GOVERNOR CHRIS CHRISTIE ELECTRONIC RESPONSE

Office of the Governor

Office of Constituent Relations

Post Office Box 001

Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0001

GOVERNOR CHRIS CHRISTIE ELECTRONIC RESPONSE

January 30, 2013

Dear Friend:

Thank you for writing to express your opposition to new laws regarding gun control.

I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Acting on my commitment to take a full and comprehensive look at the intersection of gun control, addiction, mental health and school safety in New Jersey, I have created the NJ SAFE Task Force. The Task Force will be chaired by two former attorneys general of New Jersey and members who have expertise in the fields of mental health diagnosis and treatment, addiction services and treatment, law enforcement and school safety.

Violence in our society has never been solely about firearms, and we would miss an opportunity to better prevent the roots of violence if we didn't look at the complete picture. If we are truly going to take an honest and candid assessment of violence and public safety, we have to look more deeply at the underlying causes of many acts of violence. That means removing the stigma and evaluating issues of mental health, addiction, prevention and treatment services alongside the effectiveness of our firearms laws, enforcement mechanisms and our school safety measures. This task force will convene immediately and report back with its findings.

My commitment has always been to evaluate public safety, criminal policy and behavioral science with an approach that recognizes that these issues cannot be separated from one another. The SAFE Task Force will further my commitment in that regard as we look at how we can better guarantee violence control.

I hope you find this information helpful. Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Chris Christie

Governor

That was a safe, "see I don't support gun control" response designed as political cover for when he runs for POTUS in 2016. He'll still have to answer for his assembly campaign ad as well as our two AG's.

If Christie winds up being the Republican's guy in 2016, we'll have another Democrat in the Whitehouse.

I am gonna regret posting in here but.... :facepalm:

What do you guys expect ?

He uses the terms we like to see..... "violence control" vs. the dreaded "gun control"......

Do you really expecthim to come out all of a sudden as a "pro" gun person..... not gonna happen......

So keep talking about his weight.... and throwing barbs....

But be thankful that he has no intention of doing here.... what happened in NY...

/rant

well maybe our Gov. will learn from Cuomo mistake

Cuomo plummets in polls after gun control law

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's popularity has plummeted among Republicans, Democrats and independents after he pushed tougher gun control measures into law after the Connecticut school massacre.The Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday shows the Democrat dropped from his all-time high approval rating of 74 percent in December to 59 percent now. Quinnipiac's Maurice Carroll, however, says the results go beyond the gun law and shows concern about Cuomo's liberal turn this year. Cuomo blames the drop on the public's misunderstanding of the gun measures, which he rushed into law without public hearings or the required public review period. He says they won't infringe on gun owners' rights and will save lives. Quinnipiac questioned 1,127 voters from last Wednesday to Sunday. The poll has a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points. (Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Misunderstanding of gun laws? Oh really? Like his butt buddy Blumballz? No misunderstanding... He's screwing the pooch... They know it. Plop! ;o

well maybe our Gov. will learn from Cuomo mistake

Cuomo plummets in polls after gun control law

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's popularity has plummeted among Republicans, Democrats and independents after he pushed tougher gun control measures into law after the Connecticut school massacre.The Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday shows the Democrat dropped from his all-time high approval rating of 74 percent in December to 59 percent now. Quinnipiac's Maurice Carroll, however, says the results go beyond the gun law and shows concern about Cuomo's liberal turn this year. Cuomo blames the drop on the public's misunderstanding of the gun measures, which he rushed into law without public hearings or the required public review period. He says they won't infringe on gun owners' rights and will save lives. Quinnipiac questioned 1,127 voters from last Wednesday to Sunday. The poll has a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points. (Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

That was a safe, "see I don't support gun control" response designed as political cover for when he runs for POTUS in 2016. He'll still have to answer for his assembly campaign ad as well as our two AG's.

If Christie winds up being the Republican's guy in 2016, we'll have another Democrat in the Whitehouse.

Not to worry. I'm sure Rand Paul will outdo him in the primaries, unless the GOP and media try to sweep him under the rug like they did with his father. I cannot envision Christie going to the Whitehouse. 2016, here we come.

He uses the terms we like to see..... "violence control" vs. the dreaded "gun control"......

Do you really expecthim to come out all of a sudden as a "pro" gun person..... not gonna happen......

But be thankful that he has no intention of doing here.... what happened in NY...

/rant

+1000. If you are expecting Rick Perry move to Texas. I think Christie is just about the best we can hope for on the gun issue in this state. I at least hold out hope that his common sense approach and willingness to swim against the tide may, just may result in him opposing some of the mroe draconian measures being proposed. I do think it can go either way and without a doubt the more thoughtful (and civil) letters, faxes, etc he receives the better.

Not to worry. I'm sure Rand Paul will outdo him in the primaries, unless the GOP and media try to sweep him under the rug like they did with his father. I cannot envision Christie going to the Whitehouse. 2016, here we come.

Unless Marco Rubio get the GOP nomination in 2016, the Republicans will lose yet another Presidential election. Rand Paul, while brilliant and realistic will be played as an extremist in the press like his father and likely lose a general election.

Unless Marco Rubio get the GOP nomination in 2016, the Republicans will lose yet another Presidential election. Rand Paul, while brilliant and realistic will be played as an extremist in the press like his father and likely lose a general election.

His father is pretty out of his mind on MANY issues.

I have no doubt Christie is VERY aware of the polls for Cuomo and the hit he took. He already threw some jabs at him weeks ago, this is only likely to play on his mind. National elected official also are probably quite aware of it as well.

ie: this is good, that poll from NY is very meaningful.

Beware when ANY politician banters around the words "Safe, Safety, Public Safety..."

To me, these are potential red flags, particularly if the politician is a utopianist nanny bleed heart crusader from Dramaville, which I dont think (hope) Christie is.

Unless Marco Rubio get the GOP nomination in 2016, the Republicans will lose yet another Presidential election.

Susana Martinez.

Older, and she has much more administrative experience than Rubio.

Governor of a southern state. Like .... Clinton and Bush #43?

Outspoken, combative VP candidate from a northern state. Christie?

(Christie is a successful politician and a successful lawyer. I don't expect him to put anything into a response that could hang him at a later time and place.)

You are a stating exactly what i meant... he is our best option right now and we should be working with the guy... not insulting him with brainless simpleton fat jokes.

Absolutely. He is a Republican Governor in one of the bluest states. He has to appeal to a large Democratic base if he hopes to survive here. He also needs to appeal to his Republican base. It's a very fine line to walk. While he's not one of us and isn't our ideal choice, he's about the best we can expect right now. The simple truth is that we need him right now. If Corzine was still in office, not only would every one of those 43 bills be law already, they would be far worse. We need to support Christie and not berate him. Would you rather have Christie or Booker elected this year? I'll take my chances with Chris Christie.

/rant

Agreed - Christie is about the best we have now. I don't agree with everything he does but compare him to the other option we had.

My only concern with this committee is with one of the members. John Degnan I believe was part of the committee (lead?) that recommended the red decals for the license plate of probationary drivers. Not a high point legislatively in my opinion...

I don't believe the Govenor has stood up for firearm rights, ever. I respect the work he has done to try and clean up the corruption and fiscal mess handed to him by his Democratic predecesors, but he will take the gun thing which ever way that he thinks will take him farther...he is up for re-election soon, and has to appease his blue constituents to remain in office. so expect something to aid to the "Public Safety" . Excuse my insult to his belt size, but it was apprpriate to the image of him balancing down the top of the fence regarding 2A rights. I am not holding my breath here waiting for Christie to save us..you better plan for the worst here. I'm writting letters to my representatives, my govenor, and our press editors, and I don't know what else to do except wait for the dust to settle.

Absolutely. He is a Republican Governor in one of the bluest states. He has to appeal to a large Democratic base if he hopes to survive here. He also needs to appeal to his Republican base. It's a very fine line to walk. While he's not one of us and isn't our ideal choice, he's about the best we can expect right now. The simple truth is that we need him right now. If Corzine was still in office, not only would every one of those 43 bills be law already, they would be far worse. We need to support Christie and not berate him. Would you rather have Christie or Booker elected this year? I'll take my chances with Chris Christie.

Booker is going to run for Lautenmummy's seat (which would be an improvement). Dems are running from the chance to challenge Christie for the Governorship (Booker, Sweeney, Codey); Bueno is the latest name that's bubbling up to the top of the list. Let's see how long before she decides she's not running. :nea:

Christie is only for gun rights on paper. To be a Republic. He is as anti gun as anti gun Democrats. Someone needs to post the Christie flyer where he was anti gun running for office.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

What's the electronic response for pro gun control?? I still like Christie makes hard decisions then sticks to it for the most part. If he were to say flat out ..not soon to he running for president .. yes or no to gun control I would believe him.

Maks he is a politician and I understand fully that he will do what it takes to get elected. I also think that personally he is not a 2A supporter... he does not come from a military, LEO or even a hunting/fishing background. So look through his eyes, and try to see what he sees. He sees a dem state all screwed up in its economics, policies and legislative activities. He is the right guy to fix those issue... The 2A issues are foreign to this guy. Yes, it is about the Constitution, but there is always a personal side to any decisions made by politicians. But I think he will seem just like it is no business of anyone elses where he sends his kids to school, it is no business of anyone else how people exercise their 2nd Amendment Right.

But we have to bring him along, nurture that relationship, convince him that in NJ their are legal gun owners that have some power and are here to stay.