Pizza Bob

NYT Op-Ed / Is This For Real???

My significant other left some pages of the NYT open on the kitchen counter, for me to find this morning. It was open to an op-ed piece entitled "Confessions of a Liberal Gunowner". I guess she was trying to show me how fair and balanced the NYT is.

I read the piece and it just smacked of being contrived. The phrases used. The talking points. The gun knowledge professed, all seemed to come from the anti's playbook. Even though it ended without a blanket condemnation, it just struck me as being a very subtle anti piece of writing. Maybe all that has gone on in the last month and a half or so has made me especially paranoid. Or maybe being the age I am, I've seen all this before. Regardless, here's a link to the op-ed piece in question. Read it and tell me what you think...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/opinion/confessions-of-a-liberal-gun-owner.html?pagewanted=all

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I didn't realize it was a novella. Anyways...I tried to give this article the benefit of the doubt and I was on the fence until I reached this paragraph.

"Lots of people on both sides of the aisle own firearms, or don’t, for reasons that supersede their broader political and cultural affiliations. Let me be clear: my personal armory notwithstanding, I think guns are woefully under-regulated. It’s far too easy to buy a gun — I once bought one in a parking lot — and I loathe the National Rifle Association. Some of the Obama administration’s proposals strike me as more symbolic than effective, with some 300 million firearms on the loose. But the White House’s recommendations seem like a good starting point and nothing that would prevent me from protecting my family in a crisis. The AR-15 is a fascinating weapon, and, frankly, a gas to shoot. So is a tank, and I don’t need to own a tank."

- Not enough gun laws

- loathe NRA

- new Assault ban proposal is a good start

- ARs are weapons of mass destruction

Verdict: Contrived

In New Jersey, owning a gun is practically a political statement because of what you have to go through. In free states, you just walk into a store and get one and maybe stick it in your sock drawer when you get home. I think there are more gun owners like this than we know.

No doubt his gun ownership is only a means to facilitate his writing career.

I doubt he'd own or apply for concealed carry otherwise

"It wasn’t until my mid-40s that my education in guns began, in the course of writing a novel..."

Born 1962, mid 40's = ~2007, looks like that's when he sold his vampire books so he thought he might need to know something about firearms.

Interesting that he moved to income tax-free Texas where he hit the jackpot with his book deals. (He quit his teaching gig.) Wonder if he just "visits" Cape Cod now, rather than relocate permanently to Mass.

Wikipedia - Justin Cronin

Latest doings

Justin Cronin (born 1962) is an American author. He has written four novels: Mary and O'Neil and The Summer Guest, as well as The Passage and The Twelve as part of a trilogy. He has won the PEN/Hemingway Award, the Stephen Crane Prize, and the Whiting Writer's Award.[1]

Born and raised in New England, Cronin is a graduate of Harvard University and the Iowa Writers’ Workshop. He taught creative writing and was the "Author in-residence" at La Salle University in Philadelphia, PA from 1992 to 2005. He lives with his wife and children in Houston, Texas where he is a professor of English at Rice University.[2]

In July 2007, Variety reported that the screen rights to Cronin's vampire trilogy was purchased by Fox 2000.[3] The first book of the series, The Passage, was released in June 2010.[4] It garnered mainly favorable reviews.[5][6]

Bibliography:

• A Short History of the Long Ball (1990)
  • Mary and O'Neil (2001) – Winner of The Stephen Crane Prize from Book of the Month Club
  • The Summer Guest (2004)
  • The Passage (2010)
  • The Twelve (2012)[7]
  • The City of Mirrors (2014)[7]

Its propaganda like this article that fuels my anti friend's belief that "most gun owners believe in mag limits and banning AW's". It allows them to feel better about themselves as they go forth promoting the trampling of our rights.

I felt this was this month's "balance" piece for the NY Times on gun rights / control. Balancing out 20-30 anti rights articles and opinion pieces. I don't doubt his experience, and can relate to much of what he says.... I just don't accept his willingness for greater controls and bans on popular rifles and things.

No one here would reasonably expect the NY Times to publish such a piece if it didn't serve their overall agenda. But it can, with proper critical commentary, serve as a discussion starter with anti gun people.

He's a gun owner, but still believes in more regulation?? He agrees it would be nice if the world had exactly zero guns in it?? That's enough for me - the NYT has only one place in my house, and that's in the bottom of a litter box along with the rest of liberal media.

And +1 to what Dan stated.

He's only in Texas because of the teaching job at Rice University. He is trolling OpEd pieces to keep his name in the limelight and make some spare cash on the side. He is a mole of the worst kind.

Will not read his books, or see the movie when his Hollywood chronies make it.

Just like to know why he left LaSalle University in Philadephia for the job at Rice. I guess the sponsorship for the Author in Residence job expired or was withdrawn.

If the job was a BU i bet this piece would not have even been written or published.

My significant other left some pages of the NYT open on the kitchen counter, for me to find this morning. It was open to an op-ed piece entitled "Confessions of a Liberal Gunowner". I guess she was trying to show me how fair and balanced the NYT is.

I read the piece and it just smacked of being contrived. The phrases used. The talking points. The gun knowledge professed, all seemed to come from the anti's playbook. Even though it ended without a blanket condemnation, it just struck me as being a very subtle anti piece of writing. Maybe all that has gone on in the last month and a half or so has made me especially paranoid. Or maybe being the age I am, I've seen all this before. Regardless, here's a link to the op-ed piece in question. Read it and tell me what you think...

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NYT reader? Time to get a new wife, you have legal cause. Tell her SpacemanVic said so.