Mr.G

Transporting Pistol Lower Receiver or Frame

Does pistol transport law apply to frames as well? No slide assembly, ammo, magazine - just frame and trigger assembly.

I asked a similar question not too long ago about mailing or transporting just the frame and trigger housing on a Sig p250 and the consensus was that if the firearm's serial number was stamped on the frame, trigger assembly, ect it was indeed considered a "whole' gun and therefore has to be transported as such.

I asked a similar question not too long ago about mailing or transporting just the frame and trigger housing on a Sig p250 and the consensus was that if the firearm's serial number was stamped on the frame, trigger assembly, ect it was indeed considered a "whole' gun and therefore has to be transported as such.

I take the cautious approach and treat the serialized part as a full gun.

I take the cautious approach and treat the serialized part as a full gun.

...As do I,it makes sense especially in NJ...

What about pistols like the px4 ? The serial is on the barrel the frame and the slide..... I'm with j0n too much gray area.. My ruger mk iii has the serial on the barrel..

That is for Europe (and maybe the rest of the world, not sure), who considers the slide and barrel the gun. In Europe, the slide and barrel are stamped with a serial number. If the gun is to be sold here, then the frame gets stamped too. That is why CZs, Glocks, etc all have matching serial numbers on frame, slide and barrel.

Thanks for confirming. This is in case of transporting other than range or gunsmith. (buddy, work done (not gs), etc..)

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no exemptions for transporting handguns to your buddy's place and you are risking your @$$ if you do so. If you want to have a friend work on your gun, the only legal ways would be to have him do the work at your house, or meet him at one of the exempted places (gun shop, range, your place of business).

Does pistol transport law apply to frames as well? No slide assembly, ammo, magazine - just frame and trigger assembly.

Chapter 2C-39-f according to this definition of "firearm" if it cant fire a projectile, not a firearm at least in NJ. How the Feds deal with it traveling out of state or via shipping/mail IDK. Of course you can argue this is NJ.. overzelous prosecuters, biased judges and being the guinna pig to challenge but thats what is written.

That is for Europe (and maybe the rest of the world, not sure), who considers the slide and barrel the gun. In Europe, the slide and barrel are stamped with a serial number. If the gun is to be sold here, then the frame gets stamped too. That is why CZs, Glocks, etc all have matching serial numbers on frame, slide and barrel.

Yeah, we went over that in another thread, but i was just throwing a curve ball into the discussion over the serialized part being the firearm... Where many pistols are serialized in multi-locations, , My ruger is serialized on the barrel not the frame.... So by those standards if i took my PX4 apart would i be left with 3 firearms lol? and is my rugers barrel the firearm?

Chapter 2C-39-f according to this definition of "firearm" if it cant fire a projectile, not a firearm at least in NJ. How the Feds deal with it traveling out of state or via shipping/mail IDK. Of course you can argue this is NJ.. overzelous prosecuters, biased judges and being the guinna pig to challenge but thats what is written.

ATF defines a firearm as the serialized part. A stripped lower receiver is incapable of firing a projectile, but I still have to fill out a COE and pass a NICS check to buy one. For the OP to transport a handgun frame, he has to follow the exemptions for handgun transportation, period. All other parts would be OK, but the frame is a no-go.

The sense of paranoia and half baked lawyer-ship on this forum astounds me.

f. "Firearm" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.

I think taking a stripped lower and LPK over to a friend's house to assemble it and driving it back home is legal as long as you don't have the parts to assemble a workable firearm in your possession. Same with taking a handgun frame to a friend's house to work on the trigger. Leave the slide at home.

I think taking a stripped lower and LPK over to a friend's house to assemble it and driving it back home is legal as long as you don't have the parts to assemble a workable firearm in your possession. Same with taking a handgun frame to a friend's house to work on the trigger. Leave the slide at home.

By stripped lower and LPK you mean AR-15, then yes, that's legal as long as you are in possession of an FPID. But a pistol frame is a handgun by ATF definition and would be considered the same by any NJ authority as well. If it isn't, then I should be able to buy a stripped handgun frame without a P2P.

By stripped lower and LPK you mean AR-15, then yes, that's legal as long as you are in possession of an FPID. But a pistol frame is a handgun by ATF definition and would be considered the same by any NJ authority as well. If it isn't, then I should be able to buy a stripped handgun frame without a P2P.

You said the ATF defines it has the serialized part, Now the frame? which one?

Yeah, we went over that in another thread, but i was just throwing a curve ball into the discussion over the serialized part being the firearm... Where many pistols are serialized in multi-locations, , My ruger is serialized on the barrel not the frame.... So by those standards if i took my PX4 apart would i be left with 3 firearms lol? and is my rugers barrel the firearm?

Jack, what kind of Ruger is this with the sn on the barrel you have?

Ruger Mark series 22 pistols are this way. The barrel is the serialized part, aka "the gun". On a Sig P250 or Beretta Nano, the sub chassis is the serialized part, meaning you can buy frames, barrels and slides and they are not considered "the gun". The statement about the frame being "the gun" was general, and you can see that there are exceptions.

Ruger MkIII target, that's why i brought it up, trying to get the most clarity possible here... if i didn't own the Ruger i wouldn't have even thought about it. I dunno why they put it there... kinda a PITA to do exactly the opposite as every other manufacturer.

Ruger MkIII target, that's why i brought it up, trying to get the most clarity possible here... if i didn't own the Ruger i wouldn't have even thought about it. I dunno why they put it there... kinda a PITA to do exactly the opposite as every other manufacturer.

Don't forget to throw in the obnoxious disassembly/reassembly procedure. Don't miss my Mark III. Very happy with my Buck Mark.

Ruger Mark series 22 pistols are this way. The barrel is the serialized part, aka "the gun". On a Sig P250 or Beretta Nano, the sub chassis is the serialized part, meaning you can buy frames, barrels and slides and they are not considered "the gun". The statement about the frame being "the gun" was general, and you can see that there are exceptions.

I don't have a Ruger 22 now but from looking at some photos what you guys are calling the barrel is actually the receiver or frame. The serial number appears on that round part with the ejection port, that the bolt rides in, and the barrel is screwed into is the receiver for the Ruger 22. There is no rifling in that part. Its the same as on bolt action or even SA rifles. I guess it works out that way because the Ruger 22 pistol is based on a rifle design IIRC. You got me thinkiing as Federal law is very clear that the serial number has to appear on the receiver or frame.

I imagine the Feds at one point had to designate or approve what a manufacturer said is the receiver.

You said the ATF defines it has the serialized part, Now the frame? which one?

Most handgun frames are the serialized part. Very few handguns have the serialized part as something other than the frame. Some .22 pistols and guns like the Sig p250 with interchangeable grip frames are the exceptions.

If that were true you could theoretically walk around with a loaded bolt action action if the bolt was elsewhere

The sense of paranoia and half baked lawyer-ship on this forum astounds me.

+1

Add another +1

So you guys disagree that the handgun transport laws apply to a stripped handgun frame (with a serial number, i.e. Glock, 1911, etc)?

Another example of now NJ laws contradict themselves.

To purchase a receiver or "serialized part" of a gun, NJ law demands that it be treated as the firearm. FPID is required, and pistol frames/serialized part need PPP and NICS, long gun COE and NICS. Yet, the NJ legal definition of what a "firearm" is defined as, does not match up with receiver/frame/serialized parts of guns when they are alone. The logic is broken.

I'm not including federal laws here as that is not what is in question. I cannot find any NJ law that adds in "whatever Federal law thinks is a firearm, we follow that also".