Sign in to follow this  
BigHayden

Finally, somebody willing to "do something" about guns...

Our new AG has a brilliant, never before tried, but guaranteed to be effective plan to reduce "gun violence" in Camden!

A buy-back!

Should anyone advise this mental midget that these things are illegal under NJ law? Maybe the NJ2AS can reach out to his office and ask them to provide us with the statutes that make this little endeavor legal.

If this event is run by local govt, how is it illegal if it has police oversight?

If this cash for guns happened in the past, doesn't it set a legal precedent?

I think this is actually a good thing. You can't assume these guns (legal or illegal) are in the possession of law abiding citizens.

If this event is run by local govt, how is it illegal if it has police oversight?

If this cash for guns happened in the past, doesn't it set a legal precedent?

I think this is actually a good thing. You can't assume these guns (legal or illegal) are in the possession of law abiding citizens.

Read this. It will answer your questions.

Read this. It will answer your questions.

Very interesting. Thank you. You do realize there are also thousands of arcane, obsolete local, state, & federal laws that are never or rarely enforced on the books. Are you going to challenge every one of them in your interest all the way to the supreme court? Sounds to me they are just doing what is best for their community. It's not like the local govt is rounding up firearms door to door...

Should call an anonymous tip in to swat that a massive illegal gun deal is going on. 100s of guns are being illegally sold. Suspect drugs are too. Give an address and hang up.

Aren't you also commitjng a crime by not asking the buyer for an FPID and to fill out a COE? You should go there and make them fill that out.

Very interesting. Thank you. You do realize there are also thousands of arcane, obsolete local, state, & federal laws that are never or rarely enforced on the books. Are you going to challenge every one of them in your interest all the way to the supreme court? Sounds to me they are just doing what is best for their community. It's not like the local govt is rounding up firearms door to door...

You say that like it's worked somewhere before. Show me where a gun "buy back" has ever reduced crime or even accidents.

You say that like it's worked somewhere before. Show me where a gun "buy back" has ever reduced crime or even accidents.

I said these events were held before. I didn't say the results made any difference in reducing crime. Hence, setting a legal precedent.

Whether these collections work or not, the leaders of these communities have to try.

Guns are not for everyone, you know. You like them. I like them.

I said these events were held before. I didn't say the results made any difference in reducing crime. Hence, setting a legal precedent.

No, prior occurrence does not set legal precedence. Unless it's been challenged in court and upheld, which it hasn't.

I have "tilted" at this particular windmill in the past - as many on here hopefully remember. It is a losing battle. These gun buybacks are held under the auspices of a set of guidelines written by a former Attorney General (Debroah Poritz) and as such everyone seems to think they are legal. I combed through the linked document and found several instances of "fail" where they circumvent the law to suit their purpose. Plus, it would be interesting to be able to monitor one of these buybacks and see just how closely they even follow the guidelines.

When it comes to resurrecting our firearms rights there are many other more productive targets. It irks me that there always seems to be one set of rules those in power and another for the peons (that's us, if you didn't catch the drift).

Here are the guidelines thay are supposed to operate under...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/93896165/Gun-Buy-Back

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think its sad that on the one hand most forum members are against local municipalities adding additional paperwork requirements for fid/ptp because its against state law, yet have no problem with illegal gun buy back programs. Both are clearly illegal according to state law. Personally both crimes disgust me. Hey come dump your evidence anonymously and get rewarded for it. Aside from being illegal from the get, does this not also potentially make them accesories to any crimes that may have been commited with these weapons? They are paying to potentially destroy evidence. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go well for any of us if we attempted to do so. Had I the funds this is a suit I would back against the state. Follow your own laws.

I think its sad that on the one hand most forum members are against local municipalities adding additional paperwork requirements for fid/ptp because its against state law, yet have no problem with illegal gun buy back programs. Both are clearly illegal according to state law. Personally both crimes disgust me. Hey come dump your evidence anonymously and get rewarded for it. Aside from being illegal from the get, does this not also potentially make them accesories to any crimes that may have been commited with these weapons? They are paying to potentially destroy evidence. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't go well for any of us if we attempted to do so. Had I the funds this is a suit I would back against the state. Follow your own laws.

It's no questions asked at these events. Don't you think they would have surveillance recording you as you come up to the table? Are they going to hand you cash or are they going to be able to trace you down from the check you deposited? Are they going to keep & catalog casings before destroying the firearms? Big brother is always watching....

I've been to one in Jersey City, it was all old people and gun people looking to dump 50 dollar handguns and rifles for 100-150 bucks. Easy money

I've been to one in Jersey City, it was all old people and gun people looking to dump 50 dollar handguns and rifles for 100-150 bucks. Easy money

yeah a lot of it is crap anyway. rusted up, badly kept wood stocks, saturday night specials. I'll take cash anyday.

It's no questions asked at these events. Don't you think they would have surveillance recording you as you come up to the table? Are they going to hand you cash or are they going to be able to trace you down from the check you deposited? Are they going to keep & catalog casings before destroying the firearms? Big brother is always watching....

Surveillance would depend on location. You think they will install cameras at a facility that doesnt have just for this event? They dont pay cash, but typically its a gift certificate, at least at the 3 I observed. No comment on casings but the whole anonymous thing... If the AG guidelines are followed then proper paperwork is to be filled out so coe at a minimum. Cant be anonymous and have a coe. Has anyone ever been arrested based on a weapon that was bought back?

If you're going to break the law and have one of these why not do it ina way that helps everyone. Drop the anonymous thing, run a check on the weapons after they are turned in (prosecute people turnin in weapons involved in crime or stolen) and sell the weapons back to people legally allowed to own instead of destroying them. Possibly illegally owned weapons out of the hands of those selling, possibly valuable antiques saved from destruction, happy gun owners getting weapons for fair price and lastly the municipality makes a profit. Seriously if they are paying only 250 for a fully functional "assault rifle" , not that hard to turn a profit on it.

If I can make 3 zip guns out of $30 worth of pipe, pine slats, nails and rubber bands can I net a $120 profit by turning them in at the buyback?

No, it has to be a firearm

Whether these collections work or not, the leaders of these communities have to try.

Purchasing items that people no longer want, be it firearms or furniture, is not a business the government should be involved in. There are plenty of gun shops that buy used guns.

I have "tilted" at this particular windmill in the past - as many on here hopefully remember. It is a losing battle. These gun buybacks are held under the auspices of a set of guidelines written by a former Attorney General (Debroah Poritz) and as such everyone seems to think they are legal. I combed through the linked document and found several instances of "fail" where they circumvent the law to suit their purpose. Plus, it would be interesting to be able to monitor one of these buybacks and see just how closely they even follow the guidelines.

When it comes to resurrecting our firearms rights there are many other more productive targets. It irks me that there always seems to be one set of rules those in power and another for the peons (that's us, if you didn't catch the drift).

Here are the guidelines thay are supposed to operate under...

http://www.scribd.co...65/Gun-Buy-Back

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think this time you should call the AG's guidelines into question. Let's shoot for the Star Ledger this time. LOL.

Sounds to me they are just doing what is best for their community.

Delineate please for us, exactly how many of the guns turned in are owned by criminals.

The problem simply is that this program does not take "illegal guns" (bs, guns are not illegal, the people that own guns improperly are illegal) off the street. It rounds up some long dead husbands gun that's been rattling around in a drawer and the widow wants to get rid of it. It rounds up broken and decrepit firearms. It rounds up rusty hulks that are not worth the cost of the buy back. In some cases, these widows are trading in Colt Pythons for $100 gift cards. Oh yeah, they get crushed buddy. How's that for eliminating history. How about we round up all the medieval swords and crush that shit too?

Right - because even if we lose our history to take just ONE "illegal gun" off the street it's a good day. :rolleyes:

Delineate please for us, exactly how many of the guns turned in are owned by criminals.

The problem simply is that this program does not take "illegal guns" (bs, guns are not illegal, the people that own guns improperly are illegal) off the street. It rounds up some long dead husbands gun that's been rattling around in a drawer and the widow wants to get rid of it. It rounds up broken and decrepit firearms. It rounds up rusty hulks that are not worth the cost of the buy back. In some cases, these widows are trading in Colt Pythons for $100 gift cards. Oh yeah, they get crushed buddy. How's that for eliminating history. How about we round up all the medieval swords and crush that shit too?

Right - because even if we lose our history to take just ONE "illegal gun" off the street it's a good day. :rolleyes:

When guns are funnelled through straw purchases in other states, it's a problem. A 80 old grandma shows up at a gun store in a gun friendly state & wants to buy 100 glocks. Yes, she's entitled but any sane person would see something is most likely not right. Let's not get extreme on both ends of gun ownership. Saving history is not worth anything when people value objects over lives. If a widow wants to get rid of her dead husband's firearm, what right does anyone have to stop her? It's her choice.