silverado427

The walking dead

Also, why do they send the only doctor with the 'search and destroy' team?

And I was getting the impression that they'd become much smarter in how they dealt with these zombies. So, wtf did they rush into some confusing, dark, prison/ tunnel system? Why don't they lure them into a choke point? Pick them off efficiently.

Run in there, make a bunch of noise, run out, tire iron through the fence until your arms get too tired to lift. Rinse. Repeat.

Clear the place little by little. Would take longer, but at least you don't have to worry about your people getting eaten...

Because then there would be no show lol. I say the same thing though, and agree. A lot of stupid stuff that creates "drama"

I liked it aside from the recoilless firearms.

It is an annoyance, but mainly because it is a glaring thing that forces me even harder to suspend my disbelief (during a show about zombies...lol)

The fact is that AMC saves an ENORMOUS amount of money on labor, security, and insurance but compositing in muzzle flashes, blood jets and body hits. Unfortunately, there is such a difference between a practical effect and a CGI effect that on rewatch I could probably COUNT the practical effects on two hands. Herschel's leg bite and amputation being a GREAT practical effect. During the yard assault, CGI blood sprays were everywhere but no one got a drop on them during the fight. Then, suddenly, they are all wearing their "bloody clothes".

This is first and foremost a big cost saving measure on effects. It also removes the continuity issue of who got hit where because it gets placed in post.

I'm pretty forgiving of this stuff of such a great show, but it is definitely there.

Also, why do they send the only doctor with the 'search and destroy' team?

And I was getting the impression that they'd become much smarter in how they dealt with these zombies. So, wtf did they rush into some confusing, dark, prison/ tunnel system? Why don't they lure them into a choke point? Pick them off efficiently.

Run in there, make a bunch of noise, run out, tire iron through the fence until your arms get too tired to lift. Rinse. Repeat.

Clear the place little by little. Would take longer, but at least you don't have to worry about your people getting eaten...

I'm going with the answer that as a whole, they are stupid as for why the doctor goes in on a search and destroy mission with a bad plan, and why the plan is so bad. Keep in mind they are talking about being boxed into a large physical region with motor vehicle transport by a few hundred shambling zombies.

The tire iron through the fence thing is probably the most explicable of all their bad decisions. What isn't is why the writers don't take 2 minutes to show you, because it would be a cool scene out in the fenced in area. But look at it this way. Starting with the fence. You lure them over and get with the skull poking. Then you get a pile of bodies. Either you have to change your point of contact and move on to someplace less crowder or you wind up not being able to reach them, or with a pile that lets the zombies climb over the fence. Granted, you do this until you used up the fence line, UNLESS you would do so and leave a significant pile of zombies focused on you as nummy yum-yums. That kind of makes going through a gate hard and zombies in general are much worse as a horde than onesies and twosies in this narrative.

OK, but what about the prison. For how they are treating it, which is a grid like branching structure, you can lure them into a choke point, but how many do you get with going pokey pokey to the skull in the choke point before it is impassible without cleanup? 5-10-15 bodies? So move onto the next choke point. 15 more down. rinse and repeat. THen you are down to one choke point. If you started with 150 zombies lets say, and 6 choke point, you now have to go against a riled up horde in a hallway that is 60 strong. That sucks. Lets say you drive them back because only 40 showed up and there are 20 stragglers. should you move past your choke point and any get behind you, they can cut off your only way back because you reduced the options to a single choke point.

Pull the bait and poke technique from inside a cell? Great, unless you can shove 15 bodies out of the way, good luck spending the rest of your life locked in by zombie corpses wedging the door shut.

Sure, their plan looked like crap, but what is the good way to do battle with zombie hordes in a dark series of hallways you don't know the floorplan for?

I admire the group's marksmanship abilities... Every shot is a head shot.. Even Carl was picking them off without any misses from what appeared to be quite generous distances! Wish I could shoot like that!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I admire the group's marksmanship abilities... Every shot is a head shot.. Even Carl was picking them off without any misses from what appeared to be quite generous distances! Wish I could shoot like that!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Indeed. 100% accurate headshots on a moving target from 30+ yards with a pistol.

A couple friends and I are wondering something: if everyone is already infected, why does a bitten limb need to be cut off? It would have made more sense if a bite was the way the zombie infection was transmitted.

Indeed. 100% accurate headshots on a moving target from 30+ yards with a pistol.

A couple friends and I are wondering something: if everyone is already infected, why does a bitten limb need to be cut off? It would have made more sense if a bite was the way the zombie infection was transmitted.

My theory is that the virus has two stages, active and inactive. Everyone who is alive has an inactive version of the virus laying dormant within them that becomes active once the person has died. Zombies have the active virus within them, which, when transmitted via bite, scratch, or whatever, will kill a living being and reanimate them. Of course, this theory probably has a few loopholes/medical inaccuracies in it, so you could also say that maybe it's magic. :laugh: :laugh:

My wife asked me the same thing. The only thing I could think of was/is if a zombie bites you the zombie "infection" kills you. Then you come back as a zombie since "we all have it" (like the character Jim in season 1). That's the only thing I can think of.

Well... Carol almost shot Rick in the yard, lol. And daryl's bolts should have gone through the guards helmets..

those helmets are impact resistant so that's probably what would have happened

So how did the swat guys die? They didn't show any skin, right? Did they starve to death then turned into zombie?

Aren't there a great many ways to die that don't include bites?

Starvation? Dehydration? Suicide? Freezing to death (this did transpire over the course of a winter. In the comic, the winter was actually pretty rough)? Maybe they WERE bitten in a weak spot....the neck or wrist. fingers bit off through the gloves?

Aren't there a great many ways to die that don't include bites?

Starvation? Dehydration? Suicide? Freezing to death (this did transpire over the course of a winter. In the comic, the winter was actually pretty rough)? Maybe they WERE bitten in a weak spot....the neck or wrist. fingers bit off through the gloves?

True, true..... My friend reads the comic and I always run the episode by him.

My theory is that the virus has two stages, active and inactive. Everyone who is alive has an inactive version of the virus laying dormant within them that becomes active once the person has died. Zombies have the active virus within them, which, when transmitted via bite, scratch, or whatever, will kill a living being and reanimate them. Of course, this theory probably has a few loopholes/medical inaccuracies in it, so you could also say that maybe it's magic. :laugh: :laugh:

Your theory sounds as good as any.

How does that work? We have DISH, so no more AMC stuff. My TV has an Amazon "widget" so I assume I can watch it there. Is it in realtime or not show up on Amazon until sometime after the live show?

sorry i missed this last night. i just checked episode 1 of season 3 is up now on amazon.com. i just watch on my computer its $1.99 an episode or like 28 bucks for the whole season. 2.99 and 44 for HD. not sure how widget works but if it has a search function you should be able to get it through that.

sorry i missed this last night. i just checked episode 1 of season 3 is up now on amazon.com. i just watch on my computer its $1.99 an episode or like 28 bucks for the whole season. 2.99 and 44 for HD. not sure how widget works but if it has a search function you should be able to get it through that.

My DVR didnt record it so I watched it for free on the amc website.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead

-alec

Awesome series! One thing I did notice in the the opening episode is that the guns seem less realistic. If you look at the scene when they are trying to enter the prison is that the revolvers do not turn and the slides do not reciprocate. Did anyone else take notice to this?

Awesome series! One thing I did notice in the the opening episode is that the guns seem less realistic. If you look at the scene when they are trying to enter the prison is that the revolvers do not turn and the slides do not reciprocate. Did anyone else take notice to this?

oh ya

See post #32. :-D

My favorite part is they edited in muzzle blast in post, but got carried away and added in some extra shots when the actors weren't miming shooting.