seamusSU

Electronic muffs worthwhile ?

IMO Powered ear pro is one of the best shooting aids you can buy, especially of you spend a lot of time teaching other shooter's or as a student.

I have 2 sets of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X hearing pro, one with a comms lead and mic and one without. They are pricey but work as advertised. The comms set was issued and I liked it so much I bought my own. I also have a set of Peltor Com-Tacs which work just as well and are about 5 years old and going strong.

These sets have all been used in all weather conditions - hot cold, rain, snow, they have been worn under helmets. The Peltors survived a ten day explosive breaching class where we built and detonated charges designed to cut holes in brick walls and take steel frame doors off their hinges. The use of the powered hearing pro helped me to keep my hearing intact while allowing me to maintain situational awareness and listen to the instructors.

I have seen many sets of Howard Leights sh!t the bed during classes in less than stellar weather. I would avoid them if you are planning to shoot outside often or attend any serious/hard use training classes.

howard leights on amazon for $45

I upgraded to them last month

^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

I also have peltor tactical electronic muffs, but the Howard leights are better and less expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've been using some regular muffs that I had laying around for my range trips but I'm thinking of getting some of the electronic ones. Are they worth the premium? Any suggestions on ones to look at?

Depends if you need to hear someone else.

I mostly shoot outdoors, and I use 3M Peltor Combat Arms Earplugs. If I need to block out more sound, I like the MidwayUSA ear muffs on top of the plugs.

But if I need to hear someone talking to me, I use my Howard Leight.

Do you shoot indoors or outdoors a lot?

Outdoors, the Howard Leights by themselves are generally "good enough" unless you're shooting some really loud guns. Indoors, I double up with plugs underneath.

Look at the PASSIVE NRR rating on the muffs - they're the actual amount of protection you get. The electronic "cutout" is when there's loud noises above a certain decibel, but it takes some time (fraction of a second but noticeable) for them to cut over to "active" protection. Indoors with echo, it may not be enough to actually protect your hearing.

It seems like that would be a resounding yes to upgrading! Right now I've been shooting rentals indoor (FID and P2Ps expected any day now) but I'm planning to probably shoot more outdoors going forward.

Are these the Howard Leight ones that everyone is recommending? Howard Leight R-01526

I have a set of the impact sports I'd sell for $40. They just don't do it for me. Uncomfortable And let way too much sound through for my taste. I shoot indoors if that matters.

That are pretty popular though. Lots of people wear them at the 2 ranges I frequent.

I have a pair of the Impact Sports... and I've found the Howard Leight's, while not the best, are certainly a killer bang for your buck. I got mine last year during some blowout sale at Midway for like $35.

If they're still too loud at indoor ranges... just wear plugs under then put the muffs on and crank the volume. (Put the plugs in lightly... don't cram 'em in your ears too deep. You only need a bit more muffling.) Works quite well. Took a friend and his wife shooting... the loudness spooked her but I wanted her to be able to hear me if need be... so tried this combo for her... worked perfectly.

I have a pair of the Impact Sports... and I've found the Howard Leight's, while not the best, are certainly a killer bang for your buck. I got mine last year during some blowout sale at Midway for like $35.

If they're still too loud at indoor ranges... just wear plugs under then put the muffs on and crank the volume. (Put the plugs in lightly... don't cram 'em in your ears too deep. You only need a bit more muffling.) Works quite well. Took a friend and his wife shooting... the loudness spooked her but I wanted her to be able to hear me if need be... so tried this combo for her... worked perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have used them and regular ear muffs with maximum protection for a very long time. The electronic are indispensable if you are a shooting competitor or go to the range with friends and like to talk to each other. Other than that a good set of construction earmuffs bought at Lowed with 30db noise protection work great for everything else. I usually use inside the ear soft ear plugs and an ear muff as sometimes someone shooting a .44 mag is in the next lane to me. At my range, any handgun caliber, whether out of a handgun, is allowed so it can get loud at times.