Dr.Jimmy Rustler

Dealing with Anti gunners on facebook that deny facts

Well, not only do they usually ignore facts, but they often unintentionally prove points for you. Just keep annoying them with facts.

I have been asking them to point to a single gun law that has been effective on reducing crime. The replies are usually amusing, as not only are they unable to show a law that has an effect on crime, they can't even come up with a law to begin with!

for those of you who don't have facebook please post your age.

for those of us who are younger, (20) its unheard of to not have facebook

35 years old.

Be the leader of all 20 and under people and delete your account and read a book.

I'm in my 30's.

I will say that it is also unheard of for someone like yourself to have a Doctorate at the age of 20. Except for Doogie Howser of course, but he's going on 40 these days.

I just don't see the appeal of Facebook. Do people really give a rats ass that you broke up with so and so or that you're slurping the yummiest soda, EVER!

The appeal is that seemingly everyone uses it, and it is largely used as a form of communication, even more so then texting and calling. I deleted my account for about 4 months earlier this year. Did I miss that stupid crap? Not in the least. I was however out of the loop of a number of things because of it. I work with most of the people I hang out with. There is a ton of traveling involved, so people could be on any continent on any given day. It is hard to keep up with where people are at if I'm not on facebook, and easy to tell if I am. And due to the infrequency that people are around at the same time, nearly impossible to make plans otherwise.

The kicker is, as stupid it is and anti-social people become because of facebook, I became even more anti-social without it...

I'll shamelessly share a topic I posted earlier along the same lines.

I'd first start by trying to have a conversation, not an argument or debate. Going in hot is a surefire way to just have them dismiss what you're saying based only on your attitude alone, not your content. Try to be understanding of their perspective and let them know you understand what they're saying.

Then try to organize what points you're making by how palatable they are. Starting your conversation by talking about the violent overthrow of tyrants is a bad way to start. Instead try to start from a common point, like the desire to reduce violence. Work from there and explain your thought process with hints of data here and there.

I just don't see the appeal of Facebook. Do people really give a rats ass that you broke up with so and so or that you're slurping the yummiest soda, EVER!

If that is all you experienced via facebook i reckon its the company you keep. 50 % of the bs is worth the other genuine 50% of interaction with friends,coworkers and family i would otherwise have a hard time keeping touch on a regular basis. Your mileage may vary.

Young and dumb. I remember it well :)

gotta learn somewhere...

35 years old.

Be the leader of all 20 and under people and delete your account and read a book.

leading my generation on such a thing is hopeless.

I'm in my 30's.

I will say that it is also unheard of for someone like yourself to have a Doctorate at the age of 20. Except for Doogie Howser of course, but he's going on 40 these days.

hugh myron?

I'll shamelessly share a topic I posted earlier along the same lines.

I'd first start by trying to have a conversation, not an argument or debate. Going in hot is a surefire way to just have them dismiss what you're saying based only on your attitude alone, not your content. Try to be understanding of their perspective and let them know you understand what they're saying.

Then try to organize what points you're making by how palatable they are. Starting your conversation by talking about the violent overthrow of tyrants is a bad way to start. Instead try to start from a common point, like the desire to reduce violence. Work from there and explain your thought process with hints of data here and there.

I've attempted to multiple times, didn't seem to work any better then just flat out posting stats

Facebook is Gay

qft

35 years old.

We have these things called "nooks" they hold hundreds of these "books" in what you would call a small computer. :rofl:

More serious note, I will occassionaly post postive 2A writeups and factual statistics to make them feel dumb.

We have these things called "nooks" they hold hundreds of these "books" in what you would call a small computer. :rofl:

More serious note, I will occassionaly post postive 2A writeups and factual statistics to make them feel dumb.

Yeah Im a kindle guy, nooks suck. ;)

I've attempted to multiple times, didn't seem to work any better then just flat out posting stats

I think there's a false notion that a person changes their mind in one conversation, and it's simply not the case. If you can successfully plant the seed of doubt and let it grow, you're well on the way to changing someone's mind.

To be honest I see beliefs that pass for facts on both sides of the coin. We seem to live in a time where belief is fact. If you want to have fun someday, just ask people you know, pro or anti gun, what the population of the United States is, how many people are killed by a gun each year, how many children are killed in swiming pools, how many die in car accidents and how many die due to medical malpractice. You may laugh at the numbers you hear. If you really want to have fun, ask someone to point Belgium on a world map. Choosing Montana usually works too. :)

Changing someone's mind is like trying to change their religion. I have family members who insist that dinosaurs are a fraud, the earth is only a few thousand years old, carbon dating is rubbish, etc.. No amount of my facts will change their beliefs. I do not even try anymore.

I'm 24 and I have never made a myspace when that was the cool thing and I refuse to ever make a facebook. They are completely retarded. If anyone wants to know anything about me they can ask me. I refuse to advertise anything for anyone. And I don't give a shit about the crap people feel the need to post either, if I want to know something I will ask it.

Yeah Im a kindle guy, nooks suck. ;)

While they were virtually the same thing I sided with Kindle because the Amazon store was better, hell I can write a book myself and sell it through them and it will be available on the Kindle. But then nook came out with the backlight and Kindle became inferior. Especially because the stores are irrelevant, I get my ebooks from mIRC anyway.

As for arguing with idiots over gun control it is pointless. If the Constitution of the United States isn't enough of a reason that these idiots can not interfere with our lives (and clearly is isn't, there are countless excuses out there that they come up with to try to discredit our very own Constitution, very depressing to be honest) then why should facts and common sense do the job? They are just prejudice against gun owners and all the facts in the world clearly disproving their illusions will never stop them from hating.