RxBandit

Meltzer's =)

First trip to Meltzer's in Garfield. My first time handling guns at a shop and after reading all of the info here, I think I, basically, didn't act like an idiot.

I don't think I've ever been to any other store, of any kind not just a firearms shop, where the employees were as nice as at Meltzer's. I wrote a post earlier today about how I went to the Bullet Hole and they were very nice there also but I think Meltzer's employees honestly care about the people walking in and out of their store.

The guy in the front, wish I could remember his name, treated me extremely well and once I was ready to go look at some guns, after browsing the fishing section which I'm more experienced with, he walked me back there and introduced me to Pete who again was extremely helpful,

Spent about an hour looking at a few .22 pistols and not only did Pete show me the one I've been thinking about buying but he showed me a bunch more and was very patient (as whatever I buy will be my first handgun) and helpful.

As a side note, now I'm stuck between deciding if I want the Ruger SR22 which is what I've been doing research on or the M&P 22 which Pete showed me today. I'll post about that whole thing on my other post I have going.

But yes, Meltzer's is definitely a great place. Gotta keep them in mind for not only guns but also my fishing!

RxB

Yep, never had a problem there. Bought my HK there and other stuff as well. They tell you straight up. No bs... Nice as pie. Like their commercial, Meltzers, no where elser... Something like that.. Hehe.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple... ;)

yeah.. i've bought a few guns from Meltzers.. they've had good prices, very knowledgable, and if they don't know, they don't BS, but they will find out for you..... .. nice guys.. they go the extra mile to show you the gun you are interested in and some comparisons..

+1 on the prices being high. Priced out a Glock 19, Ramsey was the lowest, then Caso's, then Metzlers which was about $50 more.

I was under the impression that Ramsey wasn't even worth checking out...I'm glad you said that....also have heard many good things about Caso's

I've recently bought two pistol's from Ron up at Ramsey Outdoor- the Ramsey location, not the Paramus location. He beat every other local price I got - by a good margin.

I've also bought pistols from Meltzers in the past. I'd agree with the 'high prices' sentiment too. The guy who greeted the OP at the front of the store was probably the owner. He's there all the time and is a good guy.

But yes, Meltzer's is definitely a great place. Gotta keep them in mind for not only guns but also my fishing!

RxB

Meltzers has always been a great place. It was even more fun when the old man (I think Izzy) was around in the 50's and the 60's. I have many fond memories of being in there with my Dad looking at all the long guns and pistols.

I got my first .22 Rifle and both of my shotguns there. I think the Mossberg 144LS was in the $40's, the Stevens 311 was about $69, and the Remington 1100 was $149.95.

When I was old enough to start buying handguns I got all of them there. Once I got OTJ, I went to a couple of other dealers and did mail order for work related stuff.

But I always get a warm feeling when I drive past Meltzers.

"If you shop at Meltzers, you'll go nowhere else, Sir."

As far as high prices anywhere... I hope you don't treat gun stores like KMart... If you are really interested in a weapon you see somewhere and don't think the price is what you'd like to pay, there is always a chance to haggle a bit. Especially in today's economy. Lot of places with drop prices a tad just to beat the guy down the street. Just don't be one of these store hoppers that widdle at each store till you burn them out and they toss you out the door. Meltzers is one of my fav place and has been for many years. And if it were only 50 bux more, I'd buy from anyone to get quality service.

I bought my first gun from them in 1982, a 870 Wingmaster. They do have good service. I had a problem with a rifle that was a month old and brought it back. They returned it to Marlin, got it fixed, and didn't cost me a dime. I've found very good deals on used guns. Cherry Ridge members get 10% off on used guns and $10.00 off on new. New gun prices are hit and miss. Some are on the high side and some are similar to other stores in the area.

I bought my first gun in NJ at Meltzers. They were nice and helpful. Their prices are on the high side but they have an overhead so I can understand it. They aren't ridiculously priced though and if they had something in stock I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it because the price. I can definitely recommend the place to a new purchaser as they don't try to up sell you just to up sell you.

Is anyone familiar with their used revolver selection? Seems like the kind of place that could get some in.

You need to stop by to see what they have. They don't have a huge selection, but if you're close by it's worth stopping by. I got a very good deal on a used Ruger Redhawk. I've seen nice used Smith's from time to time. Almost every time I walk in, I see something I like.

Like a Python? (hint hint)... ;)

Is anyone familiar with their used revolver selection? Seems like the kind of place that could get some in.

I bought my first gun in NJ at Meltzers. .

Buying that first gun is always a mystical experience.

I can remember how the place seemed to have acres and acres of guns when I was 7 or 8 years old.

When I got old enough, they always seemed to have something I wanted and the prices were reasonable.

It was an addicting feeling walking across the street to the little parking lot with that new package.

They had competitive prices way back when, when they sold more volume. I always looked forward to their special; "10% off on all used guns." They don't sell half the firearms they sold twenty years ago. They have less of a clientele that trades in used guns which kept their used gun rack flush with their new stock. Their fishing department carries the store, followed by clothing and then guns. They closed their archery department many years ago and stopped selling reloading supplies as well. If you run a business you have to do what's necessary to survive.

and stopped selling reloading supplies as well. If you run a business you have to do what's necessary to survive.

I don't recall them having that much of that. Back in the early 70's I used to buy my reloading supplies at Centaur on 46 in Lodi.

They've been out of business for a while, I think they were shut down.

Charlie Callas and Buddy Hackett used to shoot there all the time.

Wow! Blast from the past. I use to shoot there also. Totally forgot about that place. My uncle use to shoot with Charlie all the time. Charlie had some awesome guns.

I don't recall them having that much of that. Back in the early 70's I used to buy my reloading supplies at Centaur on 46 in Lodi.

I'll refine that by saying they stocked powder and primers. Centaur, that's a blast from the past.

Charlie used to dabble in remote control boats, and had a WWII replica battleship, complete with firing cannon. He used to "sail" it at a park in Bergen County when my kids were young. The kids got a big kick out of the cannon.

I bought my first handgun at Meltzers. The sales guy was very helpful and patient in the decision making process. I ended up with a Beretta 92fs. Looking back, glad I did. The long trigger pull did wonders for me when I was learning trigger control.

Used guns there are alwasy interesting.

A good time to check out their used gun selection is the early fall through winter. A lot of folks trading up to the latest hunting arm and you often can find some interesting items as noted.

I bought quite a few guns from Ramsey Outdoors from their Ramsey location.

I priced some of the items and they had the best prices.

They threw in a free box of ammo with one of the pistols and one of the rifles.

Got a real bargin on the Sig 522. Was $50 less than anyone else.

They had to order it and I waited 4 weeks but it was worth it.

Went to Meltzers with my son once but the place was a zoo and they did not

seem too friendly so we left after about 10 minutes.