SgtToadette

Help me find the right 1911.

Now that my AR is more or less in my grasp and I can finish it at my leisure, I'm looking at what my next firearm purchase will be. I had originally intended for it to be a shotgun, but in thinking about it, I realized how useless it would be (for me). I'd like to open up my IDPA options and at the same time have a pretty target gun. So here's the criteria I'm looking for in a 1911:

Things I need:

• Chambered in .45 ACP
  • Stainless finish
  • Full size frame and 5" barrel
  • Reputable manufacturer/track record
  • Night sights

Things I don't want:

• Rails
  • Fancy competition accessories (mag well mods, ported barrels, etc.)
  • Front serrations

I want this gun to be as much about form as function, so I'm being pretty picky. I'd like to spend less than $1500 with a hard price cap of $2000. There's so many options for 1911s out there and I'm getting a bit lost, so any information about 1911s you want to add I will especially appreciate.

Thanks guys!

I'd check out the Kimber. The Custom II Stainless TLE II has everything you mentioned with a price tag of $1211.00. Made in the USA and great quality super reliable gun. I have the rail version & love it. LAPD SWAT uses this as their carry side arm!

Check it out, http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/custom-ii/stainless-tle-ii

Good luck

I'd check out the Kimber. The Custom II Stainless TLE II has everything you mentioned with a price tag of $1211.00. Made in the USA and great quality super reliable gun. I have the rail version & love it. LAPD SWAT uses this as their carry side arm!

Check it out, http://www.kimberame...tainless-tle-ii

Good luck

Only thing I'm bummed about is the front serrations. I want my gun to be as clean as possible. Also, I've heard mixed things about Kimbers and their use of MIM parts? Are these just erroneous criticisms akin to criticism of American Sigs?

What makes a Dan Wesson, say Heritage model, superior to others in the same price range? Whats the difference in build and quality versus something like a SA TRP?

Would a benched dan wesson out-shoot a benched TRP or anything similar at 25 yards?

What makes a Dan Wesson, say Heritage model, superior to others in the same price range? Whats the difference in build and quality versus something like a SA TRP?

Would a benched dan wesson out-shoot a benched TRP or anything similar at 25 yards?

Fit, finish, customer service, and MIM.

Go on 1911forum and read the reviews.

If you can find one, get 1, especially in that price range.

Or, get a used Ed Brown.

I would seriously look at the Sig 1911. They have all the bells and whistles stock...match grade barrel, match hammer and sear, trigger, and crowned barrel. I just picked up a Sig XO in Stainless for 799. Check them out.

I would seriously look at the Sig 1911. They have all the bells and whistles stock...match grade barrel, match hammer and sear, trigger, and crowned barrel. I just picked up a Sig XO in Stainless for 799. Check them out.

Hows that sig running? Have you run into any issues? A few videos on youtube got me concerned about FTFs on earlier sig 1911s

Check it out, http://www.kimberame...tainless-tle-ii

Good luck

How does that compare to the Kimber Custom Target II ? I just came back from the range having rented that gun and am in shock at how well I was able to shoot with it. Now I want one, and am wondering if that is what to get or a different one. I liked the size and weight, but really would love something in nice shiny stainless.

I have the Kimber Team Match II...Extreemly accurate - you likely have to go custom (wilson, bear, etc.) to get more accuracy (and pay much more)...Team match is a disticive frosted stainless pistol - right at your max price point...And if you don't get it in 45 - I will not speak with you anymore ;-).

As a FWIW, I have a 9mm Kimber and a .45 Colt. I am finishing up my Fusion kit build. My Kiimber is stoopid accurate. It's so well built that it makes me look like I know what I'm doing. My Colt is beautiful. The .45 round is a joy to shoot. However, it's a GI gun so the sights, by modern standards, suck. My Fusion kit is super well built. I will have it back from Alchemy Customs in the next little bit. I will let you know how she runs then. The Fusion complete guns get good reviews for the money. I love that they don't rollmark the slide. I hate billboard slides (I bought the Kimber before my aesthetics were developed completely). Their customer service is pretty good from what I hear. Do a ton of research before you buy.

C

How does that compare to the Kimber Custom Target II ? I just came back from the range having rented that gun and am in shock at how well I was able to shoot with it. Now I want one, and am wondering if that is what to get or a different one. I liked the size and weight, but really would love something in nice shiny stainless.

Take a look at the Kimber Raptor.

For $2000 .. get a custom gun built exactly to your specs. You might have to wait longer but you'll probably get what you want. Give Springfield custom shop or S&W custom shop or even Kimber a call and tell them what you want exactly and ask how long it will take.

I'm with you on disliking front serrations but you kinda have to get a custom gun nowdays to not have the "custom" feature. :mda: