DirtyDigz

Oregon Sheriff sends "Oathkeeper" letter to VP Biden

http://market-ticker...glepost=3111590

One Sheriff will go on the record in writing. A few others, including at least one in Kentucky, have been captured on video. But this is the first letter I've seen published to Obama / Biden on the question of The Constitution and whether a given Sheriff will take a stand and say "NO". ...

The letter (any typos are likely mine, I transcribed from the image):

From the desk of

Sheriff Tim Mueller

Linn County, Oregon

1115 SE Jackson St

Albany, Oregon 97322

Phone:

www.linnsheriff.org

January 14, 2013

Vice President Joe Biden

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20501

Dear Mr. Vice President,

I am Sheriff Tim Mueller, elected twice by the citizens of Linn County Oregon who have entrusted me with a noble cause: to keep them and their families safe. My deputies and I take that responsibility very seriously and, like you, have sworn to support the Constitution of the United States. I take that oath equally as serious as protecting our citizens. I have worked for the people of Linn County for over 28 years as a member of the Linn County Sheriff's Office as well as serving three years active duty as a Military Police Officer in the US Army, where I also swore a similar oath.

In the wake of the recent criminal events, politicians are attempting to exploit the deaths of innocent victims by advocating for laws that would prevent honest, law abiding Americans from possessing certain firearms and ammunition magazines. We are Americans. We must not allow, nor shall we tolerate, the actions of criminals, no matter how heinous the crimes, to prompt politicians to enact laws that will infringe upon the liberties of responsible citizens who have broken no laws.

Any federal regulation enacted by Congress or by executive order of the President offending the constitutional rights of my citizens shall not be enforced by me or by my deputies, nor will I permit the enforcement of any unconstitutional regulations or orders by federal officers within the borders of Linn County Oregon.

In Summary, it is the position of this Sheriff that I refuse to participate, or stand idly by, while my citizens are turned into criminals due to the unconstitutional actions of misguided politicians.

Respectfully,

[signature]

Sheriff Tim Mueller

Linn County Oregon

Letter image below:

post-1401-0-31754600-1358342034_thumb.jpg

We need to track all this mentality and develop a list from them for places to live. I can't see NJ Sheriff's or any others taking stand this way.

http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

Recently posted to Facebook by a NYS friend who is in full out panic mode.

"Freedom" is quite the subjective term. Some states ban carry, others don't even require a permit. Some states will put you in prison for smoking a joint, others let you buy it in a store and tax it. Some states let you own a machine gun but have criminal penalties for being gay. Some states have laws prohibiting those who are not religious from holding public office.

Everyone has a different idea of freedom, it's almost Orwellian to try and compare who is more free and foolish to try and quantify it in a list.

Now me personally, I like ALL the freedoms, but I don't hold political office. Lol

I should also add, Oklahoma lets people own machine guns but tattoo parlors were illegal until a few years ago. Not to mention all the states with dry counties, or Kansas which did not even allow bars until 20 years Ago!

So just keep in mind there's a lot more to freedom than owning a gun

We must not allow, nor shall we tolerate, the actions of criminals, no matter how heinous the crimes, to prompt politicians to enact laws that will infringe upon the liberties of responsible citizens who have broken no laws.

So I guess the TSA isn't in any airport in Linn County?

i dont agree with alaska being the 44th most free state

Did you read the summary.

With regards to personal freedom, Alaska is rated #5 most free.

The low economic freedom rating is based upon fiscal policy, the percentage of the population that is government employees, and Alaska has the highest debt and government spending to personal income ratios in the country.

Not suggesting it isn't valid to disagree. just saying.

"Sheriffs, state lawmakers push back on gun control"

http://news.yahoo.co...-100605550.html

GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) — From Oregon to Mississippi, President Barack Obama's proposed ban on new assault weapons and large-capacity magazines struck a nerve among rural lawmen and lawmakers, many of whom vowed to ignore any restrictions — and even try to stop federal officials from enforcing gun policy in their jurisdictions.

"A lot of sheriffs are now standing up and saying, 'Follow the Constitution,'" said Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson, whose territory covers the timbered mountains of southwestern Oregon.

But their actual powers to defy federal law are limited. And much of the impassioned rhetoric amounts to political posturing until — and if — Congress acts.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Democrat, said Wednesday it's unlikely an assault weapons ban would actually pass the House of Representatives. Absent action by Congress, all that remains are 23 executive orders Obama announced that apply only to the federal government, not local or state law enforcement.

Gun advocates have seen Obama as an enemy despite his expression of support for the interpretation of the Second Amendment as a personal right to have guns. So his call for new measures — including background checks for all gun buyers and Senate confirmation of a director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives — triggered new vows of defiance.

In Mississippi, Gov. Phil Bryant, a Republican, urged the Legislature to make it illegal to enforce any executive order by the president that violates the Constitution.

"If someone kicks open my door and they're entering my home, I'd like as many bullets as I could to protect my children, and if I only have three, then the ability for me to protect my family is greatly diminished," Bryant said. "And what we're doing now is saying, 'We're standing against the federal government taking away our civil liberties.'"

Tennessee Republican state Rep. Joe Carr wants to make it a state crime for federal agents to enforce any ban on firearms or ammunition. Carr instead called for more armed guards at schools.

"We're tired of political antics, cheap props of using children as bait to gin up emotional attachment for an issue that quite honestly doesn't solve the problem," Carr said.

Legislative proposals to pre-empt new federal gun restrictions also have arisen in Wyoming, Utah and Alaska.

A Wyoming bill specifies that any federal limitation on guns would be unenforceable. It also would make it a state felony for federal agents to try to enforce restrictions.

"I think there are a lot of people who would want to take all of our guns if they could," said co-sponsor Rep. Kendell Kroeker, a Republican. "And they're only restrained by the opposition of the people, and other lawmakers who are concerned about our rights."

Republican state Sen. Larry Hicks credited Wyoming's high rate of gun ownership for a low rate of gun violence. "Our kids grow up around firearms, and they also grow up hunting, and they know what the consequences are of taking a life," Hicks said. "We're not insulated from the real world in Wyoming."

In Utah, some Republicans are preparing legislation to exempt the state from federal gun laws — and fine any federal agents who try to seize guns. A bill in the Alaska House would make it a misdemeanor for a federal agent to enforce new restrictions on gun ownership.

While such proposals are eye-catching, they likely could never be implemented.

"The legislature can pass anything it wants," said Sam Kamin, a constitutional law professor at the University of Denver. "The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution makes that clearly unconstitutional. Where there's a conflict between state and federal law, the federal government is supreme."

Kamin and other legal experts said such disdain of Obama's proposals is reminiscent of former Confederate states' refusal to comply with federal law extending equal rights for blacks after the Civil War.

The National Sheriff's Association has supported administration efforts to combat gun violence after the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings. President Larry Amerson, sheriff of Calhoun, Ala., said he understands the frustrations of people in rural areas with the federal government. But he feels his oath of office binds him to uphold all laws. "Any sheriff who knows his duty knows we don't enforce federal law, per se," said Amerson, a longtime firearms instructor and hunter.

Some rural sheriffs view the federal government as an adversary, with gun ownership at the core of that belief.

In Minnesota, Pine County Sheriff Robin Cole sent an open letter to residents saying he did not believe the federal government had the right to tell the states how to regulate firearms. He said he would refuse to enforce any federal mandate he felt violated constitutional rights.

The Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association, based in Fredericksburg, Texas, encourages that point of view. Founder Richard Mack, a former sheriff of Apache County, Ariz., speaks regularly at gatherings of Tea Party groups and gun rights organizations.

"I will tell Mr. Obama and everybody else who wants to impose gun control in America, that whether you like it or not, it is against the law," said Mack. "Now we have good sheriffs who are standing up and defending the law against our own president."

___

Associated Press writers Nicholas Riccardi in Denver, Ben Neary in Cheyenne, Wyo., Erik Schelzig in Nashville, Tenn., John O'Connor in Springfield, Ill., Amy Forliti in Minneapolis and Emily Wagster Pettus in Jackson, Miss., contributed to this report.

Interesting, but was more or less speaking in terms of gun laws and any new outlook in light of what recently happened and such. Doesn't seem those stats depict anything about guns... It use to be fairly free gun wise. I'm hoping they stay that way.

http://mercatus.org/...-50-states-2011

http://mercatus.org/...-50-states-2011

I love that site. I always check it out and "dream" of whichfree state I'll be living in.

i dont agree with alaska being the 44th most free state

A llot of it has to do with economic freedoms and government spending. According to Mercatus, Alaska employs 25% of it's citizens. However, I believe that number may be off, as I'm sure plenty of people "live off the grid" in Alaska.