Sign in to follow this  
SmokeEater67

Is it legal

Is it illegal in NJ if I sit in my back yard and clean my guns? I'm asking cause I usually watch my son play in the yard but when I'm just sitting there watching I figured it would be more productive to (for lack of better words) kill to birds with one stone. I have a 6foot fence all the way around but if my neighbors are upstairs they could see over the fence.

Is it illegal in NJ if I sit in my back yard and clean my guns? I'm asking cause I usually watch my son play in the yard but when I'm just sitting there watching I figured it would be more productive to (for lack of better words) kill to birds with one stone. I have a 6foot fence all the way around but if my neighbors are upstairs they could see over the fence.

Think... Why whould it be illegal? Are you posing a public safety hazard? Are you brandishing?

I believe you have every right to clean your firearms in your yard.

Yes, it's legal on property that is possessed by you.

May or may not be a good idea depending on how well you know your neighbors. Are they going to be spooked by seeing your "arsenal" on display from their bedroom window? Are they going to take a visual inventory of your collection and pass it on to their less savory relatives/friends of friends who may be interested in relieving you of some of your collection when you're not around?

Not trying to scare you off of doing it, just providing some other aspects to think about.

The fact that anyone thought to ask this question is a sad commentary on NJ Statism. How readily we sheeple accept the premise that if we are doing anything with firearms we are likely breaking a law somehow someway.

How does that quote go about the government is supposed to fear its people, not people fearing their government?

The fact that anyone thought to ask this question is a sad commentary on NJ Statism. How readily we sheeple accept the premise that if we are doing anything with firearms we are likely breaking a law somehow someway.

How does that quote go about the government is supposed to fear its people, not people fearing their government?

You also have to remember that some folks who post on this forum don't even own a gun......

Cleaning a gun in front of the neighbors is one thing. And some posters have already weighed-in on the potential problems caused by reckless "advertising". Cleaning a gun with a kid in the yard is another. Is the kid going to be "swept" in the process of cleaning this "gun" while said kid is playing in the yard, OR does the OP have a safe spot (such as a Safe Table) with a backstop up against a berm?

Too me this thread wreaks of a set-up by a Troll. Or at least inexperience! So without knowing whether said gun is a semi-auto hand gun or merely a pre-dissassembled black powder single shot rifle, I don't think we have enough info to tell the guy to go ahead and do it.

YES, it might be legal to do it. But if someone calls the Cops and takes a cell phone video of a kid playing in the yard getting swept by a firearm does DYFS have something to add to this conversation???

If someone owns enough property to clean a gun in their back yard while their kid is playing, they can do so in a SHED! IMHO the nosy neighbors don't need to know what's going on.

COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!!

Dave

The only thing I would be cautious of as another poster stated is advertising the fact that you have firearms in case nefarious people get informed by word of mouth and decide to target your home for a burglary. I personally believe firearms are up there on the scale of targeted items along with jewelery, cash, small expensive electronics (laptops, tablets, etc) , precious metals...

I suppose its all about who your neighbors are, and if you feel they wouldn't go blabbing, or if you are confident they don't socialize in those kinds of social circles....

You also have to remember that some folks who post on this forum don't even own a gun......

Cleaning a gun in front of the neighbors is one thing. And some posters have already weighed-in on the potential problems caused by reckless "advertising". Cleaning a gun with a kid in the yard is another. Is the kid going to be "swept" in the process of cleaning this "gun" while said kid is playing in the yard, OR does the OP have a safe spot (such as a Safe Table) with a backstop up against a berm?

Too me this thread wreaks of a set-up by a Troll. Or at least inexperience! So without knowing whether said gun is a semi-auto hand gun or merely a pre-dissassembled black powder single shot rifle, I don't think we have enough info to tell the guy to go ahead and do it.

YES, it might be legal to do it. But if someone calls the Cops and takes a cell phone video of a kid playing in the yard getting swept by a firearm does DYFS have something to add to this conversation???

If someone owns enough property to clean a gun in their back yard while their kid is playing, they can do so in a SHED! IMHO the nosy neighbors don't need to know what's going on.

COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!!

Dave

I generally don't clean my firearms in the presence of my children. The twins are just 5 and my son isn't yet mature enough to learn safe handling. His sister is, but I'm reluctant to do it with one and not the other since they are twins. When they are old enough, I expect that I will be using their help in cleaning...lol

My choice to clean outdoors, on occasion, is because of the strong smell of the cleaning solvents. If it is a nice day out, it is a chance to be outside in the fresh air. I suppose, I am inviting some judgment from my neighbors, but I took the mentality that "my home is my castle" and I'm not endangering anyone by taking the work outside where I can be in the sunshine and not listening to the complaints of my wife over the stench of the Hoppe's.

Not doing it as show of force or doing it in a cavalier way.

The only thing I would be cautious of as another poster stated is advertising the fact that you have firearms in case nefarious people get informed by word of mouth and decide to target your home for a burglary. I personally believe firearms are up there on the scale of targeted items along with jewelery, cash, small expensive electronics (laptops, tablets, etc) , precious metals...

I suppose its all about who your neighbors are, and if you feel they wouldn't go blabbing, or if you are confident they don't socialize in those kinds of social circles....

Oh, I certainly agree with you that it is a bad idea.

I was commenting on the OP's question regarding legality. 100% legal; and God help us if the State ever becomes so invasive that it is not.

As far as the sensibility of the act; well, stupid is as stupid does. I leave such things to Professor Darwin and Mr. Murphy.

I was wondering about this as well.i live in condo development (rent not own) and would like to be able to clean my guns on the back deck (wife hates hoppes smell).

While legal, i can definitely see some neighbor freaking out and calling the fuzz.

COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!!

Dave

What Dave said was what popped into my head. I would clean my guns outside , but not with the kids running around and playing. I am going to great lengths to teach my almost 6 year old about safe handling , muzzle direction and such and we all know when you clean your gun it has been checked clear by you and you simply have to handle it in all directions to clean it properly. So it would be IMO counter productive for my 6 year old to be around gun cleaning. She is the Queen of saying " but you said NEVER to do that..." She won't be cleaning any guns for a long while because of the chemicals and lead involved ..so in my mind she only needs to be around safe tables and controlled and safe shooting events for right now. Plus , I am not comfortable sweeping someone while cleaning my gun even if I KNOW it is empty. Muscle memory..people around means heightened awareness. Basically I would clean my gun outside without worrying about the law because I can legally do it..and I would make sure it points in a safe direction as in not at my neighbors window....but I would not clean my gun period , anywhere with people milling around me in any capacity. Just me.

Another good point is flaunting valuables. I know my neighbors are rock solid..but if I did not know that I would not have a gun collection out on the table any more than I would leave my open jewelry box or camera gear collection out on the picnic bench on display.

I clean them more times than not on my screen porch. It's actually easier to do it on the kitchen island but I prefer to be outside and not stink up the house.

The porch is private but a snooping neighbor could see if they tried hard.

So, legal? Yes.

But the use of common sense is advised, or, be prepared to deal with a cop knocking on your door wondering why you have guns out in the back yard.

I generally don't clean my firearms in the presence of my children. The twins are just 5 and my son isn't yet mature enough to learn safe handling. His sister is, but I'm reluctant to do it with one and not the other since they are twins. When they are old enough, I expect that I will be using their help in cleaning...lol

My choice to clean outdoors, on occasion, is because of the strong smell of the cleaning solvents. If it is a nice day out, it is a chance to be outside in the fresh air. I suppose, I am inviting some judgment from my neighbors, but I took the mentality that "my home is my castle" and I'm not endangering anyone by taking the work outside where I can be in the sunshine and not listening to the complaints of my wife over the stench of the Hoppe's.

Not doing it as show of force or doing it in a cavalier way.

I didn't post what I did with YOU in mind, because I've been around you and know you'll do the right thing and not sweep your own kids.

I posted what I did so as to enlighten others about the risks of pointing firearms accidentally at their own kids. Or at least depending upon what angle the neighbors have to see into a yard. The OP stated that kid(s) would be in the yard while gun cleaning is taking place. This could go bad real quick, especially if you have a loaded mag on your person when (NOT IF) the Cops show-up!

I always parse my words on this forum to the extent that I never know the experience level of the person I'm chatting with. I highly doubt a Competition Shooter of known ability who travels in my circles would start a thread about this in the LEGAL section of the forum. Instead, the act of gun cleaning at a Safe Table in your own yard would be mentioned in a less dramatic, non-chalont way.........

From the looks of the list of names looking at this thread, it appears to have drawn significant interest at this point!

Dave

Too me this thread wreaks of a set-up by a Troll. Or at least inexperience!

I'm not sure if it's a troll set up. Actually, I think it's a good discussion, but one easily fueled by inexperience.

Lets face it, the vast majority of people in NJ are misinformed about guns, gun laws and the shooting sports in general. Some of those uninformed, or illinformed, are gun owners themselves. Me included. So much to learn and I'm still learning.

I'm not sure if it's a troll set up. Actually, I think it's a good discussion, but one easily fueled by inexperience.

Lets face it, the vast majority of people in NJ are misinformed about guns, gun laws and the shooting sports in general. Some of those uninformed, or illinformed, are gun owners themselves. Me included. So much to learn and I'm still learning.

I'm not so sure at this point. NO replies to any of our answers since the original post........sort of like throwing a hand grenade into a room to see what happens.......

I hope I'm proven wrong, and I hope that the OP hasn't already swept his kid in their back yard.......

This was post #5

MY BAD! Didn't see it! Thank-you for the correction, because I really did miss it and now I feel embarrassed. So to the OP: I'm sorry for the put-down, because it's not what I'm about! People here know that about me.

I still hope he/she reads the rest of the thread and gleans some concerns about Cops, Sweeping, Safe Tables, Sheds, Neighbors with loose lips, DYFS, etc.

The cleaning of firearms is a religious experience that should be performed only upon the alter of the workbench in the sanctuary of the basement and is not to be witness by outsiders, non-believers, or children who have not yet reached the age of majority.

:rabbi:

The cleaning of firearms is a religious experience that should be performed only upon the alter of the workbench in the sanctuary of the basement and is not to be witness by outsiders, non-believers, or children who have not yet reached the age of majority.

:rabbi:

Also edit to add: And in such a way as to eliminate all possibility of tensioned springs from leaving the immediate area!

LOL!

If we were in America, this question would never have been asked.

Sorry didn’t get back on after checking the first 4 posts didn’t think it would blow up like this. Answer some questions yes I own guns. I normally clean in on my porch for reasons others said (wife not a fan of smell). I know accidents happen! Would I really be aiming my gun or even pointing at my kid NO I’m not a complete @$$. My yard is large 100x150 and section off for pool area and playground I have a patio between the two and could keep a good view either way. After reading the replies I think I will stay on the porch. The “I know my neighbors are good but would I flaunt jewelry in front” of them made sense and I wasn't thinking about that part. I was worried if they called and police came if it would be an issue. Although even when cleaning on my porch I don’t have a safe table.

So sorry if you thought I was trolling I’m not a pro shooter just someone that believes in the 2nd amendment. Plus I don’t live on a PC to check this every 30seconds. Also don’t worry about my feelings I got thick skin not taking any of it personal.

Also I'm not originally from NJ live here now though