RUTGERS95

high prices in wts section

I think some get too offened too easily.

I don't worry about what someone else is charging. If I'm a buyer, then I make an offer. If I'm not, I don't.

I also don't worry about the people who come here with the intent of "gouging" the community. Ignore them, and if you did to, they will be shunned and unable to pollute the community, if this is what you are worried about.

Think about it for a second. It takes two people to make a deal. If someone comes here trys to "gouge" and I ignore him but YOU buy his product, then who's hands are dirty? Huh?

I have no issue with supply and demand. I do take issue with people that "join" our community for the sole purpose of selling things in the marketplace. I have no issue with someone that is an active member of the community selling items at market value. If Vlad decided to sell his $450 Saiga for $1500, I'd have no issues with that. How many hours has he put in writing guides and giving people advice relating to converting Saigas?

Again it's not people that contribute that are the taking advantage of our community. It's the ones that pop up to make a profit and will disappear when they're done flipping merchandise.

Not sure I understand that logic. Basically you describe a scenario where more people come into the marketplace and increase the supply which helps satisfy demand for products and there is an issue with that? I say the more the better, that's how markets work and eventually when there is enough supply back in the market prices adjust.

There are two sides to the transaction, seller collects cash and buyer collects product. Sounds like a win win to me.

I'm more interested in how the hell you afford all these guns. Lol

A day of Overtime works wonders man. After all look at all the times that Joe can't come and shoot all of them guns, ya know, he BLF's them. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posts like these make me want to sell my rare yet highly sought after firearms at above current market rates. Mainly just to piss off the OP. If you don't like the price someone offers you, then walk the fugg away. Not everyone has the same mindset or amount of money you do.

Fun story: at the Allentown gun show this weekend, I was spitballing selling one of my WASR-10s with some guy from NJ, he was willing to drop a lot of dough just to get one in 'NJ-legal' config. Prices are what prices are.

As for doing the good deed, the day BEFORE the Sandy Hook shooting, I agreed to sell an complete BCM AR-15 I had to a friend at market rates. Rifle cost me like $1100 to build. But I sold it at the price I agreed to (which was quite a bit less) even though I could've canceled on him. This was when these rifles (of lesser quality IMO) were flying off the shelves here in the state.

Not sure I understand that logic. Basically you describe a scenario where more people come into the marketplace and increase the supply which helps satisfy demand for products and there is an issue with that? I say the more the better, that's how markets work and eventually when there is enough supply back in the market prices adjust.

There are two sides to the transaction, seller collects cash and buyer collects product. Sounds like a win win to me.

Vendors pay a much higher amount to sell on the forum. These people appear with the intention of only offloading merchandise. This is a community of shooters, not craigslist or Gunbroker.

Posts like these make me want to sell my rare yet highly sought after firearms at above current market rates. Mainly just to piss off the OP. If you don't like the price someone offers you, then walk the fugg away. Not everyone has the same mindset or amount of money you do.

Fun story: at the Allentown gun show this weekend, I was spitballing selling one of my WASR-10s with some guy from NJ, he was willing to drop a lot of dough just to get one in 'NJ-legal' config. Prices are what prices are.

As for doing the good deed, the day BEFORE the Sandy Hook shooting, I agreed to sell an complete BCM AR-15 I had to a friend at market rates. Rifle cost me like $1100 to build. But I sold it at the price I agreed to (which was quite a bit less) even though I could've canceled on him. This was when these rifles (of lesser quality IMO) were flying off the shelves here in the state.

you are not pi$$ing me off, gouging people says more about the gouger than the other guy. I am loaded as I've stocked up for a long time so I'm in no need to buy at inflated prices. I am certainly not against profit, I'm against the instant greed and taking advantage of people's fears and ignorance. I'm not sure what is more pathetic, gouging or being gullible and stupid enough to pay the high price.

What some people miss is that people hide behind, 'it's the market, supply and demand' etc. The reality is that people are simply greedy and have no shame in the almighty dollar. I love when people want to charge ridiculous prices for things and then want to buy at pre panic prices.

all I say is be reasonable. We have a hard enough time dealing with the politics in this state without fellow gun owners feeding into the panic and bs that follows. Now we get people registering just long enough to sell $450 uppers for $1400. Surely some can see the lunacy in this

Karma people....Karma

you are not pi$$ing me off, gouging people says more about the gouger than the other guy. I am loaded as I've stocked up for a long time so I'm in no need to buy at inflated prices. I am certainly not against profit, I'm against the instant greed and taking advantage of people's fears and ignorance. I'm not sure what is more pathetic, gouging or being gullible and stupid enough to pay the high price.

What some people miss is that people hide behind, 'it's the market, supply and demand' etc. The reality is that people are simply greedy and have no shame in the almighty dollar. I love when people want to charge ridiculous prices for things and then want to buy at pre panic prices.

all I say is be reasonable. We have a hard enough time dealing with the politics in this state without fellow gun owners feeding into the panic and bs that follows. Now we get people registering just long enough to sell $450 uppers for $1400. Surely some can see the lunacy in this

Karma people....Karma

Look, no one is putting a gun to someone's head and forcing them to pay these prices. It's also not something they need to have. So to call it gouging is unfair.

As for being reasonable: for who? The other guy or yourself? If someone wants an AK badly enough that they'll drop $2100 on it, so be it. Some people have deep pockets and don't care. My issue with you is that your being annoying and unreasonable to other folks here.

The WTS/WTT section is not a charity, it's not freecycle, etc. It's a marketplace. Things go for what they're worth, or they don't. You're only crying about it because prices shocked, but fundamentally, this makes no difference.

If someone wants to register just to sell a $450 upper and nets $1400 for it, so be it. Someone obviously had the money sitting around to buy it, and I have no problem with that.

This is like the crazy housewives who grab 50 frozen dinners & clean out the supermarket cause she's hogged up 50 coupons from some store's thrown out newspapers.

Why do supermarkets have LIMITS sometimes on how many you can buy?

Because crazy housewives buy up the market & leave the rest of us with NOTHING

...like guns....we got nothing to buy

everyone loves freedom... they love the freedom to say what they want... think what they want... but yet when someone sets a high price on something they own, people get all mad...

"I don't feel your item is worth that.. and I am mad that you would ask that much" "because we are all a member of a NJ gun forum, you are almost obligated to make a better price"

think about it.. and let it sit for a minute.... hopefully you will see both the hypocrisy, and absurdity.. an individual doesn't owe you anything... they should ask what they want... and IMO they are a fool to take a penny less than the item could bring...

Take an AR15 lower for example... there are NONE.. literally 0 in stock anywhere (in enough abundance to matter)... if someone offers you one for $300 they are doing you a favor, by providing you access to something extremely difficult to come across.....

This is like the crazy housewives who grab 50 frozen dinners & clean out the supermarket cause she's hogged up 50 coupons from some store's thrown out newspapers.

Why do supermarkets have LIMITS sometimes on how many you can buy?

Because crazy housewives buy up the market & leave the rest of us with NOTHING

...like guns....we got nothing to buy

you can't wait till the government says "we might make this so you can never get it again" and then just expect to walk into the store and get one... we all know the administration is not in favor of guns.. if you don't have an AR lower at this point.. then you waited too long... and I get not everyone has money...

but I will say this..

every single gun owner had the money to buy a $100 lower before the panic.. they chose not to.. $100 and you would have had the serialized portion of the gun and been good to go.. people selling high are not accountable for the choices others made in waiting..

Although his website says he is out-of-stock, Pauly is selling his lowers and uppers on Gunbroker for $150+ over what he advertised on his website. Would he be gouging if he sold here and not on GB? He is just like anybody running a busineess, trying to get as much for his wares as he can.

Rutgers95, what do you have to sell? Got any S&W revolvers. I'll pay you $200 for any of them just to take them off your hands and you can give a fellow member a huge discount! I only have one PPP left right now, but I can go apply for more..........

What some people miss is that people hide behind, 'it's the market, supply and demand' etc. The reality is that people are simply greedy and have no shame in the almighty dollar.

I question the depth of your understanding on supply and demand.

001_supply_and_demand_chart.jpg

Do you see how the quantiy of a good supplied increases as the price increases?

Higher prices:

1) Give existing sellers in the market more incentive to accept the additional costs associated with increasing the amount of goods they supply. In an abrupt scarcity scenario, this includes the costs associated with trying to increase supply ASAP. Rush overnight shipping, expanding production and adding extra shifts, etc.

2) Draw additional entrants to the market, that would otherwise not choose to sell the goods at all. Picture someone that already owned two or more AR 15s before the panic. Given uncertainty of the future, they'd probably just as soon sit on all their rifles and be glad to have them. But...if it got to the point that the rifles weren't going for a dollar less than three times what they paid for the rifle, they'll probably give some serious thought to living with just owning a single rifle and selling the spare(s).

You can complain all you want when somebody is selling a basic AR for $2,000, but that price tag is the only reason the rifle is even there for you to choose not to buy in the first place. If the rifle was marked for $1,000, it would of been long gone before you even got your eyes on it. If prices aren't allowed to rise when demand surges, the net result is even more people are left unable to get the item.

Below is a graph demonstrating the effect of a government imposed cap on fuel prices after a severe storm, but the principals are the same:

Gouging_Demand_Supply1.jpg

By limiting the price, quantity ultimately supplied to the market experiencing the shortagebecomes more severe than it otherwise would have been. So the "moral" outcome you believe should be the way things are done just results in fewer people obtaining the goods they are trying to buy. Seems like empty idealism to me.

I question the depth of your understanding on supply and demand.

001_supply_and_demand_chart.jpg

Do you see how the quantiy of a good supplied increases as the price increases?

Higher prices:

1) Give existing sellers in the market more incentive to accept the additional costs associated with increasing the amount of goods they supply. In an abrupt scarcity scenario, this includes the costs associated with trying to increase supply ASAP. Rush overnight shipping, expanding production and adding extra shifts, etc.

2) Draw additional entrants to the market, that would otherwise not choose to sell the goods at all. Picture someone that already owned two or more AR 15s before the panic. Given uncertainty of the future, they'd probably just as soon sit on all their rifles and be glad to have them. But...if it got to the point that the rifles weren't going for a dollar less than three times what they paid for the rifle, they'll probably give some serious thought to living with just owning a single rifle and selling the spare(s).

You can complain all you want when somebody is selling a basic AR for $2,000, but that price tag is the only reason the rifle is even there for you to choose not to buy in the first place. If the rifle was marked for $1,000, it would of been long gone before you even got your eyes on it. If prices aren't allowed to rise when demand surges, the net result is even more people are left unable to get the item.

Below is a graph demonstrating the effect of a government imposed cap on fuel prices after a severe storm, but the principals are the same:

Gouging_Demand_Supply1.jpg

By limiting the price, quantity ultimately supplied to the market experiencing the shortagebecomes more severe than it otherwise would have been. So the "moral" outcome you believe should be the way things are done just results in fewer people obtaining the goods they are trying to buy. Seems like empty idealism to me.

respectfully, I have forgotten more than you can google on this. I spent a career on wall street as a successful bond trader, have been on tv discussing this in a market capacity, and teach this in graduate school for a top program donating the earnings to a charitable endeavor (animal shelter). I am fully cognizant of supply and demand and the drivers, price points, theories, and externalities that affect such behavior.

As stated, there is a difference between gouging and taking profits during panic times.

respectfully, I have forgotten more than you can google on this. I spent a career on wall street as a successful bond trader, have been on tv discussing this in a market capacity, and teach this in graduate school for a top program donating the earnings to a charitable endeavor (animal shelter). I am fully cognizant of supply and demand and the drivers, price points, theories, and externalities that affect such behavior.

Only needed google's help with the images, but your counter-condescension is duly noted.

If that's the case, I find it all the more baffling that someone with your background would hold the opinion you do.

What determines the difference between gouging & taking profits? Does the distinction only exist during "panic times"? What is an acceptable amount of profit? Is a company like Apple in a constant state of price gouging by enjoying such a large profit margin on every product they sell?

As stated, there is a difference between gouging and taking profits during panic times.

Dude, you totally made all this shit up.

Admit it...you live at home with your parents...in their basement.

Respectfully....