mikeyboyeee

Buh Bye Camden Police

Didn't see it posted yet:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/24/camden-nj-to-reboot-police-department-by-new-year/#ixzz24e3FPNvM

Crime-ridden Camden, New Jersey - often referred to as the most dangerous city in the United States—is getting rid of its police department.

In the latest example of a cash-strapped municipality taking drastic measures to deal with swollen public sector liabilities and shrinking budgets, the city plans to disband its 460-member police department and replace it with a non-union “Metro Division” of the Camden County Police. Backers of the plan say it will save millions of dollars for taxpayers while ensuring public safety, but police unions say it is simply a way to get out of collective bargaining with the men and women in blue.

“This is definitely a form of union-busting," Camden Fraternal Order of Police President John Williamson told FoxNews.com. “This method is unproven and untested, to put your faith in an agency that doesn’t even [yet] exist.”

Camden County Mayor Dana Redd has said layoffs of the city’s police force will begin by the end of the month. Only 49 percent of current city police officers will be transferred to the new county division, whose members will begin a four- to five-month training program.

“There is a crisis, but this is not the solution. It’s a disaster waiting to happen.”

- -Joseph Eisenhardt, president of the Camden County Police Chiefs Association

“The officers who are getting laid off are going to have to be the ones who train their replacements,” Williamson said.

The department has been under the control of the state since 2005, when a power struggle between then-Mayor Gwendolyn Faison and the department prompted Faison to ask the state to take over. That arrangement is set to expire and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has thrown his support behind the transition to county control, which he indicated will help keep costs down.

“A county police force that has a reasonable contract, and that’s going to provide a huge increase in the number of police officers on the streets here in Camden, is a win for everybody,” Christie said at a recent event at Rutgers-Camden University, where he signed a reform bill for higher education. “I’m willing to put my name on the line for this concept.”

But Williamson told FoxNews.com his organization understands the budgetary constraints the city faces and said the FOP has made concessions such as dropping a shift pay differential.

“We tried to give them what they wanted, but they asked that we drop all and any lawsuits that officers have against the city," he said, noting he personally has a suit pending against the city's police chief.

Repeated requests for comment to Redd’s office were not returned.

Earlier this week, a meeting was held with officials from neighboring border towns for a progress update and how the plan would affect their communities. A minor fracas broke out when Chief Joseph Eisenhardt of the Barrington Police Department—a town that does not border Camden—was denied access to the meeting, causing police chiefs from eight other municipalities to walk out. While some suspect he and the other chiefs were there to show solidarity with the Camden city police, Eisenhardt said the county's other municipalities fear that Camden will soak up all of the county police department's resources.

“The county’s resources would be sent to problem areas like [the city of] Camden, taking away from the patrolling of other towns in the county,” Eisenhardt said. “There is a crisis, but this is not the solution.

“It’s a disaster waiting to happen.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/24/camden-nj-to-reboot-police-department-by-new-year/#ixzz24lTLxRlv

IMHO it sounds like union busting. But I would love to see the details of the law suits mentioned and see a copy of the contract before i pass final judgement.

What Camden really needs is what happened in Philly decades ago: the Mayor at the time gave orders to have dropped an explosive device into the slum area where the indigenous population was runnin' amuck, and it sorta was a little too big and wiped-out a few city blocks. Things sorta calmed-down after that experiment, as I fondly recall....

Camden is so bad, when the Scouts go to see the USS New Jersey, we were told by State Troopers patrolling the area to run red lights near the ship (if nuthin was comin') to avoid being carjacked!

The inmates are running the assylum RIGHT NOW, so anything is better than what we currently have! It isn't really going to get any worse. If it does, they could re-do one of the Charley Bronson films in the Deathwish series, and not have to pay actors, cause IT'S FOR REAL!!

Dave

“There is a crisis, but this is not the solution. It’s a disaster waiting to happen.”

-Joseph Eisenhardt, president of the Camden County Police Chiefs Association

But, Camden is already one of the most dangerous cities in the nation. They don't really have the headroom for things to get much worse. The city is basically a 24 hour, living & breathing disaester in and of itself, so how much is there really to lose?

Id' like to hear what the LEO's on this forum think about this...

I'd like to know what the residents of Camden County (other than Camden City), think about this.

Doesn't sound like the politicians give one rats ass about what either party have to say. I have read the article and I don't think dissolving a whole police force is going to make anything happen. Also in regards to this training that they have to do,who's paying for that?

Here's another article from nj.com. Interesting spin on this one. They use a lot of qualifiers like "could save money". Essentially the state is looking at the move to a "regional police force" as a model for other cash strapped municipalities in the state:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/camden_county_to_form_regional.html

The answers have already been given. It's a left pocket, right pocket thing. They will still have to pay the Officers, but it will come out of COUNTY resources instead of Camden's. As pointed out, the county resources will now be taxed more substantially, and as in many other things, folks not from Camden will be paying for Camden, both in the inevitible higher taxes to support a war to regain control of the city, and in a reduction in available county resources as they are redirected in support of Camden policing. So, it's a lose lose for those not from Camden, and a win win for those from Camden; and without trying to tap dance all over the PC line, many of whom haven't paid any taxes in a very long time...if ever. It's very clearly a form of union busting(right out of the horse's as...I mean mouth), but moreover it's a slippery slope. What happens if the County doesn't have better results? A metro division of the State Police? They already tried that with reportedly poor results. How about the National Guard Soliders that aren't trained in LE to Police things up? If it works in standard NG fashion(I was in the Nasty Guard for ten years), they'll either be unarmed, armed but without ammunition, or with VERY limited distribution of ammo, likely to folks that are LEOs on the civilian side. When they inevitibly fail(hopefully without losing a Solider in the process), do we just Federalize the Police forces? That has to tickle the funny bone of the more outspoken Liberitiarians in the crowd...

My wife got a job working for US Manufaturer's Insurance Company as an Insurance Adjuster. As soon as I found out she had to go into Camden to inspect customer's vehicles, I helped motivate her to find another job...

I want to see what they are going to do with all the money they are planning to save?

Not saving any $$$, just effectively they will not have to borrow $$$ at interest that they will never be able to repay. Or more realistically, nobody will lend them money any longer and the State is tired of dumping cash in there.

This is a way to rid themselves of the burden of police contracts. Purely a monetary decision. The new police force will not do any better of a job and the loss of policing in other areas will have ramifications. This will be a catastrophic failure in the short and long term. I now hope that place gets what is coming to it.

“The officers who are getting laid off are going to have to be the ones who train their replacements,”

What training? The replacements are already LEO. They don't need to learn CPD way of (not) doing things.

I disagree with the no training needed. They may not need basic law enforcement training as they will already be cops, but that doesnt mean they will be nearly as effective as the police that already know the area and its residents. Response times will worsen as new police try to find their dispatched location. Im sure Police tactics also differ going from suburban to urban environments as there are different variables you must take into account

Sent from tapatalk deep within a bunker, lathered in hoppes and wrapped in tinfoil

The only possible help the police dept could get, would be to keep the thugs in jail and not let them back out..Their probably back out in 24 hours..

Plus Jobs in the area..

With out those two their hands are tied pretty tight,, They might as well go to work wearing their handcuffs..

No way are any of the local camden county township cops ready to take on the streets of camden , i really dont think they expierience the brutality on such a large scale as they do in their local towns , i hope for their safety cause its def a different world there .

As a taxpayer, I've always been of the mind that every little town/city in NJ (and we have HUNDREDS of them) does not need to have their own fiefdoms services. There is no reason, besides greed, that trash collection, police/fire, and school districts couldn't be administered at the county level instead of the local level.

As a taxpayer, I've always been of the mind that every little town/city in NJ (and we have HUNDREDS of them) does not need to have their own fiefdoms services. There is no reason, besides greed, that trash collection, police/fire, and school districts couldn't be administered at the county level instead of the local level.

Or for that matter at the state level.

Absolutely, positively agree.

Howell has insanely high taxes. We dont even get trash pickup with our taxes. F'ed up.

very true, MUA is owned by a local guy who owns a realestate buisness that has been here since the place was built. How does a private party own your local MUA..

I disagree with the no training needed. They may not need basic law enforcement training as they will already be cops, but that doesn't mean they will be nearly as effective as the police that already know the area and its residents. Response times will worsen as new police try to find their dispatched location. I'm sure Police tactics also differ going from suburban to urban environments as there are different variables you must take into account

Sent from tapatalk deep within a bunker, lathered in hoppes and wrapped in tinfoil

No way are any of the local camden county township cops ready to take on the streets of camden , i really dont think they experience the brutality on such a large scale as they do in their local towns , i hope for their safety cause its def a different world there .

I fully agree with both comments. There's no way you can take a cop that's done nothing but service someplace like Cherry HIll and put them in Camden and expect them to perform as well as a native Camden cop from the start. Thinking otherwise is just silly. As a person who lives in a neighboring town of Camden, I'm pretty bummed out if this goes though. It's bad enough the scum from Camden have been infiltrating our town slowly but surely over the last decade or so, but this change will destroy all neighboring towns and will not help satisfy the primary objective in saving Camden.

I've said it before (and those of you who remember my stance on solving the border patrol/illegals issues shouldn't be surprised), that the only way to solve this Camden issue is to relocate the handful of good folks who are living there, then level the city by any and all means. Then rebuild from the ground up and let the displaced good people come back in.

Howell has insanely high taxes. We dont even get trash pickup with our taxes. F'ed up.

I will switch with you in a heartbeat Candide, you can have my taxes, my trash pickup twice a week and my weekly summer brush and grass pickup and I will just take Howell thanks. Any. Day. Of. The. Week.

(former Howell resident) :facepalm:

...that the only way to solve this Camden issue is to relocate the handful of good folks who are living there, then level the city by any and all means. Then rebuild from the ground up and let the displaced good people come back in.

So, kill tens of thousands of people and spend tens of billions to destroy the entire city and rebuild it from scratch? Are you just going big so that walling the entire city off will eventually seem reasonable by comparison?

How much do you think has been spent to "fix Camden" over the last 30-years? How much additional monies do you think it's going to cost going down the path of implimenting a Metro Division of the CC Police Dept? I don't have exact figures in front of me, but it's a staggering number, I'm sure. It's sad to say, but the few good people have given up. They've lost the battle and they know it. The only solution, as far as I'm concerned, is a re-do and start from scratch. The only way I'm aware of to get the scum from the city is to exterminate them. Label it what you may. Locking them up has proven to do no good. Not enough prisons, not enough judges that have a set of balls on them. This hold true not just from Camden, but the other similar cities in the country.

I'd love to hear your alternative solution. If you don't have one, that's fine too, just declare that.