A-Tech

Going to Aruba - Tips & Advice?

I'll be going to Aruba for my honeymoon at the end of October. I've never left the country and could use some tips/advice on what to expect, what I should do with my belongings, maybe some stuff I should buy in anticipation....Any help is appreciated!

We went on our honeymoon as well, by cruise ship. One thing that was fun, we rented a jeep and drove around the island (outside the city area) thru the desert area to the Natural Bridge. it was pretty cool, theres a bar there and takes a good chunk of your day. I would do that again.

Some friends went not long ago and ate at Marandi, said it was awesome, perfect sunset meal location.. more here http://www.restaurantsaruba.com/Marandi.html

have fun!

Aruba is a beautiful island. A great choice for a honeymoon.

Congratulations btw.

Defintely climb Hooiberg Mountain. You can see the entire island from up there. Gorgeous views.

There's a lighthouse at one end of the island. Check it out, and then have dinner at the restaurant there.

Good food, and very interesting seating outside.

No need to exchange for Aruba money. Everyone accepts US dollars, and gives prices in US dollars.

Drinking water in Aruba is excellent. No need to worry about "no ice" and getting sick from water.

Electrical outlets are same voltage as US (110 volts).

Oh, and driving in Aruba is a pleasure compared to some other islands.

Easy, well-maintained roads, and good signage.

Rent a car and explore. The island is very quaint, and the people are very nice. Not dangerous at all.

The beaches are some of the best I've seen. and the water is warm, and crystal blue.

You're gonna have a blast!

We went on our honeymoon as well, by cruise ship. One thing that was fun, we rented a jeep and drove around the island (outside the city area) thru the desert area to the Natural Bridge. it was pretty cool, theres a bar there and takes a good chunk of your day. I would do that again.

We did this too! Highly recommend.

There's also ATV and horseback tours of the Natural Bridge, and surrounding area.

I'll be going to Aruba for my honeymoon at the end of October. I've never left the country and could use some tips/advice on what to expect, what I should do with my belongings, maybe some stuff I should buy in anticipation....Any help is appreciated!

Aruba is very tourist friendly, as far as what you need...just the normal stuff for any trip. I would make sure you have GSM phone so you can make calls in the event of an emergency. A standard US CDMA phone won't work there and relying on hotel phones and such will cost you a lot.

I travel extensively and have an unlocked quad band phone. I have a bought a Mobal(www.mobal.com) international phone that works in most countries but it is expensive per minute. I took the SiM out of the Mobal phone and put it in my Quad band phone. it's a one time purchase for about $30 for the phone and chip and if you never use it, you never pay a penny more but it works in most countries. When I'm staying a long time somewhere, like Honduras or China, I get a local SIM chip and pay pennies per call.

The other thing I'd do is alert your credit card company that you'll be charging stuff from period A to period B in Aruba. I got to China the first time and my main credit card declined. My Amex worked and it turned out the CC company thought it was a fraudulent charge.

Make a copy of your passport and keep it with you but separate from the passport. I also have digital copies of my passport in a certain email acct that I can get to via the web. If I lose my real one, I can print out the dupe and use that to get me into the Embassy and prove my identity.

Other than that, have fun.

Awesome. I was thinking of calling Verizon and seeing what an international SIM card would cost me since I have a GSM phone. Do I need to worry about how I carry my money/documents on me while walking around? I know with all tourist areas comes the local scams and theives, but how bad is it there?

A-Tech,

Congrats on the upcomming wedding!

Do yourself a favor and even if you've booked an all-inclusive package, go to El-Goucho! AND then to the Cigar Bar across the street for dessert & a cigar!

I've been to Aruba at least three times off the top of my head. Walking around the Capital even at night is FINE. Plenty of places to eat, so let me know if you want a list cause I'm a "Foodie"!

Natural Bridge fell down into the sea years ago, but the drive & view are still spectacular! From the Submarine ride to SNUBA, do it all, you can't go wrong!

Plenty of places sell good Cuban cigars. If you're interested, let me know and I'll que you in on the best spots with climate controlled perfection!

Don't spend money on Aloe lotion, since many of the hotels give it away as a comp in your room, or see the maid with a little scratch!

I LOVE Aruba, and if I could, I'd retire there! Swiss watches & Cuban cigars....how in the hell can you go wrong!

Have loads of fun, and remember if you don't come back with a tan, you'll be accused of stayin' in the room too long, lol!

Dave

Yes the natural bridge died a natural death I heard.

Aside from all the suggestions here I would add to go out to one of the wrecks on the huge pirate looking ship there ( I think it was called Mi Dushi) . The Captain has a 60 foot free dive , the snorkeling over the wrecks was awesome , and there is a rope swing off the boat for the adventurous types.

I enjoyed renting a Jeep and exploring. If you surf , the side of the Island that faces Venezuala has AWESOME waves..but plenty of Bull Sharks. They do not have a history of bothering the surfers ( at least not when I was there) , a few bumps in the last 10 years was all they had on record , no bites. You can sometimes see the shark's silhouettes in the waves at dusk and dawn on that side of the island..pretty cool. The other side of the island is calmer and great for wind surfing , kayaking , etc.

Your new wife , depending on how she feels about her hair , may or may not appreciate the constant hot dry strong wind. That is why it is the hottest wind surfing spot . I loved it , my mother who is somewhat hair style conscious , did not. So if she cares about her hair being blown around to bits tell her to pack lots of head scarves , hair ties , headbands.Brimmed hats are all but useless there unless glued on :)

Have a great time and congratulations!

Sandy,

I just LOVE the "glued-on" comment! You hit the nail on the head! Even BB caps go bye-bye into the ocean!

A-Tech,

One really nice thing about the breeze--it keeps hurricanes AND BUGS away! You can put a beach blanket under a Divi-Divi tree and never worry about insects!

Aruba has one of the largest (if not the largest) desalinization plants in the entire world, and the water is fine! Restricted developement is in place to prevent the resources from being over-run with demand, and the hotels all have signs asking you to drop dirty towels on the floor, otherwise to use your towels more than once to save precious water!

The jewelery shops make so much money along the strip, that they literally air condition the outside (no doors to open).

Iguana Joe's has a nice lunch menu and it's right in the big fancy mall--upstairs.

See if you can plan your shopping trips around the opposite times the ships are in port. You'll avoid the crowds and enjoy the shopping better. Ask anybody on the street, they'll KNOW the schedule for the ships. When all three are in port, that's the time to drive along and visit the outskirts of the Island, the Lighthouse, golf course, etc. ANYTHING but be downtown--unless you like that sort of thing!

Nicest romantic dinning is at Gaspirito's, on their patio. Real Aruban food and ice cold champagne!

For a small fee, I'll play tour director, lol!

Dave

Well I'm glad you mentioned the hats because I'm never without one. I can't believe the Natural Bridge is no longer there. We were pretty excited to do the ATV ride out there and see it. Our plans are to do every outdoor activity that we can, including the sky-diving they have out there. I'm sure it will be awesome to skydive over and island! Do the typical menu items vary away from seafood? My wife-to-be is allergic and it was a small concern of what our variety would be as far as how many different restaraunts would have more than that. If that's a stupid question than nevermind, I just wouldn't expect too much of a carnivore's menu on an island.

It is not a stupid question at all , as seafood is the main diet there. All beef and diary was imported at a very dear price when I was last there ( unless a beef/dairy farm has popped up there since, I'm sure it was the same ) . Cows milk is super super expensive there , and so is beef for that reason. Chicken will be the way to go for her. Be real clear about her allergies , as some side dishes may have shellfish ingredients. Where are you staying? As long as you're not at the all inclusive ( I think Divy Divy is the only all inclusive there) you should be able to get meat dishes..just be prepared for the higher than usual price!

Let the resort know of her allergies too. I was at an island resort once with a friend who had bad shellfish allergies. They put these complimentary chips out ..looked like pork rinds or something. She ate one or two and blew up like a balloon..they were chips made out of prawns. So make sure you always ask !

It's been many years for me so I can't add much to the discussion except..... Don't over think it.It's your Honeymoon so there should be only one thing on your mind...your new wife. She'll remember and appreciate it.

Don't be too ambitious with all the activities, you and your new wife will need time to just relax and be still for awhile.

The sun is brutal this time of the year, so prepare to be burnt and exhausted.

The Wind is relentless so the hotel pool area is your respite.

Get in and under water. because of no natural runoff and proximity to major currents, visibility is typically 100 ft +

Cuban rum and cigars....nuff said.

In duty free...haggle like the Chinese and start at half of asking price.Be prepared to walk.

Congratulations and enjoy.

Most restaurants have a vast selection. Others specialize in seafood but still offer a few meat dishes. Others, such as Amazonia and Texas De Brasil? offer Brazilian style sliced meats like you'd get in the Ironbound section in Newark, anotherwords MEAT, INCORPORATED!! Then there's Tony Roma's for ribs.......

I would stay with the more eclectic island-based mom& pop's than go to Tony Roma's, but I mentioned it to put your mind at ease. El-Goucho is STEAK! Argentinian and aged to perfection! Mexican restaurants with an island flare still has plenty of chicken dishes, as does the little Cuban place across from the police station (Cuba's Cookin'?). Cuban place also has plenty of pork dishes, rice & beans, etc. Live entertainment too!

Even the famous fish joints all have something with meat on the menu, for just such an ocaision as yours.

One tip about renting jeeps or riding in the back of one in a convoy: they're open-air, so you eat all of the road dust! Bring water to clear your eyes & throat and wash your sunglasses before rubbing them or they'll get scratched-up mighty quick. Better to rent your own jeep to ride in and explore the island...less road grit that way!

Some of the restaurants I wrote about are open for lunch, others are only dinner spots. Go to aruba.com and check around for specials & photos & menus!

Dave

A-tech I can say from when I was there 12 years ago. The food choices there are well rounded. I believe steak the food that all other are measured by, and I was not let down. The breeze is wonderful, beaches clean and white, and the water is blue and clear. I would start making your reservations now for car/jeep rental just to make sure they have what you want when you get there. Just remember to enjoy your self while there. Good Luck to a great Wedding.

They also had gambling when i was there 30 yrs ago if you like that. Maybe you'll get lucky on the $5 slot pulls like my brand new wife did-VERY nice payout! Dont wear any shiny jewlery if snorkeling in the water or you may have a scary meet & greet with a barricuda like I did! Still remember those eyes.....

They also had gambling when i was there 30 yrs ago if you like that. Maybe you'll get lucky on the $5 slot pulls like my brand new wife did-VERY nice payout! Dont wear any shiny jewlery if snorkeling in the water or you may have a scary meet & greet with a barricuda like I did! Still remember those eyes.....

...So you remember that Jacques Cousteau segment also?... The fact is Aruba has a few coral reefs but they are rather anemic and sparse.so reef and ocean going Barracuda is of little concern.

...So you remember that Jacques Cousteau segment also?... The fact is Aruba has a few coral reefs but they are rather anemic and sparse.so reef and ocean going Barracuda is of little concern.

I dis-agree! that one barricuda caused me great concern!

I dis-agree! that one barricuda caused me great concern!

I encountered Cudas of all sizes all across the Caribbean and frequently hunted and shot them wearing everything from gold chains, earrings,watches as well as a polished stainless break away spear head on my primary gun....just as long as you're not spraying canned cheeze wiz into a school of reef fish, you have nothing to worry about.

Congrats to the both of you ,we are planning a 25th wedding anniversary and are thinking Aruba also never been there so i really appreciate all the info as well.Has any one stayed at the RIU Palace Aruba i would love to hear your feedback.This is an all inclusive resort or is pay as you go a better option. thanks in advance ,we would be going in november

I love baby beach in aruba. I cant believe nobody has mentioned this yet. It is a beautiful man made inlet. I think it is some of the best snorkling. You can rent gear right on the beach if you dont want to bring your own. I may suggest a water proof digital camera. You see so many cool fish. I have pictures of all different things from octopus to barricuda. When i was there I spent ALOT of time in the water. It was the first time i got to hold a live seahorse in the ocean.

Congrats on the wedding. Aruba will be a blast :good:

Congrats to the both of you ,we are planning a 25th wedding anniversary and are thinking Aruba also never been there so i really appreciate all the info as well.Has any one stayed at the RIU Palace Aruba i would love to hear your feedback.This is an all inclusive resort or is pay as you go a better option. thanks in advance ,we would be going in november

Mike,

As far as an all-inclusive, I think that is a good idea ONLY when there aren't so many really great places to go & eat. An isolated resort on a smaller island with no decent restaurants to go visit. Otherwise you MIGHT feel trapped into dining at the same restaurants every morning, noon AND night like I did, just ONCE! NEVER again! I like to experience all sorts of adventure, and often would miss the lunch at the all-inclusive and then have to buy something while out & about. So you really wind-up paying for double lunches OR missing-out on activities just so you can be at the Hotel to have that all-inclusive lunch........

My suggestion is to go the Condo route if possible. Cheap beer (soda, water, wine, etc.) in your own fridge! Plenty of room, make your own coffee in the morning, have some delicious fruit & cereal, pack a lunch & drinks in a cooler and jump into your own jeep. Go and explore & enjoy on your own time frame, instead of someone else's. But that's just me. If you want to be papmered with room service, any good hotel along the either strip of Palm or Eagle Beach will do. For our 20th we stayed at the Hyatt and got upgraded to a small suite and loved it. When you pick a hotel, make sure that they have ample lounge chairs alongside the pool, as the wind picks-up in the afternoon and if you don't want to get sand-blasted, everyone heads for the pool area. Wide-open uncovered pool does not stop the wind. Go for something that is nestled between buildings and has lots of trees to cut down on the breeze a little. Worth every penney!

And remember to come back with some kind of tan, or you'll be accused of spending too much time in the room, lol!

Have a blast!

Dave