Cemeterys Gun Blob

NJ SAFE Task Force: Rutgers Law School

Looking to attend this one tomorrow as well but with Mrs. NJCK so she can give testimony with the vantage of being pro-gun AND a psychologist who actuals works in treating the mental health issues that are the real subject at hand...

Excellent, you divert their efforts away from targeting legal gun owners, and have your wife talk about the abysmal mental-health system and the need for more treatment centers.

From that FB page it seems no one gives a damn. Too much time has passed since the shooting. They're too preoccupied with American Idol and that new crappy show with Kevin Bacon.

Doesn't seem like they forgot in Maryland. Over 4,000 attended a rally in Annapolis yesterday. One thousand signed up to testify. After 8 1/2 hours the Judiciary Committee pulled the plug. Some folks waited for 12 hours to speak only to be turned away.

On Mdshooters.com, the thread regarding their rally and testimony had over 40,000 views and 1500 posts over a 24 hour period.

The response I get from many New Jersey firearm owners is, " I paid my $35. I did my part."

Pitchers and catchers report in a week. The Giants cut Bradshaw. How did the Knicks lose to the Wizards?

"The people will suffer what is sufferable rather than to assume the burden of righting what is wrong."

Doesn't seem like they forgot in Maryland. Over 4,000 attended a rally in Annapolis yesterday. One thousand signed up to testify. After 8 1/2 hours the Judiciary Committee pulled the plug. Some folks waited for 12 hours to speak only to be turned away.

On Mdshooters.com, the thread regarding their rally and testimony had over 40,000 views and 1500 posts over a 24 hour period.

The response I get from many New Jersey firearm owners is, " I paid my $35. I did my part."

Pitchers and catchers report in a week. The Giants cut Bradshaw. How did the Knicks lose to the Wizards?

"The people will suffer what is sufferable rather than to assume the burden of righting what is wrong."

Well said.

Two news reports from Maryland's event yesterday:

"Activists"

http://www.wbaltv.co...9l/-/index.html

"Advocates"

http://www.wjla.com/...olis-84939.html

Unfortunately, sometimes there are too many that are apathetic to the cause, simply because they think "doesn't affect me".

I had a lengthy discussion with my neighbor last week--he hunts occasionally. Yet, he seems to fall into the category of "Just because it's a RIGHT, doesn't mean you NEED to own 25 firearms".

My best friend who is a ravenous hunter, also seems apathetic--he doesn't see the "need" for one of those scary "assault weapons". But what he fails to understand is that with some of the proposed legislation, some of the firearms he owns today very well could become illegal for the sport that he so thoroughly enjoys.

They're also 2 people who for whatever reason, somehow feel "afraid" of the government--they don't want to draw any attention to themselves in speaking out against what we view as infringements. Which by it's very nature, is the antithesis of what the 2nd amendment stands for.

On a better note:

I had a very long discussion with one of my quite Liberal colleagues at work yesterday. When Sandy went down, he conceded that gun control is not the immediate solution. He was generally interested in understanding my arguments for possessing a firearm, being allowed to carry one, the insanity of an "assault weapons" ban, and the "high capacity" magazine position. He was receptive to everything I had to say, and like most, was quite ignorant of what NJ, as well as Federal laws are when it comes to firearms. He was also shocked and confused when I told him that SCOTUS has ruled time and time again that Law Enforcement has no direct duty to protect you--their responsibility is to enforce the law, and if they protect you while enforcing said laws, that's a bonus.

I told him the story about how the schizo in Oklahoma did in fact obtain his firearms legally, but the mental health reporting that he should not is so broken in OK, that for the entire year of 2012, OK reported to NICS a whopping 3 people.

I then told him that while I enjoy firearms as a hobby, and an investment, I truly wished we lived in a world where owning a firearm was not necessary for personal protection, and our government could always be relied upon to serve the citizens, and not themselves. But that's not reality.

We can be our own worst enemies sometimes, and people need to wake up to the fact that the 2nd amendment is truly what protects all of the other amendments.

I am going AGAIN. That is, I went to Newark Last night, and then realized the meeting was tonight.

Oops.

I am also bringing my GF. She is preparing her speech. It is going to be interesting to see how the committee members react to a petite young girl putting forth a message of "I will not be a victim".

February 7, 2013, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m., Rutgers University School of Law-Newark

Center for Law and Justice, the Baker Trial Courtroom, Room 125

123 Washington Street, Newark NJ 07102

Parking is available in Lot 510 across the street from the Center for Law and Justice

(parking is free until Lot is full)

Read more at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/01/nj-governors-task-force-to-holding-hearings-on-guns-next-week/#ixzz2KE5RJZlv

Where is this going to be held exactly? I haven't seen any real info on it.

Make sure you can cut it down to 1.5 minutes just in case.

Keep it less than a minute they were cutting at least half the speakers off yesterday after 1:15. I was timing them. Funny thing is the Minister and MM4GC got to speak as long as they wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

From that FB page it seems no one gives a damn. Too much time has passed since the shooting. They're too preoccupied with American Idol and that new crappy show with Kevin Bacon.

Hey it's sweeps.

No one posted yet?

I spoke and my girlfriend spoke.

Panel at least seemed attentive and polite.

I keep notes on type of speakers:

Anti - 6

Pro - 45

Neither - 12

Loonies - 3

About 150-200 in attendance

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just got back from the Rutgers meeting.

They started a little early, and wrapped up about 8:30pm.

Three distinct groups: pro-rights, pro-Newark, and pro-control.

The pro-rights definitely had a majority presence.

The pro-Newark crowd was fairly interesting, and did not in most part disagree with the pro-rights crowd

- There needs to be investment in mental health services, substance addiction services, social services, programmed alternatives to gang lifestyle.

- There is a lack-of-jobs problem.

- There is a lack of police presence on the streets problem.

- We could care less about law-abiding gun owners. But a 14 year-old knows to go to a gun show and buy it out the trunk of some guy's car.

- How come everyone suddenly start caring about "gun violence" after Newtown? We struggle with this everyday!

The pro-control were a handful.

- 1 Ceasefire - she looked a little intimidated, unfortunately

- 1 from Brady Campaign - She was more the pro-Newark crowd: concerns about the urban violence.

- 1 Dean of the Law school, who graciously offered the venue to host the meeting. He cited some interesting ideas on using crime data to optimize limited police resources: basically predicting where crime will occur. He also unfortunately cited some statistics about Australia and how gun ownership increases odds of being a gun victim: I considered mentioning the absurdity of "case-control" method used in those studies, but I figured to just let it go. Besides, in a way he is right: we have very little credible scientific research on gun violence, because what limited research has been done (Philly, etc..) were absurd.

- 1 Economist - She said basically a lot of these cherry-picked numbers are BS, because correlation does not equal causation.

(I forget who else...)

Also Tony Colandro of Gun For Hire got the first ruckus response of the night for the comment for something like, "I would rather spend the money to build more prisons to keep violent criminals incarcerated, than spend that same money on this 43 bills."

It went over well with the pro-gun crowd.

It didn't go over too well with some of the other folks.

But before then the crowd was a little quiet and uptight: after that they were quite engaged, clapping, cheering. At least for the pro-rights and pro-Newark crowd. The pro-control folks didn't get much support.

Unfortunately my wife and I didn't make it out as hoped. One of those whom she treats for mental issues that are the crux here decided to get out of hand and ended up being committed... I am told the Task Force is considering two more venues, and will try to get her up to one of those!