Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Why do online ammo dealers need to see our FPIDs?

no, they are shipping to a New Jersey Resident. And considering they are sending ammunition into the great "Peoples Republic of New Jersey", need to make sure it is going to a legal firearms card holder.

They don't. That may be their company policy, just to cover themselves but, NJ can't enforce their laws in other states. Most online retailers don't ask for anything.

Exactly this.

NJ state law can't be enforced in any other state but NJ.

no, they are shipping to a New Jersey Resident. And considering they are sending ammunition into the great "Peoples Republic of New Jersey", need to make sure it is going to a legal firearms card holder.

That's what I thought.

Follow-up question: Why doesn't the CMP just say 'F-- You' to NJ's laws? How will NJ know the M1 Garand I had shipped to me is any different from one that I bought at their North Store?

Maybe they run a NICS check before shipping? I have never been to he CMP stores, I don't know of they do NICS when you buy something there or if they are exempt.

That's what I thought.

Follow-up question: Why doesn't the CMP just say 'F-- You' to NJ's laws? How will NJ know the M1 Garand I had shipped to me is any different from one that I bought at their North Store?

They don't. That may be their company policy, just to cover themselves but, NJ can't enforce their laws in other states. Most online retailers don't ask for anything.

Exactly this.

NJ state law can't be enforced in any other state but NJ.

Exactly. This is why it is perfectly legal for an FFL in MD to sell you a rollmarked Colt AR-15 or an M1 Carbine. Because NJ law can't be enforced in other states.

NOT

Even if it is "legal" for an FFL to sell ammo to an NJ resident against the laws of their state, which I am not sure, what do you think NJ is going to do? NJ is very likely to come after them.

If bath salts are legal in my state, do you think NJ won't come after me for shipping them to you in your state? Criminally?

If I don't collect NJ cigarette tax on smokes I sell to you over the internet, you think NJ won't come after me? Don't answer that one, it's in the history books and not up for discussion.

To be fair your first example is a special situation mipafox.

I agree, my first example is covered under federal law, that requires FFLs to follow laws of other states for firearms. I don't know of their requirements for ammo, as I stated. But, with regard to my other examples, it's pretty clear that NJ will come after you criminally or civilly for assisting their subjects in breaking NJ law.

Exactly. This is why it is perfectly legal for an FFL in MD to sell you a rollmarked Colt AR-15 or an M1 Carbine. Because NJ law can't be enforced in other states.

NOT

Even if it is "legal" for an FFL to sell ammo to an NJ resident against the laws of their state, which I am not sure, what do you think NJ is going to do? NJ is very likely to come after them.

If bath salts are legal in my state, do you think NJ won't come after me for shipping them to you in your state? Criminally?

If I don't collect NJ cigarette tax on smokes I sell to you over the internet, you think NJ won't come after me? Don't answer that one, it's in the history books and not up for discussion.

What companies has the state of New Jersey "came after" for selling ammunition to people without first seeing a FPID?

What companies has the state of New Jersey "came after" for selling ammunition to people without first seeing a FPID?

I don't know if they have or not.

Do you think they won't?

I know they have come after people for selling cigarettes to people in NJ. And beer.

Let me repeat myself. Go read what I posted again. People were saying that companies outside of NJ don't have to follow NJ laws in selling to people in NJ.

That is patently false. I'm not saying that means you need an FID to sell ammo to somebody in jersey, I'm saying that is not valid justification to sell anything to people in jersey against jersey law. There is criminal and civil peril.

Do you think they won't?

I know they have come after people for selling cigarettes to people in NJ. And beer.

No, I don't think they would.

The only reason I can think of why they came after people selling cigarettes is because it is generating lost revenue. People buying tobacco mail order or in PA, are "evading" the taxes that they would be paying to NJ, so they have to take a tough stance to keep the money flowing in.

IMO, the libtards make up these crazy gun control laws to bully people into doing what they want. To try and bring suit against every single ammo dealer who sells to NJ would be financially irresponsible and even they understand that would cause them to lose alot of support. Take it a step further what about every company who sells collapsible stocks that aren't pinned from the factory, sells barrels without the break pinned/welded on. Where does the government start prosecuting gun companies?

Do you think they won't?

Did they go after the seller or the purchaser? Last time I paid attention, it was the purchaser.

What I will say is... I am fairly positive that NJ has gone after dealers who shipped ammo to NJ without FID based on their search here. For that reason, we removed a post with a list of firearms retailers who shipped ammo.

One or two recently switched, and it was because NJ AG and State Police contacted them.

What I will say is... I am fairly positive that NJ has gone after dealers who shipped ammo to NJ without FID based on their search here. For that reason, we removed a post with a list of firearms retailers who shipped ammo.

One or two recently switched, and it was because NJ AG and State Police contacted them.

I still see that thread is stickied. Unless there is/was another one.