Combat Auto

Timming on Assult Weapon Ban and what it means in NJ

If it's a simple re-instatement of the old AWB, the only effect it would have on NJ is limiting magazines to 10 rounds, since we still follow all the other restrictions of the old AWB here in PRNJ.

If, however, they ADD guns to the banned list, that's a different story all together. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... last time, pre-ban hi-cap mags were grandfathered in, but none of the guns on the banned list were, right? If you had an M1 Carbine (for example), the ban made it illegal, it was not grandfathered in, and if you did not turn the gun in you were now breaking the law?

If that becomes the case, there are an awful lot of ARs and AKs that will be banned, and required to be turned in.

Any idea how plausible this really is? People are freaking out apparently. Only a few ARs at Shoreshot when normally

the whole wall is full of them.

Shotguns are not included in this ban is that correct?

Any idea how plausible this really is? People are freaking out apparently. Only a few ARs at Shoreshot when normally

the whole wall is full of them.

Shotguns are not included in this ban is that correct?

Semi-auto shotguns are absolutely included. You have nothing to worry about it the AWB is the same as the pre-AWB, grandfathered magazines is the only thing we would really need. Things cant get much worse for NJ, well they def. can. But the rest of the country will feel it MUCH more.

The real joke here is that CT has an AWB, so again it's just feel good legislation that addresses something already in place that did absolutely nothing in preventing this act.

The real joke here is that CT has an AWB, so again it's just feel good legislation that addresses something already in place that did absolutely nothing in preventing this act.

Funny, you won't hear about that in any of the news reports though...

Who would buy a firearm that is going to be illegal?

Plenty of people, because they weren't illegal. It was just illegal to sell new "Assault Weapons" to civilians If you read the book "Glock: Rise of American's Gun," Glock was pumping out standard capacity magazines as fast as they could so they could dump them on the market. It was still perfectly legal to sell used standard capacity magazines to someone else or buy them. Civilians just couldn't own new magazines.

The funny thing is that the AWB sewed the seeds for carry. Why buy a full-sized gun when you can only put 10 cartridges in it? So gun companies started making smaller guns which were... hey... pretty handy to carry.

The gun companies will always find out a way to make money. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kel Tec KSG drives California absolutely ape.

Why buy a gun that -MIGHT- be illegal, that's why.

Who knows if a new AWB would grandfather in the previously-owned weapons. It didn't last time, at least in NJ, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Why buy a gun that -MIGHT- be illegal, that's why.

Who knows if a new AWB would grandfather in the previously-owned weapons. It didn't last time, at least in NJ, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly. it didnt work last time and you can bet ur a** they will try and remove the grandfather clause. Time will tell but, either a) you get grandfathered in and you have no reason to sell a firearm that will now be a serious investment, or b) scrap metal

By the time we know whats going to happen you wont be able to sell off non-grandfathered firearms or buy them if they are grandfathered... the risk is now.

Folks, I'd be interesting in getting your opinions...

Assume worst case and Sen Fienstiens assault weopan band on (new) guns  is approved...

That's not even remotely the worst case. That's far better than the best case you could expect. Her plan has 9 distinct layers of dust on it with some of her pubes and a few crotch crickets embedded in it like amber. You could cut it with a saw and date it from the rings like a tree.

If anything happens, there is no chance it will be as friendly as her plan.

Who would buy a firearm that is going to be illegal?

People who plan to encase it in PVC and bury it in a deep, dark hole.

People who plan on having it grandfathered in.

Or, people who simply aren't thinking things through.

Either way, AWB Federally will have no effect on NJ. Possibly lowering mag limits to 10 rounds, which isn't a big deal because we're the only state with a 15-cap and 15-rd mags for a lot of guns, especially rifles, are a bit of an oddball anyway unless you're buying special ones.

They could add guns to the list, which would suck, but that's about it. Federal law would likely grandfather stuff in anyway.

Yes but there's nothing stopping NJ to see the AWB and say they are better than that... and tack a few more FU's onto the fed ban.

At this this point, anything could happen, and nothing would surprise me.

Either way, AWB Federally will have no effect on NJ. Possibly lowering mag limits to 10 rounds, which isn't a big deal because we're the only state with a 15-cap and 15-rd mags for a lot of guns, especially rifles, are a bit of an oddball anyway unless you're buying special ones.

They could add guns to the list, which would suck, but that's about it. Federal law would likely grandfather stuff in anyway.

Do people bother to read the thread in any order? I'll give you the boating accident claim, but the rest has been covered.

Apparently we have a lot of young guys on this forum. Those of us who lived through the last one are thinking it out and will make a lot of money from the new ban and have the kinds of weapons that you can no longer buy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban#Provisions_of_the_ban

During the last ban guns and magazines already owned were exempt and they became very valuable and commanded a lot of money if sold. I paid $100 for Glock hicap mags and more for 20 and 30 round AR mags. They have to grandfather existing weapons or they will make millions of people into instant criminals. Some people have hundreds of thousands invested in gun collections and you just do not take that away from them without compensation. My guess is that they will do as before but this time do not leave the large loopholes that existed in the last ban which focused on cosmetics due to the politicians not knowing much about guns.

There is a fly in the ointment as guns are a 1.5 billion dollar business if you count the manufactrers, importers, gunsmiths, gun stores, ranges, instructors, holster and accessory manufacturers, etc.. Any legislation that puts a big dent into that will have financial repricussions for the national economy. I think that they will end up focusing on reduced ammo capacity and perhaps require fixed magazines so that you cannot change a magazine and be back in business. Much like the California law which are easily overcome with some clever devices. We will see a ban on magazines over 10 rounds and no more rifles which the public perceives as "assault" weapons to be sold to civilians. Quite frankly it will be a hard sell to defend the AR and AK for hunting purposes as there is no good argument for them. A rifle with a built in 5 or 10 round mag is more than sufficient for hunting and our preferences will not matter.

I learned from the last AWB what to do. I have stockpiled hicap magazines and this weekend bought 3 new firearms that they will likely ban. I do not need them but they will prove to be a good investment. I know guys in NJ who made substantial amounts of money by buying up as many hicap mags as they could before the last ban and then selling them. What is the risk? I do not see anyone making already owned ones illegal so the risk is that you get stuck with a nice supply of guns and high cap magazines that othes will envy and that will last you a lifetime. :)

Apparently we have a lot of young guys on this forum. Those of us who lived through the last one are thinking it out and will make a lot of money from the new ban and have the kinds of weapons that you can no longer buy.

http://en.wikipedia....ions_of_the_ban

During the last ban guns and magazines already owned were exempt and they became very valuable and commanded a lot of money if sold. I paid $100 for Glock hicap mags and more for 20 and 30 round AR mags. They have to grandfather existing weapons or they will make millions of people into instant criminals. Some people have hundreds of thousands invested in gun collections and you just do not take that away from them without compensation. My guess is that they will do as before but this time do not leave the large loopholes that existed in the last ban which focused on cosmetics due to the politicians not knowing much about guns.

There is a fly in the ointment as guns are a 1.5 billion dollar business if you count the manufactrers, importers, gunsmiths, gun stores, ranges, instructors, holster and accessory manufacturers, etc.. Any legislation that puts a big dent into that will have financial repricussions for the national economy. I think that they will end up focusing on reduced ammo capacity and perhaps require fixed magazines so that you cannot change a magazine and be back in business. Much like the California law which are easily overcome with some clever devices. We will see a ban on magazines over 10 rounds and no more rifles which the public perceives as "assault" weapons to be sold to civilians. Quite frankly it will be a hard sell to defend the AR and AK for hunting purposes as there is no good argument for them. A rifle with a built in 5 or 10 round mag is more than sufficient for hunting and our preferences will not matter.

I learned from the last AWB what to do. I have stockpiled hicap magazines and this weekend bought 3 new firearms that they will likely ban. I do not need them but they will prove to be a good investment. I know guys in NJ who made substantial amounts of money by buying up as many hicap mags as they could before the last ban and then selling them. What is the risk? I do not see anyone making already owned ones illegal so the risk is that you get stuck with a nice supply of guns and high cap magazines that othes will envy and that will last you a lifetime. :)

i don't plan on risking going to jail. lol. i cant buy mags over 15rnds, and i cant buy anything that will presumably be banned through an AWB. Unless you really think the AR platform will be banned, which is nearly impossible to list it by name.. I'm not sure how it worked years ago but NJ has had an AWB well before the Federal AWB,

I wouldn't invest to much into "Hi cap" mags for reselling purposes if I were you. The manufacturers saw the last ban coming and cranked out mags nonstop until the minute the ban went into effect. In the 10 years that law was in effect, the supply of "Hi Cap" AR and AK mags, as well as many others, never dried up. The only mags that were really valuable were some of the ones for less common guns that were never made in large quantities. The amount of standard cap mags out there now is a lot greater than last time, and passing a ban is no slam dunk for the gungrabbers, which would also have to be ruled constitutional by SCOTUS when the inevitable challenge comes - another likely place for a ban to hit a dead end.

Paranoia is really settling in.

I stand on the Constitution! 1st amendment is Fredom of Speech, we are all excersizing that here. the SECOND amendment is right to bear arms. If the antigun zealots try to abolish this one I wonder what RIGHT they will go after next???

After watching Current TV I think they may have a market in Mexico? :vinsent:

If structured like the 94 ban, no. They would have to be documented as assembled into an assault weapon prior to the effective date of the ban.

Per ban uppers could be purchased, but if assembled onto anything not a rifle prior to the effective date, it was breaking the law.

Assault weapon ban like before (national) would be good for nj gun buyers as national standards would make it much easier for us to find models that comply with nj laws. No Im not saying ban is good, just the reality would be good for us as buyers. The real problem with picking the "evil" gun is next year its pistols, then shotguns, then knives, just check out England. In a confined space the shotgun is the most destructive weapon, in my opinion, anyone out there got one of those?