Tosser

And now... attempting to ban online ammo sales...

And so it begins....

http://njtoday.net/2012/07/30/lautenberg-to-sponsor-bill-restricting-online-ammunition-sales/

Lautenberg To Sponsor Bill Restricting Online Ammunition Sales

July 30, 2012

[/url]

NEW YORK, N.Y.– U.S. Senator Frank R. Lautenberg (D-NJ), Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY4) and advocates from the gun safety community announced new legislation being introduced this week that would restrict the sale of ammunition over the internet.

The bill, called the Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act, aims to keep Americans safe by limiting the ability to anonymously purchase unlimited quantities of ammunition through the internet or other mail-order means. It would also require that ammunition dealers report bulk sales of ammunition to law enforcement.

The man accused of killing 12 and injuring 58 in an Aurora, Colorado movie theater this month had purchased over 6,000 rounds of ammunition on the internet shortly before the shooting spree, according to law enforcement officials.

“If someone wants to purchase deadly ammunition, they should have to come face-to-face with the seller,” said Lautenberg. “It’s one thing to buy a pair of shoes online, but it should take more than a click of the mouse to amass thousands of rounds of ammunition. This legislation is a simple common-sense step that would put safeguards in place to detect suspicious activity, helping to prevent the sale of ammunition to a terrorist or the next would-be mass murderer.”

“The Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act pulls ammunition sales out of the shadows and into the light, where criminals can’t hide and responsible dealers can act as a line of defense against the planning and stockpiling of a potential mass killer,” McCarthy said. “Law-abiding gun owners and shooters should support this legislation because it hinders criminals from abusing the Second Amendment right that our nation promises and could save innocent lives in the process.”

New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg also today repeated his call for the nation’s presidential candidates to discuss gun safety measures.

“If Washington doesn’t act, 48,000 Americans will be murdered with guns during the next president’s term,” said Bloomberg. “We should be having a great debate among two accomplished leaders and the people they’re asking to hire them. But we’re not getting leadership; we’re just getting condolences. If the presidential candidates won’t act, others will – including Senator Lautenberg and Congresswoman McCarthy, who time and again have shown their steadfast commitment to protecting American lives.”

The Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act works through four components:

The Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act undoes the effects of a law advanced by the NRA in the 1980s, as explained by the Violence Policy Center’s Kristen Rand: “Online ammunition sales are the direct result of the NRA’s flagship bill of the 1980s, the McClure-Volkmer ‘Firearms Owners’ Protection Act.’ Prior to McClure-Volkmer, interstate ammunition sales by common carrier to private individuals were banned, records were maintained of ammunition sales, and ammunition sellers had to be licensed. In today’s internet age the effect of this change can now be measured in untold rounds of ammunition sold to the wrong buyers and all too many lives ended. We applaud the leadership of Senator Lautenberg and Representative McCarthy in working to reinstate this life-saving component of federal law.”

Dan Gross, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said: “We as a nation know we are better than this. We are better than the massacres at Aurora, Co., Virginia Tech, Tucson, and the Long Island Railroad. We are better than 32 gun murders every day. In the past week, we have been inspired to see Americans come together on WeAreBetterThanThis.org to begin a real conversation about what we can do to prevent the tragedy of gun violence in our nation – a conversation that includes Democrats and Republicans, those who own guns and those who don’t; a conversation fundamentally respectful of the Second Amendment. The American people are demanding that our elected officials and presidential candidates join that conversation by proposing real solutions and plans to make us the better, safer nation that we all know we can be. Today we applaud Sen. Lautenberg and Rep. McCarthy for doing just that — for showing true leadership in this vitally important conversation — and for proposing this measure that will save lives.”

Robyn Thomas, Executive Director of the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, said: “As the tragedy in Aurora shows, our weak laws enable dangerous people to anonymously purchase unlimited quantities of ammunition online and in stores. We strongly support Rep. McCarthy and Sen. Lautenberg’s legislation, which will bring desperately needed oversight to this largely unregulated area. This legislation will provide law enforcement with critical tools to help keep our communities safe from gun violence.”

New Yorkers Against Gun Violence Executive Director Jackie Hilly said: “The nation was shocked when 70 people were shot in Colorado and we must do what we can to help prevent these numbers of casualties in the future. Senator Lautenberg and Congresswoman McCarthy’s legislation is similar to provisions already in place in some places, like New York City, and Congress should consider it seriously.”

Nicola Bocour, Project Director of Ceasefire NJ, said: “Ceasefire NJ is honored to stand with Senator Lautenberg and Congresswoman McCarthy in support of the ‘Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act.’ The proposed legislation will help to prevent shootings such as the tragedy in Aurora and save lives by regulating online ammunition sales so that an individual will no longer be able to accumulate an arsenal of ammunition in such a short period of time without detection. Congress must take action against these heinous acts of gun violence and pass the ‘Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act’; the reality is if we don’t demand real and meaningful change about guns and ammunition it is easy to predict more such tragedies.”

Carole Stiller, President of the NJ Million Mom March, said: “Today a bill is being announced to stop online ammunition sales. This bill will in no way interfere with the Supreme Court’s interpretation that the Second Amendment allows people the right to own guns to protect themselves in their homes. So there should be NO opposition from the gun lobby… nor from the Congressmembers whom it routinely influences.”

In addition to the Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act, Lautenberg and McCarthy are also sponsors of legislation to strengthen the nation’s instant background check system and to ban high-capacity ammunition magazines such as the ones used in Aurora, Tucson, Virginia Tech, Columbine, the Long Island Railroad in 1993, last year’s killing spree in Norway and numerous other mass shootings in recent history.

Law enforcement officials and advocates agree that the high capacity of the magazines used in these shootings are what enable the high number of casualties in these incidents. In many of these cases, the shooting stopped or slowed down when the assailant ran out of bullets or experienced equipment failure.

Read more: http://njtoday.net/2012/07/30/lautenberg-to-sponsor-bill-restricting-online-ammunition-sales/#ixzz228320bCT

Tell everyone to get New Jersey News from WWW.NJTODAY.NET

Yes, because Norway automatically mirrors any firearms restriction that is implemented in the US....

Norway leads Scandinavia in firearms and ammo restrictions,Restrictions that would make NJ's seem like Arizona yet, and I have posted this before,the Oslo massacre still occurred.

We can legislate ourselves out of existence, which appears exactly what we're intent on doing,but insanity will continue.

It makes perfect sense to the kind of people who don't understand what you need a gun for anyway.

I'd personally like to see someone attach a provision to this bill that bans cars that can go over 65 MPH. The speed limit is 65 in most states. What do you need a car that can go 100 MPH for anyway? That is for professional race car drivers, not the average citizen... get my drift?

I fail to see any logic in this restriction whatsoever. So, you don't want people to buy 6000 rounds of ammo, but they can amass it over a month and a half?

Moreover, how many rounds does someone like Holmes need to do something like he did, a few hundred perhaps? We've all seen the reports that he had 6000 rounds of ammo, but I'm sure he didn't use all of it. If someone bought 1000 rounds, they would be able to wreak havoc,so it's clear that the intent of this bill is just to futher harass responsible gun owners like us.

It's not like someone can just walk into a sporting goods store and buy bulk ammo... oh, wait...

What happens after a bulk purchase is reported to authorities? Do they search your house for the ammo you bought legally?

How does someone so stupid and inept live such a long life?

McCarthy said. “Law-abiding gun owners and shooters should support this legislation because it hinders criminals from abusing the Second Amendment right that our nation promises and could save innocent lives in the process.”

The only criminals abusing the 2nd Amendment are in congress

and in the pic of the Colorado... the AR had a 30Rd magazine in it!

It's true. However, this doesn't mean that his initial mag wasn't the drum. He may have had a jam with the drum and tried to seat the 30 mag, but was unable to clear the malfunction so just dropped it.

The only law that exists anywhere that supposedly would have mitigated this tragedy was the mag capacity.

However, I would posit that if Holmes were carrying 10x 10rd mags instead of 1 drum mag...even though more bulky, he probably would NOT have had a spree ending malfunction because the lower cap mag would be less likely to FTF. He'd just change the mag out and carry on.

As someone who used to be a staunch supporter of these measures, I can no longer endorse them or the candidates that put them forward. They don't make any logical sense. the 1994 AWB would have done NOTHING to stop James Holmes from killing these people...>ZERO. The AWB and mag capacity laws here in NJ have done NOTHING to mitigate violent crime.

What is that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

It requires licensed ammunition dealers to report the sale of more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition to an unlicensed person within any five consecutive business days.

Great so, if you wanted some bulk .22LR, you couldn't even buy two boxes of Federal 525 packs, because that would make you a baby killing terrorist. Honestly, f*ck Lautenberg.

I KNEW this was coming down the Pike, I just KNEW it!

Now I wonder how many of us are up to the fight, and how many of us are too fricken cheap to be counted as a member of something?? NRA, GOA or some other nationally-recognized Gun Owners group.

Pretty soon the El-Cheapo's are going to wish to be counted, so they'll have to join sumthin' sooner or later! Let's hope it's SOONER!

So WHAT are YOU? Part of the problem (un-counted hiding in the corner like a little boy in a wet diaper), OR part of the solution (stand yer ground and be counted)?

Dave

NRA Life Member

As someone who used to be a staunch supporter of these measures, I can no longer endorse them or the candidates that put them forward. They don't make any logical sense. the 1994 AWB would have done NOTHING to stop James Holmes from killing these people...>ZERO. The AWB and mag capacity laws here in NJ have done NOTHING to mitigate violent crime.

Columbine was done during the AWB with AWB compliant weapons.

The Virginia Tech shooting was done with NJ compliant weapons.

Guns aren't the problem, crazy is the problem...

if I want I can drive to all my local dicks, and shops and buy well over 6000 rounds, the last time i was in freehold they had a case full of just 223, horandy and remington, atleast 6k rounds, so what would an online restriction do, they will sell me 100000000000000000000000 rounds at dicks they dont care, ill pay out the a** but yeah, and what stopping someone from altering a fid and license come on now, onlin sales being stopped wont stop anything

if I want I can drive to all my local dicks, and shops and buy well over 6000 rounds, the last time i was in freehold they had a case full of just 223, horandy and remington, atleast 6k rounds, so what would an online restriction do, they will sell me 100000000000000000000000 rounds at dicks they dont care, ill pay out the a** but yeah, and what stopping someone from altering a fid and license come on now, onlin sales being stopped wont stop anything

their point is that if you buy more than 1000 rounds every 5 business days, Dick's will call the cops on you.

I KNEW this was coming down the Pike, I just KNEW it!

Now I wonder how many of us are up to the fight, and how many of us are too fricken cheap to be counted as a member of something?? NRA, GOA or some other nationally-recognized Gun Owners group.

Pretty soon the El-Cheapo's are going to wish to be counted, so they'll have to join sumthin' sooner or later! Let's hope it's SOONER!

So WHAT are YOU? Part of the problem (un-counted hiding in the corner like a little boy in a wet diaper), OR part of the solution (stand yer ground and be counted)?

Dave

NRA Life Member

And the NRA has helped NJ how?

NJ Second Amendment Society.

Oh, Heller... McDonald... The fact is that It's important to be a member of NRA, SAF and NJ2AS.

As per Scalia, doesn't sound like those cases are going to matter that much if the states want to chip away at our rights. Ammo is the key. It's not 2A protected. Anti gun states like NJ and CA will start imposing ammo limiting regulations to the point where you'd be lucky to be able to buy one box of ammo a month. Watch, it will start coming like a avalanche now that the anti's know what to do.

As per Scalia, doesn't sound like those cases are going to matter that much if the states want to chip away at our rights. Ammo is the key. It's not 2A protected. Anti gun states like NJ and CA will start imposing ammo limiting regulations to the point where you'd be lucky to be able to buy one box of ammo a month. Watch, it will start coming like a avalanche now that the anti's know what to do.

Ammo HAS to be 2A protected. The 2A without ammo is as effective as the 1A without ink/paper/internet.

The "gist" of my post is that ALL OF US MUST STAND AND BE COUNTED as a member of a nationally-recognized Gun Lobby group. YOU pick the Group, but I'm going with the biggest, most powerful and most-recognized. The days of "El-Cheapo's" not signing-up to be counted should come to an END! It's about time the "Silent Majority" of Gun Owners realize that it's CRUNCH TIME in the trenches and the Politicians will listen as our numbers grow! We've been able to do great things in the past, but now is not the time to stop the fight, now is the time to pour-on the coal and get our engine fully fueled for the long haul!

Dave

OK, how about the flip side of that. What has NJ2AS done for us nationally? (No offense, Frank)

Different groups, different missions, different coverage areas. You should belong to the NRA for federal lobbying. You should be a member of SAF for lawsuits. And you should be a member of effective state groups, like NJ2AS and ANJRPC, for all of the above at the state level.

Why do people view these groups as mutually exclusive? Like if you're an NRA member you can't belong to any other group? Join them all, they all have a purpose and they all help us, even if it's only a little.

Different groups, different missions, different coverage areas. You should belong to the NRA for federal lobbying. You should be a member of SAF for lawsuits. And you should be a member of effective state groups, like NJ2AS and ANJRPC, for all of the above at the state level.

Why do people view these groups as mutually exclusive? Like if you're an NRA member you can't belong to any other group? Join them all, they all have a purpose and they all help us, even if it's only a little.

Agreed.

OK, how about the flip side of that. What has NJ2AS done for us nationally? (No offense, Frank)

Well said! Thanks! +1 zillion!

I would like to see the FBI, CIA, or whoever would be getting the "alert", deal with all of the information. I refuse to buy pistol ammo in NJ because of the stupid requirement that everything be recorded, but I would definitely buy $40 worth of .22 just to bother the feds.

In all honesty, there really isn't any way to keep track of something like that. I highly doubt Lautenburg realizes how often people buy 1000 rounds of ammo. Two bricks of .22 is nothing.