matyb123

legal to pin your own AR15 mags?

i searched and didnt find a definitive answer... mags are hard to come buy so if i cant find 15 rounders i was just gonna get 20's or 30's cuz i found a few 30's at decent price...

question is, is it legal to do so or do you need a receipt to show proof it was done by an FFL?

second dont know what it cost to have it done but is it just worth it to have an FFL do it for legal piece of mind, i have no problem tackling the job.. im a BMW master tech i should be able to pin a mag.. i hope lol

The problem is that it is illegal to have the mag prior to it being pinned.

ohhhhh very good point! guess the only option is to either buy modify or have shipped to FFL...

thanks really good point that i completely over looked

Don't do it here at all in NJ, do whatever you want in Pa then just make sure it can only take 15 maximum, pin it and make sure it permanent and can not be modified without destroying it.

basically me and my dad should do them at his house/garage in pa...

It gets even worse. I was talking to my FFL today and they said they fully believe the new 10 round limit will be implemented by Cristie as he has to compromise and allow something to happen. They are trying to get a reading from the AG, but believe it will be illegal for you to pin your own from 15 down to 10 and they technically can only pin new ones from a supplier not your used ones the way they read the law. This could really suck big time.

When you say destroy it does that mean rendering it useless is we move to a state that does not require it to be pinned? I have a mag where it is blocked with a pin but also allowes me to open it up for cleaning.

no one can really answer this with certainty... but here is the situation as I understand it...

dealers in NJ ARE required to modify magazines in a way that the modification can not be undone.. as if if you tried to undue it.. it would ruin the magazine and make it no longer work..

but I also believe the general spirit of the law is one in which the government expects the same of you... meaning that any mags modified to hold 15 or less must be permanent.. because they state it is illegal to have a mag that is capable.. it does not indicate capable in its current state.. it just says capable.. blindly.. this IMO means if they really wanted to push teh issue.. I pinned mag is capable of holding more than 15 rounds.. the only way to make it not capable is to permanently modify it..

It gets even worse. I was talking to my FFL today and they said they fully believe the new 10 round limit will be implemented by Cristie as he has to compromise and allow something to happen. They are trying to get a reading from the AG, but believe it will be illegal for you to pin your own from 15 down to 10 and they technically can only pin new ones from a supplier not your used ones the way they read the law. This could really suck big time.

I am not willing to bet my shirt (or anything for that matter lol) but I just feel he won't make a big splash with this. I am a firm believer (maybe wishful thinking) that he is gonna lay low so that he has a half decent shot at the 2016 run... If he makes any anti-gun moves right now it will be detrimental to the 2016 race and almost sure as shit end it before it starts...

I am a firm believer (maybe wishful thinking) that he is gonna lay low so that he has a half decent shot at the 2016 run... If he makes any anti-gun moves right now it will be detrimental to the 2016 race and almost sure as shit end it before it starts...

10 rounds is not going to fly in Arizona, Texas and Louisiana. And even if Christie doesn't expect to carry those states, if he wants to be VP, he need to insure that red state Republican voters are not actively against him.

The silver lining to this cloud is that if he signs the bill, it will almost be worth the cost of the mags, because it will likely mean that he will never* make it onto a national Republican ticket, either in 2016 or in 2024.

(* True, Romney signed an AWB. And was the Republican nominee. And lost. And I may be reaching in assuming the Republicans are smart enough to learn from last November's disaster.)

If he vetos it, I will bang the drum for him until 2024.

10 rounds is not going to fly in Arizona, Texas and Louisiana. And even if Christie doesn't expect to carry those states, if he wants to be VP, he need to insure that red state Republican voters are not actively against him.

The silver lining to this cloud is that if he signs the bill, it will almost be worth the cost of the mags, because it will likely mean that he will never* make it onto a national Republican ticket, either in 2016 or in 2024.

(* True, Romney signed an AWB. And was the Republican nominee. And lost. And I may be reaching in assuming the Republicans are smart enough to learn from last November's disaster.)

If he vetos it, I will bang the drum for him until 2024.

Romney signed an AWB that was already in place, as part of a package bill that actually LIFTED many other restrictions..it was kind of FOPA-Lite the majority of FOPA helped us immensely, but they threw the Machingun ban in to "Poison-Pill" it, Reagan signed it anyway

I am not willing to bet my shirt (or anything for that matter lol) but I just feel he won't make a big splash with this. I am a firm believer (maybe wishful thinking) that he is gonna lay low so that he has a half decent shot at the 2016 run... If he makes any anti-gun moves right now it will be detrimental to the 2016 race and almost sure as shit end it before it starts...

Don't be so sure. They voted for Mitt "AWB" Romney.

im gonna revive this a little to get back onto my pinning question.. i have two pmags that are 15/30 in PA, i used mags blocks and then drilled the base plate and drove in a roll pin..

i am under the impression that NJ considers a roll pin permanent..

before i bring them here is that considered "nj legal" to the best of the more understandings knowledge...

it was the cleanest way i could think to do it and you CAN NOT remove the base plate!

im gonna revive this a little to get back onto my pinning question.. i have two pmags that are 15/30 in PA, i used mags blocks and then drilled the base plate and drove in a roll pin..

i am under the impression that NJ considers a roll pin permanent..

before i bring them here is that considered "nj legal" to the best of the more understandings knowledge...

it was the cleanest way i could think to do it and you CAN NOT remove the base plate!

are they 30 round mags that have been changed into 15 round mags? or are they 30 round mags that can be reverted back to 30 round mags....

my understanding is they don't want you to have mags that have the capability to hold more than 15...

they are 30rd mags converted to 15rds with mag blocks and then pinned at the base plate via roll pin..

i have seen more of those than i have 15 rd mags to be honest... my bigger question is the location of the pin placement and it being a pin make it fall under their "description" of permanent...

thats what i think im trying to ask...

they are 30rd mags converted to 15rds with mag blocks and then pinned at the base plate via roll pin..

i have seen more of those than i have 15 rd mags to be honest... my bigger question is the location of the pin placement and it being a pin make it fall under their "description" of permanent...

thats what i think im trying to ask...

if you epoxy or weld the base.. and try to take the mag apart to take out the "block".. it is going to destroy the mag and make it no longer usable..

if you try to undo the modification you have in place will it destroy the mag? or can you roll it back to 30 rounds..

that is IMO what matters..

this is where it gets so stinkin tricky!

it is a roll pin in the side of the baseplate, if you tried to remove it you would have to damage the mag for sure unless you threaded in am easy out and used a tiny slide hammer than yea..

but that goes the same for a muzzle brake and from what i hear the epoxy dosnt hold and usually flake off the polymer lol

i am in nop way arguing if my frustrations seem directed lol

hear is what i did minus the rivet on bottom...

i didn't bring them here until i found out some clarification and i also didn't wanna put rivets in yet either... i will and then they will be super pinned i suppose but if its not permanent in the eye of the law its the same difference as making them 14rds, if it aint right ur effed

I just made some 10 rounders yesterday.Unfortunately some if not most of these bills are going to pass and I needed some legal mags to hold me over. I tried the epoxy from magazineblocks and it was awful so I drove to home depot and bought some roll pins. Installed the mag block (which replaces the bottom plate) Removing the magblock would leave you without all the necessary parts to assemble the mag anyway. I also copied the Midwest design and installed the roll pin to permanently attach the ranger plate to the bottom of the mag. The law is written so you cannot just put a "plug" in the magazine similar to a shotgun plug and easily remove it thus making a large cap magazine. Magblock, some epoxy and a roll pin is more than enough

"A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been

permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will

cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine." An ammunition magazine, which

has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood

or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine."

I just made some 10 rounders yesterday.Unfortunately some if not most of these bills are going to pass and I needed some legal mags to hold me over. I tried the epoxy from magazineblocks and it was awful so I drove to home depot and bought some roll pins. Installed the mag block (which replaces the bottom plate) Removing the magblock would leave you without all the necessary parts to assemble the mag anyway. I also copied the Midwest design and installed the roll pin to permanently attach the ranger plate to the bottom of the mag. The law is written so you cannot just put a "plug" in the magazine similar to a shotgun plug and easily remove it thus making a large cap magazine. Magblock, some epoxy and a roll pin is more than enough

ok so the way i did it is how midwest does it? ok cool

if im in the wrong so are 1000's of other magazines.. not that that would make my butt any less sore in federal pound me in the ass prison lol

RifleGear was selling 20 round PMags in their NJ compliant section. I purchased a bunch (.308/7.62x51) for $28.99 each, before they started selling out after the Sandy Hook shooting....

http://www.riflegear.com/c-145-15-round-new-jersey-magazines.aspx

They are out of stock as of now but the magazines I purchased function as normal and are NJ compliant before they arrive to the buyer...

-Chris

my point is.. if a pin is permanent in a stock and a pin is permanent in a brake why would a pin not be permanent on a mag.

Three different things here.

1. The law does not say that a stock must be permanent. It states that it must not collapse or fold.

2. NJ law does not address a muzzle device; only that it must not be a flash hider or have a threaded barrel that accepts a flash hider. NFA Federal law states that permanently attaching a muzzle device to a threaded barrel eliminates the threads.

3. NJ specifically addresses making magazines compliant. See the following:

"A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine." An ammunition magazine, which has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine."

IMHO, if the magazine cannot be reverted back to a higher capacity, it is permanent. Reducing capacity by pinning is not legal.

I have seen photos where 2 magazines were attacehd to each other (like with Duct tape).

The magazines would be flipped to use the other side.

Would this be considered ONE large capacity magazine, or TWO small capacity magazines?