bulpup

Here's a new one, for me anyway

My boss, being in a semi-humorous mood, asks me outside the door to a conference room full of secretaries and managers "hey, can you get me some guns? lots of them? really big ones? You can do that right cuz you were in the Army?" And BTW this is in Manhattan over by Penn Station.

He was joking of course, but what the hell? Thinking I might go to HR about it but I am not usually that kind of person.

jeez.

He made the comment directly to you so if you go to HR you will out yourself. I'm not saying it's a problem if you go to HR that you are wrong or a rat or anything of that nature. Personally I would give him a day or maybe two tops. Watch is emotions, attitude, and then go with your gut feeling. You don't want to blow a situation out of proportion over a joke but you need to be able to sleep at night.

was he just busting your balls or trying to take a shot at you?

Busting balls, but I am more concerned about those other people in earshot.

He made the comment directly to you so if you go to HR you will out yourself. I'm not saying it's a problem if you go to HR that you are wrong or a rat or anything of that nature. Personally I would give him a day or maybe two tops. Watch is emotions, attitude, and then go with your gut feeling. You don't want to blow a situation out of proportion over a joke but you need to be able to sleep at night.

I am thinking I should mention to him directly how people can percieve those comments.

The next time there's another meeting, you should walk into it with 3 full duffel bags (of anything but guns) place them on the conference table and say "here are the small ones, can someone give me a hand with the ma deuce".

It is a tough spot that he's put you in. I'm in the TV industry. If a show I'm on features a lot of firearms, I try to clarify things to the best of my ability. But, most people don't give a crap about calibers, actions, ballistics, laws, etc. If I try to set the record straight, I get the impression of eye rolling and "There he goes again" stuff. I have to pick my battles. Keeping my livelihood takes precedence.

It is a tough spot that he's put you in. I'm in the TV industry. If a show I'm on features a lot of firearms, I try to clarify things to the best of my ability. But, most people don't give a crap about calibers, actions, ballistics, laws, etc. If I try to set the record straight, I get the impression of eye rolling and "There he goes again" stuff. I have to pick my battles. Keeping my livelihood takes precedence.

And that is a damn shame- like the "outed" conservatives in hollywood who get blacklisted. If pro-gun people started not hiring people based on their opinions of the 2nd amendment, there'd be court actions and lawsuits up the wahzoo. But it's ok for liberals (and those who like to think of themselves as "moderates", usually just liberals in sheep's clothing) to be INTOLERANT.

This car was keyed by an INTOLERANT LIBERAL

post-5413-0-70590300-1354632033_thumb.jpg

The guys I work with closely ask me about hunting and shooting regularly and I am very happy to talk like a mature adult about anything they like. I even took one shooting and he went right out and got a FPID and owns a M&P now. Years ago I was with a different department within the company and they wished me well when I was deployed, big party and everything so there plenty that have no issue and actively seek me out for discussion. And as you know I work in television too.

It's the blurting out to a room full of people I don't know that don't know me or my boss when people are getting fired that I have issue with. He isn't a gun owner so I don't think he understands the concern.

I had a boss say to a room full of workers, who all are gun owners, that we should take care of a guy on her block who best a cat.

Something along the lines of " he deserves to die. You should all take care of him since you all own guns."

We just laughed it off knowing she was very angry. She lives cats and I think she was partly serious though. Lol

My boss, being in a semi-humorous mood, asks me outside the door to a conference room full of secretaries and managers "hey, can you get me some guns? lots of them? really big ones? You can do that right cuz you were in the Army?" And BTW this is in Manhattan over by Penn Station.

I work in Manhattan, 50 yds from the World Trade Center. People, including rabid anti-gun people, know I own and enjoy guns. They still like me, though. I respond to all anti-gun discussions by inviting the people to come to the range with me to see how much fun it is. They don't usually come, but it is a disarming response that makes the the discussion change directions.

I would have shouted "come to the range with me this weekend and see what kind you like!"

It's the blurting out to a room full of people I don't know that don't know me or my boss when people are getting fired that I have issue with. He isn't a gun owner so I don't think he understands the concern.

The point is, there SHOULDN'T BE any concern over exercising a constitutional right. This country has gone mad. Willful ignorance and naiveté will be it's downfall.

The guys I work with closely ask me about hunting and shooting regularly and I am very happy to talk like a mature adult about anything they like. I even took one shooting and he went right out and got a FPID and owns a M&P now. Years ago I was with a different department within the company and they wished me well when I was deployed, big party and everything so there plenty that have no issue and actively seek me out for discussion. And as you know I work in television too.

I can completely understand your reasoning. I think you need to have a discussion with him. There are all sorts of ways to go about it, but it boils down to this, you are in enemy territory when it comes to gun rights. I'd be tempted to get him alone look at him with a straight face and say "Hey, I heard you were looking to shoot up the office, any truth to that? They say you're looking for some heavy guns, some people in a different department overheard you talking about it"

This worked out pretty well. I was able to talk to some people that don't usually consider owning guns but they're okay with other people having guns. They hadn't realized how much people can be prejudiced against other people that have guns.

I'm putting this one in the win column. : )

I actually kind of turned it around and made it something positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This worked out pretty well. I was able to talk to some people that don't usually consider owning guns but they're okay with other people having guns. They hadn't realized how much people can be prejudiced against other people that have guns.

I'm putting this one in the win column. : )

I actually kind of turned it around and made it something positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you handled the situation admirably. I agree, given the sentiment of most of those around you that I would also have taken action to speak to him.