reloaderguy

Interesting discussion with my ffl about ammo!

I know there is another thread running about this but I didn't want it to get lost.

Was at the range with a ffl friend of mine who just got back from Vegas. He was told by a distributor friend of his that the allotment of ammo to the public is done for the year. No new orders are being taken!!!!!!!!!!!! What is on the shelves now is what is going to be sold and after that. Nothing! The military is buying up any and all as well as all surplus.

I'm not putting this out to create any kind of panic. This is what I have been told. You can believe it or not. Just do what you have to do now to keep a supply.

There may be a ammo factory that is filling gov't contracts that has chosen to focus on fulfilling those orders. Seems tin-foilish to think in terms of public and gov't allotment i.e. rationing.

Cabela's seems to have plenty of ammo.

Holy crap, the more this gets discussed, the more it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I wonder if everyone stocking up on ammo has been smart enough to stash away some food and water. And please don't be naive enough to tell me that if you have guns and ammo you can get food and water whenever you want.

So, is this supposed to mean that manufacturers are are going to produce ammo exclusively for government contracts?

Or are they just done for the year?

Doesn't seem to make sense from a business perspective

I also have trouble believing that the federal government has maxed out the production capability of EVERY ammo manufacturer in the country

I don't claim to be an expert on how to run a business, but I would think if people bought a product as fast, or faster than I could produce it, I would make more of that product..

So, is this supposed to mean that manufacturers are are going to produce ammo exclusively for government contracts?

Or are they just done for the year?

Doesn't seem to make sense from a business perspective

I also have trouble believing that the federal government has maxed out the production capability of EVERY ammo manufacturer in the country

I don't claim to be an expert on how to run a business, but I would think if people bought a product as fast, or faster than I could produce it, I would make more of that product..

Again this is all through hearsay but most gun manufacturers are already running three shifts, which essentially maxes out their capabilities. It also makes fiscal sense not to commit to expansion only to have demand drop out 6-8 months later. It WOULD however woulda been a good gamble to expand prior to this cycle's election fears and have a large quantity of your product in store to release to a shorted market.That would help payoff the expansion costs and perhaps make your name a dominant "in supply" name during times of ammo/firearm shortages.

@rubberbullets

With regard to firearms production, this makes alot of sense, but a "consumable" product like ammo, I don't see there being a big drop in sales, or a flooded market like you would see with guns.

Even though alot of the ammo craze is in anticipation of the upcoming election, what we have this time too, is a BIG portion of buyers from a "preppers" segment that wasn't as prevalent during the obama rush years ago

They have before with Obama based demand and BIG military contracts with relatively short delivery times. Last big shortage, you had fiocci and precision delta making components for major USA manufacturers to keep the machines running. Also winchester contracting to s&b to keep white box inventory available.

If you know the demand won't be there in 18 months, you just jack prices, you don't build more factory that will then sit idle.

I don't want to sound alarmist, but I don't trust this government and its agendas. Instead of going after the right to bear arms, it makes a lot of sense to go after the ammunition, instead, and to largely make a lot of paperweights. I would suggest acquiring a variety of guns in different calibers, just in case some of the more common calibers, such as military calibers, become controlled, overpriced, and/or unavailable. The self-fulfilling rumors could even have come from this government. There is much more brewing behind the scenes than most Americans are aware of.

I don't want to sound alarmist, but I don't trust this government and its agendas. Instead of going after the right to bear arms, it makes a lot of sense to go after the ammunition, instead, and to largely make a lot of paperweights. I would suggest acquiring a variety of guns in different calibers, just in case some of the more common calibers, such as military calibers, become controlled, overpriced, and/or unavailable. The self-fulfilling rumors could even have come from this government. There is much more brewing behind the scenes than most Americans are aware of.

You sound alarmist.

I think 1000-2000 rounds would be enough to get by for the average person in the event of a complete break down of society as we know it. Youl be using it to protect your family, not fight a war against our own military...Besides, they got planes and Tanks..Where you going with a few rifles..LOL

I don't want to sound alarmist, but I don't trust this government and its agendas. Instead of going after the right to bear arms, it makes a lot of sense to go after the ammunition,

DIND DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner! Thank you for understanding this. If you can't take away the guns then you do the next best thing! Ammo

If the government is buying it all up, I wonder if its your stimulus money hard at work? Or maybe its just the money they keep printing to cause hyper-inflation. I hope that its not going to Iran, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. The government is probably using the money stolen from Medicare which has been set aside to implement Obamacare. And, this can be justified because maybe they want to lower the cost of treating all those gun wounds... No bullets, no gun wounds, and besides, criminals don't know how to reload. Or more likely, they are pandering to one of their main lobbyists and want to keep the criminals alive so that those practicing the law have opportunities to generate more money through newer acts of criminalism. I heard the attorneys in states where concealed carry is allowed, well they are suffering and have scaled down to Chevy Volts. Maybe we are sending it to Mexico so that they can practice with their newly acquired firearms.

Maybe Trenton will have an ammo buyback program and up the cost of gun ownership to help supplement it!

So people that sell ammo are telling a lot of people that they need to buy as much as possible while they still can. Hmmm. Something...wouldn't that...oh, wait...had it a second ago...nah, never mind. That wouldn't make much sense. It's probably just all the government agencies preparing for the breakdown of society. Here comes the amero. Hal Turner was right! Gold! I have to buy gold!! As much as I can, because I'm sure it will somehow still be honored as currency after everything as we know it has collapsed.

My ammo guy didnt say I needed to buy it now. He said he had quite a few cases. Also said that supplies are limited but this summer he will be buying more. The ffl I use is a guy in his garage. Plus one of the largest ammo distibutors around is from my home town and always takes care of locals.

I've been hearing this nonsense that ammo is prices are going up because of shortages from FFL's for the last six months and have only seen a slight increase in prices in the last few weeks. This is pure paranoia, and I've got enough ammo to last me through this latest panic until prices come down again after the election. After all, what's Obama gonna do if he gets reelected? ban ammo? restrict it somehow through executive orders? Congress will attach a rider to the very next piece of legislation forbidding the ATF (or whatever agency he tries to use to make a backdoor ban) from enforcing any overreaching executive orders.

FYI - I have a case of .223 for sale for $2000 if anyone is interested :icon_lol: