RubberBullets

Police raid Raritan twp man's home for suspected arsenal and intent to sell

http://www.news12.co...&news_type=news

(06/15/12) RARITAN TOWNSHIP - A Raritan Township man has been arrested for allegedly stockpiling a small arsenal at his home.

Police and SWAT teams descended on 37-year-old James Donovan's Haddenford Drive home and found guns, ammunition, homemade explosives and other weapons.

Prosecutors say Donovan was planning to sell the weapons.

EDIT:

http://www.nj.com/hu...er_arreste.html

RARITAN TWP. — A Raritan Township man who allegedly was stockpiling and selling assault weapons, ammunition and explosives at his residence was arrested at his home just outside Flemington earlier today.

James Patrick Donovan, 37, was “arrested without incident as he left his residence by members of the Hunterdon County and Somerset County SWAT teams,” said Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony P. Kearns, III.

“The arrest resulted from an investigation into the trafficking of assault weapons.” Kearns said.

The New Jersey State Police Bomb Squad, as of about 1:45 p.m. today, Friday, June 15, was clearing the residence, the prosecutor said, and the Prosecutor’s Office Crime Scene Unit is standing by waiting to process the scene.

Assisting with the arrest was the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office, Raritan Township Police Department, the New Jersey State Police Bomb Squad and the New Jersey State Police K-9 Unit.

Leading the investigation was the Hunterdon County Prosecutor’s Office Gangs, Guns & Narcotics Task Force.

“We did not want to take any chances with this suspect,” Kearns said. “We waited for the appropriate time and place to take him into custody. I commend the professionalism and teamwork of all the agencies involved in arresting this dangerous individual in a safe manner. As always, the safety of the community was our utmost concern.”

Kearns also said the investigation is ongoing and that further details will be provided later.

The Raritan Township Fire Department, Flemington/Raritan Rescue Squad and HMC Paramedics assisted.

I added nj.com as well. Short version: Man was a subject of an investigation regarding suspected weapons trafficking. Arrested him away from his home, and raided the residence to search for the weapons in question. No word on the amount or type of weapons confiscated as of yet. They better have their stuff straight, because it would be sad and all too common for them to come up with a collection a fraction of the size of a "regular" gun collector and his intent was for leisure and not trafficking.

On a side note: im astonished at the number of Pro 2A comments coming from news12's facebook comment section.

I wish the SWAT teams would spend more money on training than on new uniforms and patches every year or so. They just have to be dressed up like the military don't they.

g8kMU.jpg

That is a Multicam- ACS shirt for wearing under your armor that set the dept back about $80 each

http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/0R0A/product-id/36987014.html

9olRB.jpg

If it weren't for the truck I would have thought it was a bunch of Airsofter's

Damn, I guess if you have more than a few firearms we might be next??? I wanna know more of what happened, it says just suspected of trafficking, "SUSPECTED" ain't good enough for me

You are "suspected" until found guilty in court. "Suspeced" is the proper term at this point. Once he's arraigned it would be charged.

A standard of probable cause was met to get the search warrant and to make the arrest. I'm reserving judgement on this until there is more info on this. Too many people on gun forums don't do our cause any good by always jumping to the defense of anyone arrested for firearms violations. We'll see if he's just an avid collector who someone didn't like, guilty of possessing a deadly Marlin model 60 with a 18 rd tube magazine or supplying Al Qaeda with FA weapons and RPGs or something in between.

Phew! If it wasn't for those incredibly savvy uniforms, it could have turned out badly when it turns out the house they were raiding was an overgrown forest! Better not take the chance or forget your boonie cap.

I'm sure the explosives didn't help his case either.

Its not the stockpiling. Its the assault weapons and sales. Im sure this wasnt a home based ffl selling to legit people

With all of these agencies involved, this thing took a while to put together. There's more to this story than they're telling, like how they found him (selling?). Kudos to the Cops for doing it without firing a shot. That's good Police work!

This "Loser" isn't one of us. He's a Drug Dealer with a record, a Probation violator, a Prohibited Person and probably up to no good.

All of the Peanut-Gallery comments about SWAT Uniforms are un-needed and juvenile at best, and further display this board's "Us vs. Them" mentality rearing it's ugly head. Let's give it a rest (to those who participate in that sort of thing) and just watch as this ongoing case continues to unfold in the papers.......

With all of these agencies involved, this thing took a while to put together. There's more to this story than they're telling, like how they found him (selling?). Kudos to the Cops for doing it without firing a shot. That's good Police work!

This "Loser" isn't one of us. He's a Drug Dealer with a record, a Probation violator, a Prohibited Person and probably up to no good.

All of the Peanut-Gallery comments about SWAT Uniforms are un-needed and juvenile at best, and further display this board's "Us vs. Them" mentality rearing it's ugly head. Let's give it a rest (to those who participate in that sort of thing) and just watch as this ongoing case continues to unfold in the papers.......

Well said. Definitely more to the story. Glad that even when the police do the right thing the anti leo peanut gallery still has senseless comments. Sickens me

multi-cam for swat? uhhh that makes sense.

Plus the desert boots. I guess they like to play army dress up...

I don't know about this team, but the swat team in my county is mostly (maybe entirely?) made of veterans with some pretty heavy experience. The two snipers I met both had multiple tours in the desert doing heavy lifting. So, I agree the camo doesn't really hide them here (the guys I've seen are usually in all black), but I don't think they are "playing army dress up" - it's what they've worn for work their adult lives.

I think the people of this state are just getting tired of having taxes that are sky high, but yet have almost nothing to show for it. I agree 100% on how the swat wants to dress up like they are a para-military force. How their budgets are the highest they have been EVER, just so they can get the cool kid toys. Nope, I see it and it outrages me. There is a growing "us VS them" mentality and it is not just on this board, it is across the country. The American people as a whole are tightening their belts but see everywhere else the govt is just spending money like a stoned teenager in hot topic in the mall.

It is not Us vs Them... I think the SWAT does a great job. Its just silly that they are wearing Multi-cam, desert boots and bonnie hats. Practically, It's probably the worst camouflage for urban environment. It is also the current uniform used in Afghanistan and should be avoided for that reason. The police have distinctive uniforms and the military have distinctive uniforms, There is simply no reason to mix the two other than being tacticool.

Has nothing to do with anti-LEO.

I don't know about this team, but the swat team in my county is mostly (maybe entirely?) made of veterans with some pretty heavy experience. The two snipers I met both had multiple tours in the desert doing heavy lifting. So, I agree the camo doesn't really hide them here (the guys I've seen are usually in all black), but I don't think they are "playing army dress up" - it's what they've worn for work their adult lives.

Do they wear multicam to LE work?

I can tell you that I personally wouldn't want to wear my ACU's to anything but Army work. Also I wouldn't want to wear them in any form other than the proper standards.

I have lots of respect for SWAT teams from training with them. And as mentioned, many are previous operators with experience in the sand box. From a practical point, IF I had to pick one pattern for all around practical applications, it would be MC. Black is frigging hot in the sun and doesn't hide all that well even in low light. I've worn a dark navy blue uniform in Panama and can tell you that your black boots feel like they are on fire. So, as far as the uniform of the day, I have no problems with the color pattern. I would opt for a tan helmet because your head is going to cook in that in the sun.

Also, SWAT is up close and personal far from being a true to form sniper. IIRC, almost all SWAT sniper shots are under 100 yards. And if SWAT is on site, there really isn't an element of surprise.

My BEEF is that too many towns feels the need to have SWAT Teams, Armored PC's and Special Operation Groups. That is what the county and state is supposed to provide. Not the case here as they county and state were brought in. But to many small towns feel the need to spend sick money of being all geared up, like Wayne and Hoboken. Newark, Camden and Jersey City, ought to have special teams. But the smaller towns would be better off, sealing off the area, placing a couple of sharp shooters and wait for the pro's to come in.