Jeremy, thanks for helping the wifey after she hit herself, all is well!

Trying to figure-out what exactly happened.............

Edited in case on antis...................

you're welcome Mike -- Cheryl did all the work, I just held the flashlight and confirmed she got it all. I didn't want her to need an extra hand and have to come looking for help.

The more I think of it we should have saved the piece. I'm pretty sure it was lead but it certainly could have been some brass or copper with the lead. Like a piece of copper jacket.

Fire out of battery maybe but I don't think it was a slam fire while loading another round. I was right next to her on the left, she fired a round, then was hit with shrapnel, there was not a second discharge. I do agree she was hit too fast for it to be her own fragments coming back at her.

I'm not so sure it wasn't from another pit. That piece wasn't very deep -- it didn't take much to remove it. Just a brushing with her finger and it was out.

I guess we'll never know.

Jer

Jeremy, thanks for helping the wifey after she got hit by splatter ricocheting back, all is well!

Trying to figure-out what exactly happened.............

Edited in case on antis...................

It happens, makes you really understand why we alway keep our eyes on.. Glad she's ok, she just joined the club that every person who shoots steel matches will belong to sooner or later.

Dave, we are trying to determine if the gun malfunctioned somehow. We all heard the round hit the steel, but before the round hit SHE was hit and had some lead stuck in her cheek not too far from her eye. It appeared to come out of the gun, it did not come off the targets. This is a S&W 22A we picked-up recently. Don't know if it possibly fired before the bolt was fully closed. Happened so fast we weren't sure. Nick tried to remove it, but it was stuck in there pretty good. So no, she wasn't actually shot, but at least she did it to herself and can't blame me, and the cookies will still roll-on!

Mike, you sure it wasn't from one of the other pits?? When I use my chair with the sun-cover you can't believe the amount of scrap that's on top of it just after a few minutes. Heck I have had stuff land on me as we are not even shooting on our stage. Just something to think about and may be not gun related, but just a weird coincidence.

No one was in the pit to the right (50 yarder, just parking there).

Most of us have been hit by fragments during these events. Gotta watch as you eat that a piece didn't land in your sandwich, lead isn't good to ingest!

We both feel it was the gun, but you never know. If the piece had bounced off Nicks head and then hit her, I could see it coming from the pits to our left.

She isn't worried, the damn incident made her shoot faster and more accurately, just what I didn't need!

She isn't worried, the damn incident made her shoot faster and more accurately, just what I didn't need!

Tell me about it.

I just got the ppc scores from may and she beat me by 28 points taking first place. :beee:

No one was in the pit to the right (50 yarder, just parking there). Most of us have been hit by fragments during these events. Gotta watch as you eat that a piece didn't land in your sandwich, lead isn't good to ingest! We both feel it was the gun, but you never know. If the piece had bounced off Nicks head and then hit her, I could see it coming from the pits to our left. She isn't worried, the damn incident made her shoot faster and more accurately, just what I didn't need!
Ok, got ya..

Yea, and lead isn't good fo ya can make you do things like this...LOL

Mike, you sure it wasn't from one of the other pits?? When I use my chair with the sun-cover you can't believe the amount of scrap that's on top of it just after a few minutes. Heck I have had stuff land on me as we are not even shooting on our stage. Just something to think about and may be not gun related, but just a weird coincidence.

You can be pretty sure due to physics. Anything from another pit has to come up over a berm in a big arc. Which means it is mostly gravity powered on the way down, or it's traveling more than a pit or two. A big slow .45 slug bouncing off mostly in one piece can bonk you on the head so you notice, and they can be hot.

Splatter comes back pretty fast. The random piece of jacket seems slow because it is light, has only a small fraction of the energy of the original bullet, and has a bunch of surface area. A big chunk of bullet, and it keeps a LOT more of the initial energy due to more mass, and a much higher ballistic coefficient.

When we were on the back stages, I definitely had some bits of splattered jacket raining down from the other side of the berm behind us. That said, I think Cheryl's gun malfunctioned just due to where we were and how it corresponded with her shooting. I'm glad she was okay. She handled it like a champ...probably way better than I would have.

My biggest problem that I had in the match from a shooting standpoint is that I have some previously sustained hearing loss in my left ear. (playing in bands for years) At times it is difficult for me to separate multiple simultaneous auditory sources. So, since I was shooting .22, the reactive ping on the steel wasn't loud enough for me to know that I missed or hit...especially on the subsequent runs because the plates already had hits on them. Guys in the adjacent stages were hitting their steel and I was thinking it was mine ( I know...silly)

It got to the point that at a later stage, I couldn't remember if I had had a hit on a plate and just went back and picked it up at the end just in case. Cheryl and Nick had a good laugh at me for that!

Rookie.

My biggest problem that I had in the match from a shooting standpoint is that I have some previously sustained hearing loss in my left ear. (playing in bands for years) At times it is difficult for me to separate multiple simultaneous auditory sources. So, since I was shooting .22, the reactive ping on the steel wasn't loud enough for me to know that I missed or hit...especially on the subsequent runs because the plates already had hits on them. Guys in the adjacent stages were hitting their steel and I was thinking it was mine ( I know...silly)

Have you tried electronic muffs? Some sounds (like the pings) are amplified might help you hear better?

Have you tried electronic muffs? Some sounds (like the pings) are amplified might help you hear better?

I've got a pair. That's what I was wearing. I'm hesitant to turn them up too high just because of my past hearing loss. But, maybe I will give that a try. Plus, I was nervous. First time shooting a match. everyone watching, etc....blahblahblah.

Yeah, we were watching you. For a first-timer you shot very, very well!

Forget about the hearing problem. Just start shooting .40 or .45 (like Jermey) and you will have NO problem hearing or seeing where you hit! :)

Yeah, we were watching you. For a first-timer you shot very, very well!

Forget about the hearing problem. Just start shooting .40 or .45 (like Jermey) and you will have NO problem hearing or seeing where you hit! :)

Thanks much!

I'll need a second job to pay for all that ammo what with me shooting plates three and four times because my hearing and memory sucks...lol

Maybe next time, I'll break out my 9mm. But, I definitely don't shoot as well with that! Love my Ruger mkiii Target.

WOW i am supprised not that they are the same stages at both but I did better in both rim and pistol. 51 seconds better in iron pistol and 43 seconds better in rim. Plus i got rimfire below 100 seconds and pistol below 200 seconds. Ok im hooked but i need to start reloading cause these full power .45 loads are killing me on iron pistol. 230 gr at 850 would be a power factor of 195 in uspsa. Cant shoot cj steel this month but hope to make old bridge and not sure about either uspsa not to mention just the cost of that .45 ammo

WOW i am supprised not that they are the same stages at both but I did better in both rim and pistol. 51 seconds better in iron pistol and 43 seconds better in rim. Plus i got rimfire below 100 seconds and pistol below 200 seconds. Ok im hooked but i need to start reloading cause these full power .45 loads are killing me on iron pistol. 230 gr at 850 would be a power factor of 195 in uspsa. Cant shoot cj steel this month but hope to make old bridge and not sure about either uspsa not to mention just the cost of that .45 ammo

The stages wouldnt be the same, the only consistent stages are the " official " world class steel stages ( first Sunday of the month at oldbridge and major matches )

Sunday steel at old bridge on the 17th has stages that vary each month from the imagination of the match director, some months are easy , others insane.

Glad your addicted though!

45ACP probably not your best choice for steel, while I have shot .40 S&W, I am working my CZ 85 Combat 9mm as my main steel gun. 40 gets too expensive let alone 45ACP. That and you only need to make 125PF for steel, no need for higher than that and USPSA is not 195PF for Major, it's 165PF. For the cost difference over a year between shooting 45 vs 9 you probably would be better off if you didn't have one already to get a 9mm handgun..

If two people hadn't DQ'd I'd be in last! HA!

Too much rushing. Too many misses. Slow it down and aim. grrr. must...shoot...next...match.

Actually, you beat out 7 people. The time you shot (138) would have put you in 21st place. They put you in the rimfire division accidentally instead of the Pistol Iron.