Steve_G

1911-22 - Which one?

I'm looking to pick up a 1911 in .22 this fall and thought I had made up my mind. I started out considering the Colt/Umarex, compared it to the GSG/Sig and after weighing the differences, decided on the GSG/Sig. The only problem was that I wanted something to match my stainless TRP. After a little digging around on the net, I came across the Kimber rimfire Target. Not stainless but, close enough.

Does anyone have one of these? How's the quality, reliability, etc.?

rimfire-target-silver.jpg

I can't even comment on how great my colt is. It's still sitting in the case unfired. I really need to make time to shoot all these guns I buy.

If you stop buying for another month, maybe you will have time to shoot, hahaha. But I wish I had that problem.

Back to the question, I have been in the market for about a month now for a 1911-22 and I'm really leaning towards UMAREX/colt too, but I never fired or held one. But I did hold both a sig and gsg at firearms guild in Rahway

I'll have to say the GSG isn't perfect out of the box -- But at $299 what do you expect.

It is a great platform to start out with and very upgradeable -- Mine's having surgery now -- Should be ready in a couple weeks

The Kimber is sweet... You are looking at the Target model...

This is on my list...

http://www.kimberame...e-target-silver

some realy good pics.. I actually may like it in black..

silver

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=302501670

black

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=301864253

Remember, you can get a Kimber in .45 and then get a conversion for it. You will essentially have 2 guns on one permit. .22 is so cheap to shoot and .45 is so FUN to shoot.

Good luck with your decision.

C

I'll have to say the GSG isn't perfect out of the box -- But at $299 what do you expect.

It is a great platform to start out with and very upgradeable -- Mine's having surgery now -- Should be ready in a couple weeks

What's ya doing to it Jer?

I think the Colt got good reviews in one of the May issue of Gun Tests. I really don't like the pot metal designs in these guns.

It's really a tough decision. The GSG is cheap and upgradeable but, the Kimber does not need much as far as upgrades go, just the front sight. It is more than double the price though. Also, no pot metal on the Kimber, all aluminum. And it breaks down just like a standard 1911, no barrel screw to mess with. I'm going to have to run this by the chief financial officer and see what she thinks...

What's ya doing to it Jer?

Harry, 1st off I'm gonna clean up the trigger trying out this -- Poor Man's Trigger Job (courtesy of 1911tuner)

I also turned a NM barrel bushing to fit the slide and am sending it out for a fitted slide alignment cone along with slide enhancement package from ZRTS --

ZRTS GSG & Sig Sauer 1911-22 Deluxe Enhancement Package

I picked up an adjustable rear sight last week that needs a little fitting. Nothing for the front sight yet but I'll figure that out...

I'm really wanting to try out doing some guncote or some sort of finish to the frame while it's torn down but I probably won't.

Other than that, not much...

Jer

Nice Jer, you will have to let me check her out when you get it done.

I did the base pads on the mags, changed out the guide rod and fiber optic front site done already, all from CW except the front site that I got from DP.

I still have the rear adjustable site to put on her and like you know it does need some fitting, I keep saying I'll get it done.

Work and free time has been the issue, will be at least for the next few months, but that should be changing by the new year.

I am zombie-fying this old thread.

Any more opinions on a .22LR 1911? I think my second permit will go to this (first one got me a Para 1911 in .45 last week). I'd rather go with a standalone 1911 than a conversion kit.

I've heard mixed reviews on the GSG, good for the Colt and Sig, great for the Kimber (outta my price range, though). Has anyone tried the Chiappa? Reviews of it say the trigger sux. And what other options are there?

Thanks!

I ended up getting the Sig 1911-22. It is the same exact gun as the GSG. I only have a few hundred rounds through it but, it ran pretty well. I also considerd the Kimber but, it was just too light. I wanted something that felt like my 1911 and the Sig fits that bill. I have also seen the Colt in action and it ran very well also. As far as the Sig goes, I am very happy with it right now. Only time will tell how it holds up, if it develops any issues or gets better. I'm hoping it will only get better as it breaks in.

Edit to add:

I replaced the guide rod, recoil spring, bushing and plug all before the first shot was fired. Everything I have heard about the CW Accessories parts has been great. The gun is definitely tighter and smooter with these parts. Also replaced the sights with a Dawson fiber optic front and Dawson adjustable Novak rear. The factory sights really suck.

I ended up getting the Sig 1911-22. It is the same exact gun as the GSG. I only have a few hundred rounds through it but, it ran pretty well. I also considerd the Kimber but, it was just too light. I wanted something that felt like my 1911 and the Sig fits that bill. I have also seen the Colt in action and it ran very well also. As far as the Sig goes, I am very happy with it right now. Only time will tell how it holds up, if it develops any issues or gets better. I'm hoping it will only get better as it breaks in. Edit to add: I replaced the guide rod, recoil spring, bushing and plug all before the first shot was fired. Everything I have heard about the CW Accessories parts has been great. The gun is definitely tighter and smooter with these parts. Also replaced the sights with a Dawson fiber optic front and Dawson adjustable Novak rear. The factory sights really suck.

Does your GSG still shoot high with the replacement Dawson sights? If not can you please let me know what size Dawson sights you used.

What upgrades do you think are needed to make it a good/accurate shooter?

I am zombie-fying this old thread.

Any more opinions on a .22LR 1911? I think my second permit will go to this (first one got me a Para 1911 in .45 last week). I'd rather go with a standalone 1911 than a conversion kit.

I've heard mixed reviews on the GSG, good for the Colt and Sig, great for the Kimber (outta my price range, though). Has anyone tried the Chiappa? Reviews of it say the trigger sux. And what other options are there?

Thanks!

I love my colt rail gun. Shoots great and looks fantastic

Thanks everyone for your help. There's now a Sig 1911-22 waiting for me at my FFL. Merry Christmas!

Good choice. I just cleaned mine for the first time (after about 600 rounds). After lubing and reassembling, it feels really smooth. And with the CW Accessories parts there is no play in the slide/frame fit. Very happy with mine.

001-4.jpg

It's pending sale as of this moment. If things change, I'll contact those in the order they expressed an interests. To the OP, I'm really sorry for junking up your thread. I should have not responded and just posted a separate thread. I apologize.