NJSigfan

"Do you have your permit sir?" -1 for Sportmans Rendezvouz

Dicks refused to sell me ammo today because my driver's license is NY. I have a NJ FID, my NY license, and my military ID. They said if I lived on base I could show a copy of my orders but sinc I live off base there is no way around it. I will never go back there for anything even if I decide to get a NJ driver's license. The guy tried to tell me the State Police told him that was the process. I told him that is absolutely not the case and he didn't know what he was talking about although it might be store policy. This was rifle and shotgun ammo mind you. Arms N Ammo or Cheyenne I go.

I know their p2p policy for handling firearm is for the birds... but I have not had any other negative experiences with them

I just picked up a Springfield EMP 9mm 1911 yesterday from them NICS took 2 days and they called me promptly when it came back. There ammo can be slightly high priced but given the times we are in. They have 22lr CCI bricks for 29.99 I'm sure you cant find it anywhere else any lower at the moment.

Someone finally bought that thing? It's been sitting there looking lonely for months after I got the EMP .40 they had.

I dont go in this shop at all, maybe once a year for some cleaning supplies if i m really out and some ammo if i m really out but not more than a box or 2.

The reason is the attitude of this old guy with the glasses who thinks i ll rob him the next moment if i simply ask him a question.

I know about their rules and i find them a complete turnoff.

While i show my FID at most places and i did have a permit with me when he asked for it i decided right there and then that he wasnt goign to get any of my money ....never. And i live a few miles away from the joint.

He can go and sell to his friends all day for all i care but he wont get any money from me.

I agree the old guy kinda seems like a douche. I think this is because he is deaf and has problems hearing. if you notice he wears hearing aids... But the prices in the past on firearms have been the cheapest around these parts. And I mean by $2-300 in some cases. I personally have bought guns there but usually go elsewhere for ammo and accessories. It is what it is. I don't always have the time to drive 45-60 min away to buy a gun I can get for the same price or cheaper 5 min away. Especially with NICS taking 2-4 days now, I would have to do that drive twice.

Someone finally bought that thing? It's been sitting there looking lonely for months after I got the EMP .40 they had.

I agree the old guy kinda seems like a douche. I think this is because he is deaf and has problems hearing. if you notice he wears hearing aids... But the prices in the past on firearms have been the cheapest around these parts. And I mean by $2-300 in some cases. I personally have bought guns there but usually go elsewhere for ammo and accessories. It is what it is. I don't always have the time to drive 45-60 min away to buy a gun I can get for the same price or cheaper 5 min away. Especially with NICS taking 2-4 days now, I would have to do that drive twice.

Didn't notice he was deaf. This explains a lot about his demeanor.

Prices vs other places are bout the same as any store in NJ.....this was 2 yrs ago when i saw them last.

Still.........he can ask for FID all day long....but the actual permit.......after stating that i have one........he can pound sand deaf or no deaf..i dont care.

I know their p2p policy for handling firearm is for the birds... but I have not had any other negative experiences with them

I just picked up a Springfield EMP 9mm 1911 yesterday from them NICS took 2 days and they called me promptly when it came back. There ammo can be slightly high priced but given the times we are in. They have 22lr CCI bricks for 29.99 I'm sure you cant find it anywhere else any lower at the moment.

That s a interesting pistol for me, i ve been looking at EMP for a while....

Hey do post a review of the EMP, would like to hear very much how it handles and all.....

I stop in there pretty regularly as I work close by. It's a true mom and pop and son business. They are good people. Some great deals on used guns but inventory is small even in good times. Ammo prices are usually steep but they offer discount on cases. As of the other day they had plenty of magtech and privi 308 in stock.

The price on the EMP was good thats why I snatched it up, besides the fact they are non existant unless on gunbroker, by then its way too much.

They had some windham ars the other day for 1099.00, alot less than some places around, I think there gone now tho,

A M1A1 also for 2g's

The old guy has always been nice to me the times I have gone in. It's defineltly a mom pop store with their regulars. I think once they know you things warm up, but it could be a turn off for the peeps just dropping by.

Its the closest store to me besides HG in branchburg, and there shelves are pretty bare. Lou's is good too

That s a interesting pistol for me, i ve been looking at EMP for a while....

Hey do post a review of the EMP, would like to hear very much how it handles and all.....

I will post a review probably Monday after going to HG Easton, or if tomorrows nice I may shoot here @ my farm. I am itching to try it out .

Ammo went through the roof 2 months ago...

I believe as per NJ state law you are not permitted to handle a firearm in a shop without presenting a NJ FPIC. I'm sure he was asking for the permit since you couldn't actually purchase a handgun without it. It's a crappy thing to do and in my opinion is just poor customer service.

There is no law that says that.

The old guy has always been nice to me the times I have gone in. It's defineltly a mom pop store with their regulars. I think once they know you things warm up, but it could be a turn off for the peeps just dropping by.

I like supporting local stores, and in this bussines in NJ they need all the help they can get.

Maybe i ll start off with gettign some clays from them and see how it goes from there....................................but for a purchase i would still give Lou's my money first then this bunch.

"Pardon me sir, I need to see personal photo ID, copy of birth certificate, and certification of good health along with your city-issued high caloric permit or exemption before I allow you to peruse our selection of burgers."

-Sportman's Rendezvous & Restaurant: 2020

"Pardon me sir, I need to see personal photo ID, copy of birth certificate, and certification of good health along with your city-issued high caloric permit or exemption before I allow you to peruse our selection of burgers."

-Sportman's Rendezvous & Restaurant: 2020

they will prolly have a dermal cholesterol sensor by then...one that glows if yer over the limit

I have seen that in some places. Ramsey OD does that. Makes sense... They usually take mine and lay it on the shelf on the back wall out of my reach which is fine... I understand.

Years ago when i would go to zueses, they use to ask for a fid or drivers license and hold it until you were done. I ended up working with a former employee of theirs and he said they would hold too keep someone from a grab and run..

I was asked the same thing last week - told them I had a valid permit but don't carry it around since NICS takes a while anyway. Would have been happy to put a deposit on one if I liked it. They didn't care, wouldn't let me see anything outside the case.

The ammo prices though I found reasonable given the times. At least they had 9mm for $16 with a 5 box limit. Better than nothing when the range limits me to one box.

Won't be going back there to purchase. I can go to Heritage Guild and not even have to put a deposit on one until NICS is back. Yes they know me, but so what?

I live only a few miles from this shop and i refuse to buy anything from them unless i have no other option. I have a few gripes with this place but i will keep it short. The older deaf guy and the owners son tried to tell me one day that AK74s are not legal in nj. I informed them that there were many clones that were or could be made to be NJ legal by an FFL. The two of them quickly became very hostile. The older guy even said "why the hell do you need that type of gun anyway". Thats when i snapped a bit. I informed him thats its none of his Fing busness why i want one its my right to have one and i asked him why they sell ARs if they dont want to sell "that type of gun". I left the store and i have only been back once to buy a box of clays. Now i just drive right past this place to go to Jim Flynns for all my firearm needs.

I live only a few miles from this shop and i refuse to buy anything from them unless i have no other option. I have a few gripes with this place but i will keep it short. The older deaf guy and the owners son tried to tell me one day that AK74s are not legal in nj. I informed them that there were many clones that were or could be made to be NJ legal by an FFL. The two of them quickly became very hostile. The older guy even said "why the hell do you need that type of gun anyway". Thats when i snapped a bit. I informed him thats its none of his Fing busness why i want one its my right to have one and i asked him why they sell ARs if they dont want to sell "that type of gun". I left the store and i have only been back once to buy a box of clays. Now i just drive right past this place to go to Jim Flynns for all my firearm needs.

Damn, thanks Adam for the insight. Pass on this shop

There's another for the list...I don't get how you can be in the firearms business and have that sort of opinion, especially when you already stock ARs. That's just asinine. Hell, even if they only stocked bolt guns and other fudd delights, it's all made to propel bits of metal at insane speeds at whatever you so choose. What the hell is the difference?

As someone else said in the thread, most likely it is to check to see if they are dealing with someone who can buy it on the spot. The whole "i don't know you" bit was him basically saying "you may just be looking to fondle guns and waste my time". I agree its a shitty attitude, as its a sure way to drive off a potential sale as not everyone rolls around with their P2P's. IMO, you have to learn to deal with 5 window shoppers just looking to hold guns to get to that one good customer that you may have for life and spends serious coin with you. Their loss.

I have never been asked to show my FID card at Sportsmen's Center or Cheyenne. I never heard of this just to handle a pistol or rifle. I would have asked them to sight the law that requires this and then left the store. Bad enough you have to show your FID to purchase ammo...that is just nuts. Do gangbangers do this?

I have never been asked to show my FID card at Sportsmen's Center or Cheyenne. I never heard of this just to handle a pistol or rifle. I would have asked them to sight the law that requires this and then left the store. Bad enough you have to show your FID to purchase ammo...that is just nuts. Do gangbangers do this?

Gangbangers steal guns or buy them on the street not in stores

I'm only a couple of miles away as well (I'm in Flemington) and I agree, the help there is awful. I once asked about an M1A they had in the rack and the guy snapped "you need to make an appointment to buy a gun!" I just said "OK, thanks for your time." Walked out, never been back. Screw 'em.

Some of these stories are pretty shocking to me. I've been shown guns without question by the young guys, the old guy, and the oldest guy. I've never got an attitude. I do show my FID but never a permit. I stop in maybe once a month or less so it's not like I'm a regular. Who knows. I agree though, there are lots of good shops out there and if I was treated like you guys I would drive right by.

I was over in Manheim Pa. (Lancaster county) yesterday and stopped in at a local gun shop... $15 for 100 rds. CCI 22LR -ouch!

S&W .40 50 rds. FMJ $25. There are a lot of places that are bone dry... no ammo whatsoever. Forget about Walmart, it only comes in a little at a time (if at all) and what's delivered is gone in a few hours if not sooner. Supplies are definitely drying up all over. It's hit or miss whether or not you find any handgun or rifle ammo, and it's near impossible to find anything at a decent price.

On a side note: I told a friend of mine in PA about NJ wanting to ban .50 cal rifles and he just shook his head. He uses a .50 to go deer hunting. He took a buck last year at 600 yards. I know he wouldn't be thrilled about giving up his rifle.

I hope things get better before they get worse.

I used my first permit here...knew what I wanted, had them order it, and they were helpful...It took them the exact amount of time that they told me it would for them to get the gun in and for NICS to come through...The price there was basically the same as I expected to pay everywhere else too