leahcim

Plate scanners--again

Seriously? And this is helpful how?

I do my best to check every privacy option I can as well as opt out of them selling my info whenever possible. I'm aware that I can't be totally anonymous but id like to be.

Oh no, I most definitely get it. Do you? Did you read how the APRs are being used in this state. NO PERSONAL INFO IS DISPLAYED OR RECORDED BY THE APR. IT IS LICENSE PLAYE CHARACTERS ONLY.

You are under more surveillance by your cell phone, Internet, TV, iPad, radio, credit card, ATM Machines, Key Fobs, On Star etc... way more often and way more accurately through these means everyday. And the data collected be these methods are being sold to the highest bidder. It is owned by private companies with no responsibility to protect it be abuse you signed on the dotted line to accept this in exchange for the use of their services. Data regarding your life and personal choices in entertainment, shopping, books, vacations etc.. All recorded and sold by private companies in the name of commerce, marketing, and advertisement.. These private company records are all obtainable by court order by the way.

This is all OK but the APR, which may actually do some good, is one step too far?

Hey man. I admittedly am not the biggest fan of the police but you are going too far and getting personal with that post. Don't bash the guy on a personal level. Thats BS.

Handyman is getting a little vacation from the board.........

Let's go back to keeping it civil please......

Me too.... Weird.

I understand that you check the privacy options. That doesn't help with EZ PASS, face book, Cell Phone GPS, On Star, CC purchases, Internet sites visited, etc.... It is impossible to be a modern human and be off the grid.

I suppose you are all for NYPD's stop and risk. Whats the big deal about being questioned for exercising your privilege to operate your legs on the sidewalks?

No actually I am not OK with it. I feel it violates the 4A big time. I was asking a serious sincere question so I know where some of the oppositions to these devices are so I could give some decent info about them.

But, thanks for jumping the gun and assuming I meant it in a negative way. Much appreciated ;)

BTW: I have NO problem with Terry Frisks if done properly with the AS/PC.

No actually I am not OK with it. I feel it violates the 4A big time. I was asking a serious sincere question so I know where some of the oppositions to these devices are so I could give some decent info about them.

But, thanks for jumping the gun and assuming I meant it in a negative way. Much appreciated ;)

Where is that facepalm smilie when I need it.

:facepalm:

Oh, found it!

My bad.

But you are welcome anyways! :p

I disable gps on my phone and don't use ezpass

Credit cards, Amazon, reward cards, Google for Internet searches, there are too many methods to list. I am sure you use some of them... Everything records the choices you make in order to provide companies with superior marketing data.

You get my point though right?

My ....using readily available info in an effort to solve a crime is just being silly and lazy. Maybe you should write a book and inform all agencies across the country how police work is done

That is the point, that type of information should not be "readily available” for any schmuck to peruse on a whim! Just as EZ Pass records seem to be the go-to database for tracking people today, as these LPR databases grow and cameras become increasingly prevalent this information will become a de facto reservoir of tracking data on everyone and their mother. It is all BS and should be curtailed ASAP.

Oh those lazy cops did everything in their power to stop a psych from slaughtering innocent people..silly them...get real

So identifying people on a gun registry, knocking on doors, and rounding up their rifles to perform ballistic tests is OK in your book? And I need to get real? WTF? If you can't see how problematic that is in what is supposed to be a free society you are seriously part of the problem.

So one criminal caught equals millions of peoples rights being violated? No thanks. Spare me the "if it was your kid..." speech

Thank God someone here gets it, the LEO's are great rah-rah crowd was staring to make me wonder.

You are under more surveillance by your cell phone, Internet, TV, iPad, radio, credit card, ATM Machines, Key Fobs, On Star etc... way more often and way more accurately through these means everyday. And the data collected be these methods are being sold to the highest bidder. It is owned by private companies with no responsibility to protect it be abuse you signed on the dotted line to accept this in exchange for the use of their services. Data regarding your life and personal choices in entertainment, shopping, books, vacations etc.. All recorded and sold by private companies in the name of commerce, marketing, and advertisement.. These private company records are all obtainable by court order by the way.

All these forms of data collection by private companies should be prohibited unless the subject person gives explicit consent - and by that I mean, that the companies shouldn't be allowed to bury consent in some agreement either, rather, you would have to approach them to agree to this personal data collection.

As far as the government collection and use of tracking information - a warrant should be necessary. I don't have a big problem with the cops being able to cross check tags with DMV records to ensure the vehicles on the road are legal, but storing a person's location data indefinitely, like CA is doing, shouldn't be allowed. I think ME approach is the best, after a certain amount of days, unless the cops have a warrant on a specific person, this info is purged.

I got newz for alla youze, cops/criminals/tinfoil hatters, etc. It's WAYYYY TOO LATE to start b*tching about this small potatoes as some nefarious plot to keep Civil Service payrolls up, or insist it's 'making a difference' or 'it's my job'. Keep pointing fingers and scrabbling in the dirt with each other, politicians like Christie, Obama and Romney like it that way.

Hey man, you gotta justify that $100K a year and 30+ years of retirement pay and benefits somehow. Someone's gotta pay the bills. Just saying, too many overpaid people with not enough to do and this is what you get. Stopping real crime is real hard work, harassing average people and honest gun owners is much easier and far more lucrative.

Hope you are not referring to normal LEOs with that 100k generalization. Not too many patrol officers I know in NJ making that much but Im sure they wouldn't mind the pay raise.

Speaking of silly/lazy cops, here is another obvious MENSA member with a badge. Is this the type of person you want surfing through your plate scan history in his free time?

NYPD officer fired after ticketing dead people, blames quotas

There are morons in every walk of life, just some wear badges. Not all officers fit into your preconceived notions of them, there are trustworthy and honest ones out there. Its just that the bad ones overshadow the good ones. And before you jump down my throat thinking that "I must be an offer"...WRONG far from it, just playing devils advocate here.

There are morons in every walk of life, just some wear badges. Not all officers fit into your preconceived notions of them, there are trustworthy and honest ones out there. Its just that the bad ones overshadow the good ones. And before you jump down my throat thinking that "I must be an offer"...WRONG far from it, just playing devils advocate here.

Did I say all? The problem is most don't like the bad reputation their less than honorable few friends give the profession but you rarely see them doing anything about these types of issues before they become public. At least this guy was called out by "Colleagues" according to the article which is refreshing for a change. Safeguards are not intended for those who would not abuse such things they are required for the few that would. This is merely pointing out one of the few to which I would be referring.

Credit cards, Amazon, reward cards, Google for Internet searches, there are too many methods to list. I am sure you use some of them... Everything records the choices you make in order to provide companies with superior marketing data.

You get my point though right?

I would rather give my info to a private company than the government. Shows what has happened with trust for our leaders.

I would rather give my info to a private company than the government. Shows what has happened with trust for our leaders.

One of the biggest problems is private companies "legally" collecting this type of data that the government could not without a warrant and willfully cooperating with government to simply hand it over on a whim to gain favor. It all sucks.

I can imagine a kidnapper or something of the likes, which had a reported plate number, being caught because of this tech. To me, THAT outweighs people picking another "constitutional" fight over a privelage. With higher numbers of drivers, a system is needed to keep up. APR's are that answer. When concerned with privacy and the likes, read this: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-fbis-nationwide-facial-recognition-system-2012-9 All of a sudden, automatic plate readers aren't such a big deal; in the scheme of things.
And let's just mount government-accessible GPS tracking devices on every car--just in case of a kidnapping or something. If we can just stop one crime and have a little extra security it would be totaly worth losing the liberty of freedom of movement. Oh and the govt would need a court order or warrant, of course.

And let's just mount government-accessible GPS tracking devices on every car--just in case of a kidnapping or something. If we can just stop one crime and have a little extra security it would be totaly worth losing the liberty of freedom of movement. Oh and the govt would need a court order or warrant, of course.

I never said anything about GPS. A device that can scan, identify, and pull up info on a plate, faster than an officer can, is beneficial to the driving community, and crime as a whole. Everyone needs to take off the tin foil hats for a second, and let that seep in.

Is everyone affraid that officers are punching in every single plate number that passes by them, just because they feel like it? Wouldn't that be on the same level of infringement? I don't recall anyone being up in arms about laptops and the ability for officers to check plate/license info on the fly.

Chill out people. There are MUCH worse things to worry about than this when it comes to big brother keeping tabs. The link I posted earlier is about the FBI installing facial recognition into major metropolitan areas to help idenetify wanted targets. How did that go under the radar so easily, but a simple automatic license plate reader that doesn't even identify the driver, is a HUGE deal.

Because something isn't as bad doesn't make it not bad. Let me ask you this. Why would facial recognition be bad, worse, or a problem, but plate scanners are okay? IMO, both are bad, and neither have benefits that outweigh the disadvantage.

If people being opposed to something that is real and has a real potential for abuse or negative uses are wearing tin foil hats, people who think that they would never be abused or have no negative potential are wearing dunce caps.

The larger issue for plate scanners is the storage of historical data. Just like the 24 hour destruction requirement for NICS checks there should be no legal reason to store this data for future use or at an absolute minimum there needs to be a probable cause requirement for someone to have access to the data to prevent abuse and fishing expeditions.

The larger issue for plate scanners is the storage of historical data. Just like the 24 hour destruction requirement for NICS checks there should be no legal reason to store this data for future use or at an absolute minimum there needs to be a probable cause requirement for someone to have access to the data to prevent abuse and fishing expeditions.

They don't get it. They just see as deep as the plate scanner and thats it. They don't seem to get the other side of it all and the possible misuse. I mean eventual misuse