GregV

Help AR Optic

A friend of mine just purchased a new AR. I know nothing about what he got. His wife just called me looking for help with an optic for CHRISTmas. Her son told her to get dad the Eotech HHSII. I know he wouldn't be happy she spent that kind of money....................but would love that optic.

My questions are.

What is the difference between the HHSII and the HHSI?

What is the "hot" AR15 optic being used today?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Aimpoint pros can be found at about 350 bucks. They are good optics and dont have issues like the eotechs are known to have. You may also want to look into primary arms. You can save some coin there and from I have heard they are the best bang for your buck

Price range, while she is looking at a $1000 optic, he is frugal..............not cheap. And probably didn't spend but that for the rifle. As for rifle use, range toy, 50, 100 yard. Probably wouldn't be surprised if he used it on his farm to kill critters. My guess is a "tactical" look is important also.

Thanks Guys.................Hate to see her spend $1000, while I wouldn't mind firing it once or twice though.

Check out this review of an eye doctor regarding the Trijicon. He points out various problems and scenarios regarding RDS in general..

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-trijicon-1x38-sealed-reflex-sight-srs-review-57425.html

Lots of recommendations for <$1000.

1) Decent budget optics do exist. Go have a look at PrimaryArms.com. Any of their PA branded optics are actually not shite. I have a their T-1 knockoff and for less than $100 it's a-okay. (I'm not sure how it would survive under torture... but I didn't buy it for that.) I'm even hearing good things about the Vortex StrikeFire... which seems to me like an Aimpoint PRO knockoff. (I don't own one so can't verify that claim.)

2) Aimpoint, CompM4, PRO, T-1/H-1 all under a grand and all awesome optics.

3) Lots of EoTechs out there for less than a grand too

4) My AR sports an ACOG and it's gonna stay that way. You can find TA-01 for about $975 (opticsplanet.com... and if you review a product they give you a 10% off coupon. it's how I got my TA-31H, the 10% made it easier to swallow.)

My $0.01.... A lot of it, unfortunately for you and the rest of us trying to give suggestions, is going to depend on your friend's preference. In my order of preference, for my usage, I prefer ACOG > Aimpoint > EoTech. And I'm guessing if you ask 10 people you'll get all 9 different combinations of that list.

AImpoint micro dot 2moa. Well under $1k, works at 100 yards, easy to use, and if he decides he doesn't like it, he can get most of his money back totry something else. The ACOGs are nice pieces of gear, but if the binden aiming thing doesn't work awesome for you, you wind up with an odd powered single magnification scope that isn't light and often has a weird or severely minimal reticle. They are very well made though and also hold their resale value.