Old Dog

If you could carry concealed, which gun(s) would you choose?

For something small like an LCP or small revolver no, But for anything Bigger a nice layered Belt with an internal spine is a great way to go, But every one has there own opinion and whats comfortable for one is not the same for all.

I carry a Glock 22 and a Glock 27 BUG on and off duty on working days.

I carry a Glock 35 or Glock 23 IWB with at least 1 spare magazine everyday and a Ruger LCP or Kahr PM9 as a BUG.

All this talk about "uncomfortable" and "heavy" I think some of you are missing the point of carrying a CCW for the protection of your life or the lives of loved ones. :facepalm:

A pistol on your hip needs to be "Comforting" not "comfortable"... Not that it can't be both, but it may take some work, some time and some money to find the right holster/belt/gun combo that works for you.

I have grabbed quite a few full size guns and have seen dozens of other large frame guns pulled from the waistbands and pockets of shittums on the street. If they can carry and conceal a full size 1911, a cut down SxS 12g, a full size H&K, Walther, Sig, or the ubiquitus Glowk Fowty (I don't know why, but it is always a .40 regardless of its actual caliber) why are we carrying sub-compacts and mouse calibers as primary carry guns day to day (short of medical issues or dress code requirements that limit some choices)?

I have said this before, and I will say it again now - If you are going to CCW a handgun you should carry the pistol/revolver that you shoot the best. Weight, size, capacity, caliber, etc. are all factors (some more important than others) but those factors should be second place to your ability to make good hits with it at typical fighting distances while achieving good results on target.

Yes a .22 will kill you just as dead as a ..45ACP if they both hit you someplace important. I understand that. But don't tell me you are faster and more accurate with a Ruger LCP than a G23 at 15 yards. Don't tell me that you believe a .22 or .25 will be as effective as a duty caliber (.38, 9mm, .357sig, .40, .357 mag, .44, .45) in putting down an aggressor fast.

Carrying a pistol/revolver and relying on it's frightful appearance instead of your skill at arms with it and its ability to quickly stop a determined attacker is planning to fail. If that is your plan based on "stats" that you read than maybe a .22 Pug or something similar sized is a good choice. It will be easier for the Dr. to remove it from your A$$ when a registered bad dude snatches it from you and plants it there.

I know "The first rule of being involved in a gunfight is Have A Gun" great, got it. The lesser known caveat to that is make sure both you and the gun are up to the task at hand when you have to skin it and go to work.

To each their own but I don't aspire to lose a gunfight and since my crystal ball is at the shop for repairs I would rather plan for worst case then best case.

Think about this: If you are CCW carrier in a Mall wth an active shooter and you have a shot at the shooter who is about 20 yards away. Which of your guns would you want in your hand to make that shot?

ETA: None of this is directed at any poster in this thread. It is just a current trend I have been noticing to move towards smaller and harder to shoot guns for CCW because they are "easier" to carry or more "comfortable".

That's my next step. Does a real gun belt make a noticeable difference?

110% YES. It makes all the difference in the world.

I have 2 Ares Gear Ranger belts for everyday wear and a Comptac Dress belt for when I have to dress up. It is like night and day from my old leather belt.

Edited by High Exposure

Between my S&W Pre Model 37, My Polish P64, and my Tokarev I think I have the basses covered pretty well.

I just flat out enjoy pocket carry, and the ultra lightweight smith is great for it. Its the most comfortable gun I have to carry and I have a Galco leather pocket holster.

The P64, is also amazing for pocket carry. It's a little heavier which you will notice for the first 30 minutes or so then it just goes to the back of your mind that you even have it. It prints less then the j frame (however both are still minimal) and with 6+1 of 9x18 plus 2 mags in the back pocket I don't feel at all undergunned.

Then finally I have the Hammer, Polish Tokarev in 7.62x25. This gun is both a joy to shoot and carry... Its got some weight to it but it's not at all a burdance. Its extremely slim so IWB it just disappears. Also the grip frame is very short...just enough to get 3 fingers on so thats another + for staying consealed. 8+1 rounds of 7.62tok is something to be reckoned with, Right now (hollow points are still on backorder) I'm running a the first 3 rounds S&B new production ammo and the rest of the loadout is surplus. It's hotter and harder then the s&b and stands a damn good chance of penetrating soft body armor (

) so I carry it if I'm going somewhere with big crowds where wacko's might target, or if I just feel like having the feeling of being a badass with my big gun in the waistband.

All of these guns have been dead balls reliable with everything I've shot through them...now the only thing lacking from the picture is an ultra small piece... Thats soon to be fixed with an NAA orTarus TCP

My S&W M&P Shield in 9mm is my new favorite pistol. I love it, its light, thin, and is a great shooter. Virtually no recoil as well!

I have a hidden hybrid holster for it and its golden!

Check out that combo OP. If you are close to me, you are more than welcome to try it out as well...

Edit: Looks like the OP is in FL, sorry trying to read between doing stuff at work...

That's my next step. Does a real gun belt make a noticeable difference?

Yes, yes, and one more yes! Get one from a quality gun leather maker where you can extra options for concealment such as additional reinforcing, hidden velcro for IWB carry with kydex holster hangers, etc.

Get yourself two good belts. One for dress slacks(you can also use it for work) I do and I wear jeans to work.

I have 5 belts and they are all gun belts. I prefer the Wilderness Tactical instructor type (I like the frequent flyer one with polymer double loops instead of the typical instructor buckle to hook a line to) as you can get them in 3 different stiffness levels and you are not limited to the holes in the belt for adjustment. I can easily adjust my belt just right. I do not cheap out on my holsters either. All are handmade to order.

I carry a Glock 22 and a Glock 27 BUG on and off duty on working days.

I carry a Glock 35 or Glock 23 IWB with at least 1 spare magazine everyday and a Ruger LCP or Kahr PM9 as a BUG.

All this talk about "uncomfortable" and "heavy" I think some of you are missing the point of carrying a CCW for the protection of your life or the lives of loved ones. :facepalm:

A pistol on your hip needs to be "Comforting" not "comfortable"... Not that it can't be both, but it may take some work, some time and some money to find the right holster/belt/gun combo that works for you.

I have grabbed quite a few full size guns and have seen dozens of other large frame guns pulled from the waistbands and pockets of shittums on the street. If they can carry and conceal a full size 1911, a cut down SxS 12g, a full size H&K, Walther, Sig, or the ubiquitus Glowk Fowty (I don't know why, but it is always a .40 regardless of its actual caliber) why are we carrying sub-compacts and mouse calibers as primary carry guns day to day (short of medical issues or dress code requirements that limit some choices)?

I have said this before, and I will say it again now - If you are going to CCW a handgun you should carry the pistol/revolver that you shoot the best. Weight, size, capacity, caliber, etc. are all factors (some more important than others) but those factors should be second place to your ability to make good hits with it at typical fighting distances while achieving good results on target.

Yes a .22 will kill you just as dead as a ..45ACP if they both hit you someplace important. I understand that. But don't tell me you are faster and more accurate with a Ruger LCP than a G23 at 15 yards. Don't tell me that you believe a .22 or .25 will be as effective as a duty caliber (.38, 9mm, .357sig, .40, .357 mag, .44, .45) in putting down an aggressor fast.

Carrying a pistol/revolver and relying on it's frightful appearance instead of your skill at arms with it and its ability to quickly stop a determined attacker is planning to fail. If that is your plan based on "stats" that you read than maybe a .22 Pug or something similar sized is a good choice. It will be easier for the Dr. to remove it from your A$$ when a registered bad dude snatches it from you and plants it there.

I know "The first rule of being involved in a gunfight is Have A Gun" great, got it. The lesser known caveat to that is make sure both you and the gun are up to the task at hand when you have to skin it and go to work.

To each their own but I don't aspire to lose a gunfight and since my crystal ball is at the shop for repairs I would rather plan for worst case then best case.

Think about this: If you are CCW carrier in a Mall wth an active shooter and you have a shot at the shooter who is about 20 yards away. Which of your guns would you want in your hand to make that shot?

ETA: None of this is directed at any poster in this thread. It is just a current trend I have been noticing to move towards smaller and harder to shoot guns for CCW because they are "easier" to carry or more "comfortable".

110% YES. It makes all the difference in the world.

I have 2 Ares Gear Ranger belts for everyday wear and a Comptac Dress belt for when I have to dress up. It is like night and day from my old leather belt.

I do not think anyone is missing the point. It is more a matter of a realistic assesment of the actual odds of them even needing a gun, much less more than one and having the caliber matter. We prepare for the possible that is most likely and not the unlikely simply because it is possible.

As far as being prepared for the worse goes, I have yet to meet anyone who prepares for the worse for all risks and dangers in their life that are much more likely and common. Preparing for the worse only seems to apply when guns are the answer. We all weigh the odds and make compromises for all the much more likely risks we face daily. If anyone lives their life preparing for the worse I would expect that person to have a bunker in their back yard, drive a bullet proof car, wear a helmet and goggles at all times, live next to a firehouse, take every preventive medical test in existence, etc.. No one does that and yet I have friends who ride motorcycles without helmets because they are uncomfortable in the Florida heat, tell me that they have their big or multiple guns because they prepare for the worse. Some say it while smoking cigarettes and have no fire extinguishers at home. :) I think people prepare for the worse when it comes to things they are most afraid of. Some do not like it when I say "afraid" but who prepares for things that they do not fear happenin to them?

I do not think anyone is missing the point. It is more not being as concerned as you are about the point. I think that most have a realistic appraisment of their risk of needing a gun for defense, much less the even smaller odds of shooting it and having the caliber and number of rounds matter. After all, there are many more high probability things to worry about in our daily life which do affect lots of people we know that deserve more of our attention. We are civilians, businessmen, cooks, mechanics, carpenters, computer guys, bus drivers, etc., not warriors who feel the need to be armed to the teeth whenever we go out.

However, since moving to Florida I recongize that there are those whose job makes them witness or train to combat violent attacks and so they are more focused on that than the rest of us are. There are also those who will pick a particular fear of theirs, like carjacking and then read every article or story they can and prepare for that even though statistically the odds of that happening to them is less then dating Angelina Jolie on your private yatch in Monte Carlo. I get it but realistically most of us do not know anyone who had to fire a gun to protect themselves as a civilian so although the risk is not zero, it is certainly less than being killed in a car accident or other daily type of thing we should be focusing our efforts to prevent from happening to us. For me, my gun is just in case and if I had a choice of carrying a big heavy gun or no gun, I would choose no gun because if I felt that my life is so dangerous that I needed to carry two guns and 20 rounds, I would not want to live anymore.

My philosophy is to prepare for the possible that is most likely and not the unlikely simply because it is possible. I carry a gun because I can do so without it interfering with my life. Kudos to those who can carry a large and/or heavy gun or two or three. I have lived long enough to be an old dog with just a pocket gun carried for 5 of my years on earth. Think I will stick to my plan to enjoy life in comfort and worry about the things more likely to happen to someone in my circumstances. Others are free to have more concern about needing a bigger gun, more guns or more ammo than I have. To sum it up, we do not miss the point but rather our point is smaller than yours is and big is not always better or so I hear. :)

OD,

I understand what you are saying. I know the chances of being involved in a DPF encounter are slim. I know carrying around a full size gun can be a headache at times.

No one is asking anyone to be a "warrior" or to go looking for a fight. I am just asking those that CCW to think about why you chose to carry a gun as a responsible Citizen in the first place. With the answer to that reflection fresh in your mind ask your self this: "Is the gun I am carrying up to the task of completing my objectives most of the time?" If the answer is “no” then why CCW at all? If your answer is “no” your carry gun becomes nothing more than a child’s woobie, it has no real use but, darn it, it makes you feel better. I mean why carry a gun that will only solve a very small percentage of the DPF encounters you may face, when the chance of becoming involved in any DPF encounters at all are so miniscule to begin with?

I get a kick out of guys who regularly shoot a full size gun in training and competition. They shoot IDPA or USPSA as “training”. They take courses by the best instructors out there in the name of “preparedness” shooting the class with drop holsters and custom 1911s or Glocks with tac-lights on them. Then they carry a subcompact .380 for protection thinking that they will burn it down if confronted with a DPF encounter just like if they were shooting the gun they have all the trigger time on.

My question is this: Why not just carry the gun you have all that trigger time with? You know - The one you train with all the time and shoot like a striped-ass ape? Or at least carry its analogue.

On the flip side, why don’t you compete and train with the subcompact that you are relying to save your life? Because you are not as fast, as accurate, or generally as good with the smaller gun as you are with the full size, and let’s face it, you entered the comp to win. So why is winning a competition more important than winning what may very well be the fight of your life?

As far as:

“After all, there are many more high probability things to worry about in our daily life which do affect lots of people we know that deserve more of our attention.”

That’s a weak argument. Once you are prepared, there is nothing to “worry about”. Once that piece is in your holster you can go about your day without a second thought, but if you need it, you have it. Hell, with the right gear, you can comfortably carry a full size pistol and spare magazine and make it disappear in nothing more than shorts and a t-shirt, and here is the crux - If you want to.

“For me, my gun is just in case and if I had a choice of carrying a big heavy gun or no gun, I would choose no gun because if I felt that my life is so dangerous that I needed to carry two guns and 20 rounds, I would not want to live anymore.”

:facepalm: Wow. This statement blows me away. First, All CCW weapons are carried “just in case”. If you definitely knew you were going to be involved in a gunfight today, stay your butt home or bring a rifle and friends with rifles too. Second, only people that live dangerous lives need firearms to protect themselves? What is your definition of a “dangerous life”? I have seen or heard of people killed by gunfire at the mall, the supermarket, a parking lot, the hospital, their homes, walking down the street, in movie theaters, in schools, in parks, driving their cars, in bad neighborhoods, in good neighborhoods, in commercial districts, in residential districts and in business districts. Violence happens with a quickness you can not imagine and it happens at times you can not predict. Unless you are a predator, the perpetrator of a violent act, you have little to no vote on when bad things will happen.

I will tell you this - I have never heard someone involved in a shooting say "Man, that was too much gun and I was carrying way too much ammo."

I have also never heard someone involved in a gunfight say "Hey! That went exactly as I planned and happened according to my schedule. Good thing I listened to my horoscope and brought extra ammo and my fighting gun today and not the .25ACP I usually carry in my back pocket"

I hope none of us are ever involved in a DPF encounter. If any of us ever are, I hope we are prepared and equipped to win. If my family is ever the victim of a violent attack when I am not around, I hope that there is someone nearby with the proper training and the proper tools to help them survive the encounter. I know I will do all I can to save yours.

I see you edited your post while I was taking my time typing :)

I do not think anyone is missing the point. It is more a matter of a realistic assesment of the actual odds of them even needing a gun, much less more than one and having the caliber matter. We prepare for the possible that is most likely and not the unlikely simply because it is possible. As far as being prepared for the worse goes, I have yet to meet anyone who prepares for the worse for all risks and dangers in their life that are much more likely and common. Preparing for the worse only seems to apply when guns are the answer. We all weigh the odds and make compromises for all the much more likely risks we face daily. If anyone lives their life preparing for the worse I would expect that person to have a bunker in their back yard, drive a bullet proof car, wear a helmet and goggles at all times, live next to a firehouse, take every preventive medical test in existence, etc.. No one does that and yet I have friends who ride motorcycles without helmets because they are uncomfortable in the Florida heat, tell me that they have their big or multiple guns because they prepare for the worse. Some say it while smoking cigarettes and have no fire extinguishers at home. :) I think people prepare for the worse when it comes to things they are most afraid of. Some do not like it when I say "afraid" but who prepares for things that they do not fear happenin to them?

Everything we do has to be reasonable, affordable, and legal. There are some things in life that we can not control. There are other things we can.

We can not control if someone wishes to purposefully crash their car into us. We can however, prepare ourselves for a possible car accident by maintaining situational awareness, driving defensively, wearing our seatbelt, and never assuming that the driver of that other car sees us or is going to stop in time. These are reasonable and affordable measures. If you really want to be prepared, you could drive a tank, but that crosses over into unreasonable, unaffordable for most, and depending on what state you live in, possibly illegal. On the other hand if you make a choice to drive in a careless manner, not wear your seatbelt or use your turn signals and regularly blow through stop signs, that is not being unprepared, that is a choice to be unsafe.

We can not control if someone wants to rob or kill us. We can however be prepared by maintaining situational awareness, and being well equipped and well trained. It is not reasonable (and inmost places not legal) to carry a loaded AR or 870 strapped to our chest all the time, even though that is the probably best response to a violent attack. It is however reasonable to carry a concealed handgun (except in NJ) to protect yourself and your loved ones.

Preparing for the worst does not originate in fear. It originates from the detection of a possible threat followed by a logical analysis of the problem and finally an implementation of a plan to mitigate said threat.

It comes down to this. If you shoot a .22 Pug better than any other handgun you own then rock on. If you are the reincarnation of Wyatt Earp with a Ruger LCP or S&W Bodyguard, carry that thing and do good deeds. If you know that you shoot a G19 better than a Beretta .25, and carry the Beretta anyway, you are planning to fail.

If you limit yourself to only becoming involved if the circumstances match the capabilities of a niche pistol you carry for comfort, IMO, you are wrong.

Again it is not about a bigger gun, better holster, different caliber, or more ammo. It is about having the best tool for the job at hand.

When in free america I carry my full size 1911. For the most part i have no problem concealing it IWB even though i am not a big guy. I have some smaller pistols that may be more comfortable to carry but i am not as accurate with them as i am with my 1911 which is why I carry it. I would like to get a J frame .357 mag as a back up gun to carry WITH the 1911.

When in free america I carry my full size 1911. For the most part i have no problem concealing it IWB even though i am not a big guy. I have some smaller pistols that may be more comfortable to carry but i am not as accurate with them as i am with my 1911 which is why I carry it. I would like to get a J frame .357 mag as a back up gun to carry WITH the 1911.

If I could carry anything I wanted off duty it would be a full size 1911. Unfortunately I am limited to DAO 9mm only. If I shoot someone off duty with an unapproved weapon it good by to everything I have worked for.

If I could carry anything I wanted off duty it would be a full size 1911. Unfortunately I am limited to DAO 9mm only. If I shoot someone off duty with an unapproved weapon it good by to everything I have worked for.

That sucks I can at least understand their intentions with the DAO but why 9mm only?