now - it's an election year. But if he wins a second term (and I really don't think Romney is a viable contender), he has nothing to lose. Just look to Illinois and especially Cook County for a preview of what may be coming down the road if he is re-elected. Don't be naive.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob, that is exactly what I feel is true.

Hopefully the anti-gun incumbents in Congress will continue to maintain status quo by not trying to legislate more rediculous-do-nothing-but-punish-law-abiding-gun-owners types of laws.

That will only leave Bama with the crooked DOJ, rule by decree executive orders, and rule by regulatory powers of the BATF and State Dept.... I'm sure there's more...

Lets see. One thing he has been doing increasingly is to push the limits on executive orders, and his ability to effectively enact legislation through the executive branch without having to go through anyone else. There is also limited recourse against such an act other than popular opinion getting you tossed out of office.

There USED to be legislative veto of executive orders, but that went away. Currently all congress can do is cut funding to whatever executes the order. HAve the president veto that, THEN come back with a 2/3 majority to break the veto. SO basically, they might as well just pass an amendment to make whatever it is explicitly unconstitutional and let it go to court.

OR it can be taken to the supreme court. That has resulted in an executive order being repealed twice in the last 223 years.

So what COULD he do using that without any risk of resistance from the other two branches?

1) He could ban importation of ANY weapons or munitions that fall under certain criteria.

Kind of like the assault weapon import ban put in place by executive order. So imagine if all those foreign brands of ammo went poof. What would availability and pricing look like fro ammo? Could you continue to shoot? Odds are there would be little recourse to this. To date we have the order from Obama appointees to generate a report via the BATFE as to the viability and impact of banning the import of non-sporting shotguns. The basic conclusion of that report was that you could od it, jsut say that all shotguns without a specific exception are destructive devices rather than go with the blanket exception they have now. Barriers to that are opening up a can of worms by making a truly massive number of "non-fringe" shotgun owners felons overnight.

2) He could lean on the EPA.

So far, they have been saying no to repeated attempts at banning lead in ammo, but Obama has an election to win. He has set precedent by having them declare CO2 a pollutant in order to get access to regulating it that congress would not grant. He could provide direction to the EPA to regulate the manufacture of ammo, or the use of ammo in certain locations. A key milestone rapidly approaching that has not existed to date is the military having access to an effective and widely available lead free projectile. It has some teething issues compared to their new bonded core projectile that still uses lead, but who needs better when you have good enough. HE could also direct the EPA to start going after shooting ranges and hunting. Anyone involved with the operation of outdoor shooting ranges already know the EPA is a problem as they exist if you get their attention.

3) He can direct the DOJ and BATFE to do whatever.

It doesn't have to be constitutional, if it isn't it has to work it's way through the courts and actually lose in SCOTUS. The odds are in favor of the people getting screwed in that case. He's already stacked the deck with antis in DOJ and BATFE. You see more and more fishing going on regarding 4473s and mandatory sales tracking. Heck. Fast and furious was completely fabricated, and they STILL got their multiple long gun reporting upheld as a reward for being criminals. Look back to the Clinton area for abuses against FFLs and any kind of "fringe" commerce in firearms and gunsmithing. it had a very chilling effect, and it was all executive branch advisement. The tools for harassment are MUCH more robust these days with fun stuff like the no fly list, getting pulled asside for enhanced screenings, etc.

4) He can declare a state of emergency.

He just signed off on expansions to the ability to declare martial law. One of which is to commandeer manufacturing and distribution of scarce or critical items. The DOJ also jsut placed a massive contract for small arms ammo. If you decide the military ios going 100% lead free for small arms ammo, you can say whoops.. national security emergency... I'm comandeering ammo production, all facilities that CAN produce the ammo need to get busy making it and nothing else. All the facilities that can't need to stop production while we confiscate the raw materials to ensure production deadlines are met at the other facilities. How do you think that would affect availability and pricing?

Very bad things have been done to the executive branch in my lifetime, but much like the deficit spending since he's been in office, Obama's watch has been so very much worse. Will the above happen? probably not. But the groundwork has been done, and it CAN now. Either the incumbent will abuse the tools he made, or whoever is next will regardless of party. We just don't know to what ends. My personality says that at the very least we should not allow him to enjoy the fruits of his bad behavior even if there is no way to fix the problem at the root.

He can just replace 1 conservative Justice if they died. All your gun rights would be gone in a puff of smoke (the constitution burning)

Don't forget the lower courts and the changes that have been made already, SCOTUS is one thing that will probably not happen right away from the sounds of it unless something happened to one of the conservatives that are on it. however action is already happening in the lower courts that a lot of people don't see or pay attention to.

He can just replace 1 conservative Justice if they died. All your gun rights would be gone in a puff of smoke (the constitution burning)

This is one of my biggest fears with him being in office.. ugh

Yes, that is pretty scary. And any hope of having gun rights would be gone for at least 20+ years.

Luckily, Romney has pulled even in the polls, and even moved slightly ahead in some; and those are polls by Gallup and the mainstream media.