Jmac92

Long Range Rifle Shooting

18 posts in this topic

In reply to the locked post:

Cumberland Riflemen in Millville (Cumberland county) is the only 600yd range available to civilians in the state.

You need to be a member or the guest of a member to use the facility.

We shoot monthly matches there on weekends through October, then pick it up again in the spring.

So Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow (lower Camden county) has a 300yd range.

Same guest rules as Cumberland

It's my regular club, so I'm there lots more than monthly..

Contact me if you're interested in coming down to either one.

+1000. Best range around.

They even want to push out to 600 yds, but as of now, the town won't let them expand the footprint. They are constantly upgrading the ranges.

Dam!  That would be sweet!

Don't forget, for 600yds you for damn sure need pits.

No way to see your holes from the line.

So you've got the huge expense of a protected pit structure plus using the range becomes a 2-man operation (shooter and scorer)

South Jersey would like to add a 600 or 1000yd range to their place.

I'll believe it when I see construction begin.

So you've got the huge expense of a protected pit structure plus using the range becomes a 2-man operation (shooter and scorer)

South Jersey would like to add a 600 or 1000yd range to their place.

I'll believe it when I see construction begin.

This is 100% true. Recently a friend and member of cumberland invited me down there to shoot the 600 yard range. I have a nice Savage in 6.5 creedmoor, but have never shot ay further than HALF that distance before. It was humbling at the very least and equally frustrating since i couldn't see any holes through the rifle scope or spotting scope. I pretty much wasted 50 rounds that day trying to dial it in and attempt to shoot anything resembling a group. I had calculated some rough holdovers but the percentage of error at that distance is pretty high and with no way to verify until you drive down to the target its fairly futile. Then when you make a correction, you pretty much have to go through all this again hoping it got you where you wanted (And not over or under compensated). It would have been nice to be able to start at say 400, then progress beyond but at that range its 600 or nothing which is very annoying. Totally sucks the fun out of shooting!

So you've got the huge expense of a protected pit structure plus using the range becomes a 2-man operation (shooter and scorer)..............

What about cameras located downrange, linked to monitors at the line? Cameras good enough to tell you where you hit are pretty cheap these days. You only need to partially bury them, in a 3-sided mini-pillbox, instead of a huge pit-type structure large enough to house humans. It may even be substantially cheaper then having to dig/build a "pit" safe enough for people. Sure, the occasional camera may be sacrificed to a stray .50BMG, but they are cheap enough to replace. You could do something where members get one free camera/pillbox replacement per year, after that, you shoot it, you buy it.

If they really wanted to get fancy, link all the camera feeds to big screen "spectator" monitors too. It would be great for competitions.

Jon,

Not sure why your member friend was not in the pits while you were on the line to score your shots.

Cell phones (or texting) works at Cumberland for comms between the line and the pits.

If you had a 300yd zero, it's just a matter of elevation to get on paper at 600.

After all, the target board is 6 feet square and your 6.5 Creedmoor is a pretty flat shooter (as are all 6.5 cartridges)

Yes, at 600yds a small sighting error goes a long way.

During Saturday's 3x600 match, my brain's comm with my trigger finger faltered and I had a slightly off-center (2 o'clock) sight picture and was lucky to score a 7 on that shot!

At that distance, you can't hold over. You must adjust your sights so that a consistent proper sight picture gives you a center hit. Judging a holdover is a surefire recipe for failure.

There's one more 600yd prone shoot this season.

Saturday October 5, registration at 0800, first shot at 0900

http://www.cumberlandmatches.com/mrfclass.html

Questions? Post them here or IM me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By The Gun Society
      Guns, Friends, Food.
      It doesn't get better than that. Meet other NJGF members, make new friends, shoot your own guns, try out a couple, and then after join us for food. All rentals are FREE with admission fee.

Register online at www.thegunsociety.com

FULL DETAILS:

Over 60 people came for our very first #NJSocialShoot at RTSP in May. Our inaugural event was a success! 

Join us AGAIN for a casual get together and a chance to shoot some firearms with other like minded people in NJ. 

This time, we will have the entire range after hours for our event only, for 2 hours of shooting in a 25 or 16 yard indoor range. Event will begin promptly at 6pm. If this is your FIRST TIME WITH US, please arrive 30 minutes early to fill out waiver forms required for the range.

Location is about 45 min from NYC and Western PA, at RTSP Shooting Range in Randolph, NJ.

FEES:
      Pre-Registration ONLINE (http://rtsponline.com/new-jersey-social-shoot/): $15
      Day of Event: $20
      This fee will cover port time and firearm rentals, ammunition will be separate.

Join us after 8pm for food and conversation at a nearby restaurant, The Black River Barn, less than a half mile away.

See you there!    

• By bushmaster
      Can someone tell me if Heritage Guild in Easton PA allow you to shoot steel case ammo such as Wolf for your AR or AK?? I know RTSP does not allow it. Why I don't know other then they don't feel like separating the brass from the steel.

Thanks,

Bob
    • By Rifleman1
      I am shopping for a .308 and am considering 3 models. Any insight you guys can give to help the decision making would be welcome.

S&W M&P10 http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_817047_-1_785153_757785_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Remington R-25 http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-r-25/model-r-25-rifle.aspx

FNAR Heavy http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/autoloading-rifles/fnar-heavy/

I am looking for an longer range rifle for the collection that is moderately priced (say $1,000 - 1,600 without scope) and will give the best accuracy out to say 1,000 yards, not too heavy, capacity for 10 or 15 rounds, perhaps capable for suppressor after moving to PA, etc.

Anybody tried or own any of these that can give me some feedback?

• Let's give it to the same team that will be charged with getting all the transgender bathrooms set up and enforce compliance with same. I'm sure they won't take three months to get around to setting it up, or enforcing compliance.
    • http://gunforhire.com/blog/2017/07/23/gun-hire-radio-broadcast-episode-321/
    • I did just that.  It's next to impossible to get individual email addresses however so I sent it to a general address to the Superintendent I found on the main site.  I can only assume it'll work its way down to the proper people.   I want to add that of all that was shown to me it was clear that the reason for my delay was that the barracks I'm forced to work with did not pick up their mail for several weeks.  I had politicians and the Attorney General in on this.  It was when I re-called the Sargent in Trenton that helped me and told him that The Barracks said he was wrong and picked up their mail nightly that he got pissed enough to call them and got it straight for me. I then got it 4 days later.  I'm convinced that no political pressure can motivate any of these people as they are too insulated from consequences to care.  In my case they manged to anger one of their own and in this case one with juice.  I can only imagine what will happen for my next go around after embarrassing and angering the people I did.  We'll see....   For all of the time and expense involved, and in this I includes time lost from work, I think this process should be removed from the individual barrack's hands and be done at a separate station of some sort set up for just this.  NJ is a large state in population but not in square miles.  One could be almost anywhere in circa 90 minutes.  I would be willing to travel to a point where this could be arraigned just to knock it out.  After all we do it for finger prints.  Just a thought.....    
    • Whats unusual to you?  I have an ar in 277 im lookkbg to dump
    •   Just a thought, by asking for the top names you will get the best, but you'll pay three times the price of a very good long lasting AR. Many still want the best, but I don't see myself going to war anytime soon. Troy makes great high quality uppers, they go on sale at DSG for pretty good prices. Put together a lower, you can use a stripped Anderson, a ALG ACT trigger, and a parts kit from midwestpx.com.