TheLugNutZ

Corrosion Testing using various oils, greases, and lubes

I found this to be an EXTREMELY informative thread and thought this would help out a lot of people here.

Over 30 different products were tested. It seems like the best results were from Eezox with Tri Flo, PL10, Corrosion X and Weapon Shield CLP coming in right behind. Now some of these are not lubricants, just made for rust prevention. It’s amazing though how downright horrible some of the popular products faired in the testing.

Go to the thread linked above to read more about how he ran the experiment. But to summarize he sprayed the samples with a water/salt mix (to simulate a worse-case scenario) and even left the samples in the rain a few times...

Here is the final picture after about a week. There are several close-up pics in the thread on m4carbine.net.

win3a.jpg

• Like 1

I found out the hard way that Rem-oil sucks. Took out my 870 the other day and found a nice light coat of surface rust on the receiver. Talk about pissed off. Now I need to throw out the damned can and go find some Eezox myself.

Damn it I've been using "Control" and "Balistol" this whole time, I always wondered why all my firearms have these rust look to it.

Just kidding, but I am jumping on this Eezox and corrosion-x band wagon, right NOW!!!

You know that is for real because he is a Browns fan and he has nothing better to do than watch metal grow rust during football season.

wow. i've been using mostly balistol.. but i do use CLP on my beretta for the smaller parts and tetra for the slide. i never did expect tetra to 'protect' though.. just lube. guess its time to rethink things.

Well it at least mirrors my results using breakfree CLP, FP-10, and froglube.

I've been very disappointed in froglube for the price. It's not a good lube, nor is it a good protectant. Might have to try some weaponshield. Lots of folks seem to like that and it seems to protect well. Maybe pick up some eezox for the safe queens.

This is why I use a corrosion inhibitor (Eezox for years now) for guns I don't shoot much. And a lubricant with some corrosion inhibiting properties (Slip EWL) for guns that I use every now and then. These are my "go to's" out of my gun care chemical stash.

They sell Eezox as a "CLP" type of product. The solvents in the carrier base actually do a good job for cleaning, but you are using a fairly expensive product for a menial task. Clean with a more economical solvent, then treat with Eezox. The carrier solvent will dissipate leaving behind an invisible , non-tacky, very thin residual protective coating. I wouldn't count on Eezox's coating to act as a lube, though it is a "dry lube" of sorts. After dry, follow up with a wet lube or grease on high wear areas, and you will be golden.

Lets not forget our gun safes with a proper desiccant pack will no where near experience what this guy did, so a product that performed alright but not great, will be more than sufficient for a cozy place like a gun safe, or a gun that is maintained a few times a year (clean+lube).

Like i said, I currently use Breakfree CLP and apply some Slip2000 EWG to high wear areas. Never had any rust issues at all. I like that the CLP is also a lube, it may not protect as much as the Eezox, but it still does a pretty damn good job. The Eezox doesnt have lube qualities that i like so i may just stick with the CLP. But now that someone mentioned they have an Eezox CLO maybe ill try that when i run out of the one I have now..

Not only that, but the scenario used to test all these products is SOOOOOO over the top, i dont think any of my guns will ever be in such a bad situation to rust like that. Certainly not while in my basement with a giant dehumidifier running all the damn time.

Like i said, I currently use Breakfree CLP and apply some Slip2000 EWG to high wear areas. Never had any rust issues at all. I like that the CLP is also a lube, it may not protect as much as the Eezox, but it still does a pretty damn good job. The Eezox doesnt have lube qualities that i like so i may just stick with the CLP. But now that someone mentioned they have an Eezox CLO maybe ill try that when i run out of the one I have now..

Not only that, but the scenario used to test all these products is SOOOOOO over the top, i dont think any of my guns will ever be in such a bad situation to rust like that. Certainly not while in my basement with a giant dehumidifier running all the damn time.

If your guns are going to come in contact with your sweat, these tests aren't all that far off based on the results for things I am familiar with regarding my competition and high use guns.

The fact that WD40 had one of the best results really makes me question the worth of this "testing."

WD-40 is actually designed to do very well in this type of environment. The WD stands for Water Displacer.

That test definitely has some surprise results in it. Though, I wished he would've tested one wiped with a silicone cloth. I've been using one for a few years now and haven't had any problems with it protecting my guns and am curious how it would've stacked up against the competition.

WD-40 is actually designed to do very well in this type of environment. The WD stands for Water Displacer.

Yes indeed, but the very thin viscosity that makes it good at dispersing water also makes it too easily washed away for ongoing protection. I think this test was neat but there are too many uncontrolled variables to take it very seriously.

Still, I think we have at least 5 cans of WD40 at home in various tool chests and cabinets.

1343469459808069.jpg