Barms

Options for non-designated gun safe lockup options..

Please please please i don't want this to turn into a what is the BEST way to lock up your stuff. And i know some guys will write "just suck it up and buy a real safe".. i have thought about this hard. I don't need a gun safe, I don't have kids, i just need a place to put my long guns (2), my pistol(s), and my ammo that has a lock on it to keep the cleaning lady away from it, and potentially any visitors that get out of my eyesight.

currently i am using a small freezer chest that i put a lock on, but alas, i think i want to use my freezer again. So i wanted to know if there are guys out there that have any good locking box, or locking chest suggestions. I don't want an upright cabinet, i was hoping to keep it a small chest that i can put a lock on. Do i go straight steel tool chest? or thick plastic storage chest?

Yes, i know the point of a gun vault/safe is not just for temporary deterent (friends, cleaning lady), but its also to keep the thieves away.. but honestly i'd be more upset about other things stolen in my house besides the guns..

so anybody who uses a non vault option.. please send me your suggestions.. some day i will get a real gun vault.. but right now the collection of arms+ammo is so small i don't need it yet. let me crawl before i walk..

Toolbox for handguns and ammo. Steel one with a padlock. If you want more security, bolts through the bottom of the box, carpet, and into the floorboards so the toolbox doesn't move.

For rifle, pelican case under bed, chained to the metal bed frame. Or in the closet, chained to an eye bolt secured to the 2x4 behind the drywall.

Locking a closet door is also a good idea. A deadbolt on the closet door will keep the cleaning lady out.

Yes, i know the point of a gun vault/safe is not just for temporary deterent (friends, cleaning lady), but its also to keep the thieves away.. but honestly i'd be more upset about other things stolen in my house besides the guns..

You are forgetting the thief using your gun against you. $300 for the Winchester safe seems a bit much for your purpose, but it's purpose built and weighs 147 pounds. You don't want your guns to be stolen and used to commit a crime either.

Dicks generally has a 8 gun stack on cabinet for $120. I'm sure some will say it's child's play to pick the lock but if someone is determined enough they will get into anything. This should be sufficient

I JUST bought this from walmart for $95 shipped to my door 85 if you want it shipped to a store free.

I thought a while about this same thing. I don't have any kids or live in a terrible neighborhood or anything but I felt the need to make sure the guns are secured in some way while I'm not home. I also live in an apartment so having a full sized safe isn't a viable option.

Make no mistake, this isn't a safe. It isn't even a great cabinet. But it will keep your long guns locked up and provide a little security if bolted into a wall or floor. Oh yeah, if you have a lot of handguns they'll need to stay in their cases.

i was thinking one "box" for all of them.. not a lock on the closet.. i definitely want it all one spot. the winchester thing was too big. i was thinking more the line of a big locking tool "chest".. A full out cabinet takes up too much space.. don't laugh, but the storage trunk is sort of the size i had in mind. its 2 long guns, couple of pistols and max a couple thousand rounds.. and at the same time it doesn say "hey, i got guns in here".

keep the ideas comin'..

i just checked the dicks 8 gun cabinet. that is too formal. look, i've been keeping them in a freezer chest the past year!.. this is all about function not form. Incognito i like..

even something like this..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100189569/5yc1v?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=rigid+tool+box&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100189569

i was thinking one "box" for all of them.. not a lock on the closet.. i definitely want it all one spot. the winchester thing was too big. i was thinking more the line of a big locking tool "chest".. A full out cabinet takes up too much space.. don't laugh, but the storage trunk is sort of the size i had in mind. its 2 long guns, couple of pistols and max a couple thousand rounds.. and at the same time it doesn say "hey, i got guns in here".

keep the ideas comin'..

i just checked the dicks 8 gun cabinet. that is too formal. look, i've been keeping them in a freezer chest the past year!.. this is all about function not form. Incognito i like..

even something like this..

http://www.homedepot...c1v&R=100189569

in my opinion that would be the best form or "function" to use if you want to keep your guns in good condition. If you dont care about your guns just throw them in the freezer and be done with it.

At Dicked I picked up the Stack On 14 gun locker on sale for 110. Its not huge. I fit it easily into my Subaru Impreza and solo carried it up 2 flights of steps. I want to pick up another for ammo.

http://www.stack-on....ts/products/219

For what its worth home security monitoring is around $29 bucks a month.

I dont know how long you need it to be but this works for things besides long guns. Got it at Walmart for $60

This is real heavy duty w/ keyed lock and 2 padlock lugs. FYI I keep my firearms in a locked fire safe, safe and secure is being responsible.

IMG_1406_zps3d253c11.jpg

IMG_1407_zps37fdd7e2.jpg

IMG_1411_zps674552d0.jpg

IMG_1412_zpsaedf3c52.jpg

...to keep the cleaning lady away from it...

...Yes, i know the point of a gun vault/safe is not just for temporary deterent (friends, cleaning lady)...

Wait, you can afford a "Cleaning Lady" but don't want to purchase what amounts to necessary equipment for responsible gun ownership?

Spend the few hundred dollars and buy the appropritae gear. Tell "Alice" to take a week off and clean the place yourself to make up the difference in the cost of the safe/vault.

..but honestly i'd be more upset about other things stolen in my house besides the guns..

I would bet that the victims of any crime that your firearms were used in would disagree with your sentiment.

:facepalm:

I can not think of one item in my home that I feel is more important to secure properly than my firearms.

I have a close relative whome had the same mantra as you do. They figured whats the point in having a safe, they have no children, live in a safe neighborhood, and have no visitors without him being present. Unfortunately we can't predict the future and needless to say his home was a prime target of a burglary. With that, all his guns 15 in total were taking from his home. His idea of keeping them locked in an unoccupied closet did not stop the thieves. Now, I am not saying go out and buy a safe but wherever you decide to store them, make sure its burglary proof. Whether you bolt it down to wall and floor, have a hiding spot that Sherlock Holmes could not find, or invest in a monthly storage facility for firearms( forgot the company name, however they were at the garden state outdoors show). Regardless of the option you choose, be safe and responsible. These two gunownership features with not only protect you, but help with the fight to keep the 2nd amendment alive. Every little bit counts. I'm sure this is not news to you, but may help new gun ownwers in our community. Keep us updated!

Wait, you can afford a "Cleaning Lady" but don't want to purchase what amounts to necessary equipment for responsible gun ownership?

Spend the few hundred dollars and buy the appropritae gear. Tell "Alice" to take a week off and clean the place yourself to make up the difference in the cost of the safe/vault.

I would bet that the victims of any crime that your firearms were used in would disagree with your sentiment.

:facepalm:

I can not think of one item in my home that I feel is more important to secure properly than my firearms.

This ^^^^

How would you feel if one of your guns were used in a murder or against yourself? Is it worth a few hundred bucks? Don't be one of the people that say "it won't happen to me." How many times have you seen that in the news?

All great feedback guys. But just for the record. Unless it wasn't obvious. When I said I kept them locked in a freezer chest, the freezer has been unplugged for years. Lest anyone think I stuck my stuff in a freezer when company was over!!

since you have two long guns a cheap homock gun safe would be good enough, this one is pretty cool.. plus their are others on the page.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/homak-between-the-studs-long-gun-wall-safe.html?gclid=CIeJ2czypLUCFUkw4AodrwoAvg&ef_id=SY1QLvkD62wAAEO5:20130207190805:s

Section off the end of a closet. Get a piece of plywood that fits the dimension, add hinges and a locking clasp, done. A crook would be through it in 30 seconds with tools, but for the cleaning lady it's enough.

Frankly a crook would be through the freezer or fridge option too, providing he brought tools. A smash and grab... well they're just not going to spend that much time in the house.

Frankly a crook would be through the freezer or fridge option too, providing he brought tools. A smash and grab... well they're just not going to spend that much time in the house.

All the lockups do is buy time, you need to prevent it during a smash and grab...cheap safes can be pryed open in a few minutes with long bars.

If you all keep your guns locked up how do you get to them if a life or death situation were to arise? Just curious...

My handgun is locked in it's factory case, but I just purchased an ar15 and don't have anything for that yet. I'll look into some of these options.