Hey everyone , ive been looking now for a good optic for my Sig516 and the choices are rediculious , so many choices out there its hard to pick one , so far ive narrowed it down to a Trijicon Acog 3x30 scope With 223 Crosshair Recticle and a Eotech GS33.STS 3.25X Red Dot Sight with G33 Magnifier , both are around the same price and would be using it for 50/100 yrd range shooting and of course the just in case SHTF scenario lol . Just wondering what everyone else is using and their thoughts on these two sights , any help would be appreciated , thanks ...

As always with optics, it depends on what your trying to achieve. If you want the highest speed 0 to 50 Aimpoint is the way. If you can sacrifice a tiny bit of speed from 25 to 50 yds and a bigger speed penalty under 25 , the capabilities you pick up with the Acog out to 300 may be worth the trade off.

As always with optics, it depends on what your trying to achieve. If you want the highest speed 0 to 50 Aimpoint is the way. If you can sacrifice a tiny bit of speed from 25 to 50 yds and a bigger speed penalty under 25 , the capabilities you pick up with the Acog out to 300 may be worth the trade off.

This.

I have a TA31H and the speed penalty in close is easily offset by decent magnification for longer ranges and how I wanted it setup.

Oh... and I've noticed that the Horseshoe reticle in close can be pretty effective, since it looks like a big red dot if you're being quick about it and following the Bindon Aiming Concept.

This is just my personal opinion but from owning both a eotech holo and now ACOG, hands down the ACOG wins.

The eotech while it was sturdy, it solely served as close range usage for me. When I took it out to the range past 50 yds it was useless.

I decided to sell it and use some additional money towards a Trijicon ACOG and it was worth every penny. It will take you sometime to understand the science behind both eyes open operation. Once you do though it will be natural as soon as you pick it up. For me it's got the close range factor, and also just as useful when taken outdoors to the range.

I actually thought about selling it to help contribute to some wedding items, but when I picked it up after not using it for awhile I fell in love all over again.

50-100? aimpoint hands down.. no magnifier needed.. put dot in center of target.. and squeeze..
My range only has a maximum of 100 yrds , but i will be occasionally doing some longer distance !!

Definitely leaning towards Trijicon , i would rather spend alot now and regret little later in not getting the best for both applications ..

Your not going to be unhappy with the EOtech, but you WILL be happy with the trijicon. I'm glad your deciding on spending money on good glass instead of contemplating one of the many Asian knock-offs that are all the rage.

I have both an Eotech and and ACOG and like them both. The Eotech is a good, but the ACOG is great. The ACOG has extremely good glass and is more versatile for my use. You can reach out much further than 300 with the ACOG. I did just get a magnifier for the Eotech but have not used it yet.

If your gonna get a eotech I'd get one that uses lithium batteries. The ones that use aa had issues with battery life. But the good side to them is aa batteries are all over. I went with the eotech 516 because it takes 2 lithium batteries so I'm hoping it'll never go dead

I have an ACOG (TA01NSN) and 2 Aimpoints (Both T-1s). I shoot regularly out to 200 yards and 90% of the time I reach into the safe, it is to grab a rifle with an Aimpoint.

Spend $400 on an Aimpoint PRO. Then take the other $600 you save and spend it on ammo and training.

If the RDS is zerod properly (50/200 yard zero), you will make your shots out to 250 yards, sans magnifier, with boring regularity.

Inside 100 yards the ACOG doesn't even come close to the speed and accuracy of an RDS.

I also have an EoTurd. It is mounted on my S&W M&P 15-22, while I save for another Aimpoint. That's a clue.

Also, if you are concerned about batteries, keep in mind that the battery life on the PRO and T-1, if left on at brightness setting 8 of 12, is around 50,000 hours. The EoTurd is around 180 hours. Do the math.

High, being able to make hits isnt the only task at hand. Hell I can hit to 300 with irons! What I cant do is ID the target friend or foe at 200 or more. And if the sun is foward of the target or the target is shadowed or obscured, the distance I can hit with a red dot or irons is greatly reduced. In terms of speed, that may be true of the TA01 (an acog I absolutely do not care for) but not true of other models. My times on the clock between red dot and my TA33 25 yards and out are almost identical. But when those distances start to hit the 100 yard mark and out, the times with the ACOG take a large leap ahead.

Hey Shane, sorry I missed this. My forum settings were jacked and I wasn't getting notifications.

You are 100% correct, before you engage a target in the real world 2 things have to happen, you have to acquire a target, then identify it. The ACOG and other magnifying optics help tremendously with that.

That being said, the OP was talking about target shooting out to 100 yards (occasionally longer), so no real need for magnification for ID other than to make sure you aren't hitting your neighbors target, and SHTF, which may have an ID component prior to engagement. I say "may" because you are going to have a hard time justifying shooting someone at distances where you need 3-4x magnification to realize it is a threat, as self defense. Not saying it is an impossible situation, but merely improbable. Now, getting into a close engagement while trying to di-di the area of unrest during the SHTF is much more likely to happen, IMO.

A RDO and a pair of good binoculars would be a better investment and a more versatile equipment choice for SHTF, again, in my opinion. That being said, I have an ACOG, a RDO, and binoculars and yes I am bringing all of them if it ever comes to that.

I have an ACOG (TA01NSN) and 2 Aimpoints (Both T-1s). I shoot regularly out to 200 yards and 90% of the time I reach into the safe, it is to grab a rifle with an Aimpoint.

Spend $400 on an Aimpoint PRO. Then take the other $600 you save and spend it on ammo and training.

If the RDS is zerod properly (50/200 yard zero), you will make your shots out to 250 yards, sans magnifier, with boring regularity.

Inside 100 yards the ACOG doesn't even come close to the speed and accuracy of an RDS.

I also have an EoTurd. It is mounted on my S&W M&P 15-22, while I save for another Aimpoint. That's a clue.

Also, if you are concerned about batteries, keep in mind that the battery life on the PRO and T-1, if left on at brightness setting 8 of 12, is around 50,000 hours. The EoTurd is around 180 hours. Do the math.

out of curiosity why don't you like Eotechs?

I don't want to start an EoTech vs Aimpoint flame war or a "this better than that" thread. So, please keep in mind that my opinion is based on my needs, the role I use my weapons, and my personal experiences with the equipment. It is not universal truth.

I have found that the EoTech is heavier than the Aimpoint T-1, has a larger footprint on the rail, and the mount is mediocre. It has atrocious battery life when compared to the Aimpoint. I also don't like the Eo's 4 or 8 hour auto-off feature that is necessitated by the short battery life. I do like the 50,000 hours constant on battery life of the Aimpoint T-1 much better. I literally never turn my optics off.

I am not a fan of the bad design of the battery compartment in both the battery parallel and the battery perpendicular to the barrel models that make it prone to failure for multiple reasons. They have also had terrible CS since L3 took over. My rarely shot EoTech has been in 3 times for service. I don't know what Aimpoint's CS is like from personal interaction, but I havenot heard any complaints. I also don't like the rear location or the design of the Eo's controls.

The EoTech does have a larger field of view, but that is moot if you shoot with both eyes open.

And, personally the other big touted plus, the 1moa dot of the EoTech vs Aimpoint 4 (or now 2) moa dot is balderdash when you consider the inherent accuracy of most rifles (4 moa for a rack grade mil spec M4), added to the inherent accuracy of most ammo (8-10moa for most 55-64gr FMJ) fed to those rifles, AND the inherent accuracy of most shooters is way more than 1 moa.

I recently took a 3 day VTAC class. 20 shooters, all experienced and well trained. There were 18 EoTechs, 1 iron sighted rifle and me with a T-1. 6 of the EoTechs went down hard. 3 others were going through batteries at the cyclic rate, and 1 had mount issues. My T-1 in a LaRue mount kept on keeping on. No issues. As it has for the last 4 years, with it's 1 battery, multiple multi-day classes and 8k rounds.

- edited for clarity

I was hoping to avoid a flame war as well, i thought to myself, god what did i just start. But your response is very civil and to the point. I've been toying with the idea of getting a T-1 but i really don't have any qualms with my xps2, its been rock solid. I Stayed far away from the older models which i think left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

I was hoping to avoid a flame war as well, i thought to myself, god what did i just start. But your response is very civil and to the point. I've been toying with the idea of getting a T-1 but i really don't have any qualms with my xps2, its been rock solid. I Stayed far away from the older models which i think left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Thumbs up all around!

If you dig the Eo run it.

Just check the battery compartment often. CR123 batteres were designed to have shock absorption along their longitudinal axis, not perpindicular like the battery box in the Xps models. They solved the old batterers box problem of the contacts breaking under recoil and created a new one where the batteries break under recoil. The more you shoot, the higher chance you have of rupturing the battery in the optic.

Remember, the batteries are the ammo for your optic. Use quality 123's only. Surefire, Streamlight and the like. No Chinese or Paki crap.

Get the T-1. You won't regret it :)

Shoot straight bro!

I personally run an ACOG with their heads up micro red dot on the tail for close in engagement. I've had good success out to 50yrds with that micro dot then switching to the full ACOG optic. The strange thing with this approach is the change in cheek weld between the two since the eye plain is different. If you're comfy doing it, i like this option as a best of breed combined into one optic.