mp123

norton antivirus is anti gun

30 day trial expired on my new laptop so I unloaded the sucker. Now the computer flies when I access this forum. Before there were delays of about 3 seconds when I accessed this forum. Same thing happened on a few other gun related sites. So was the antivirus being extra cautious and making sure that none of the guns that I was looking at were loaded of was it uploading my browsing history to the government? :-))

Agreed.. Norton sucks big ones.. Bogs down machines so much.. I'm sort of the IT guy for our company and all new laptops get mcafee or norton removed ASAP and MS Essentials is put on along with malwarebytes , slim cleaner and spybot.. Nice little security package there and only Mse runs constantly.. I used to use NOD32 but the newer versions are bulkier and not as easy to get free anymore. :)

I use AVG Free on all my machines. It auto scans and auto updates and it's free. Just watch when you install it. It tries to change your search engine and add a toolbar to your browser but as long as you watch and uncheck the install boxes you are good to go.

I work in the industry, my suggestion is kaspersky. It isn't cheap, but you can buy packages that cover all of your computers for several years. Whenever I get the "oh, you fix computers." (I don't) "can you fix mine?" I immediately tell them that I can and it will cost around 40$ for antivirus, I don't charge anything, but they all want magic. Spend the money, the current and future state of malware and viruses can potentially hurt your life.

And don't worry about the adult sites (most of them), it is the news, forums (not this one), games, wares and the biggest culprits are schools and kids sites.

i honestly dont think paying for AV is necessary. There are a lot of decent free ones out there. the difference in what they catch is minimal as long as they are all kept up to date..

that said, what ECS said is true.. most of the places that give adware/malware are ones that you would not really expect.. and programs that unsuspecting installers mistaknely forget to remove installing add-ons (as bruc mentioned - you have to be careful when installing certain programs)

Normally if you've got system restore points getting created daily on your main drive, recovery is very simple.

Until your drive fails LOL

Since you brought that up, i'm gonna throw this out there.. If you are absoutely sure that your HD is crashed beyond repair, please physically destroy it. I'm talking into a MILLION pieces! I have a friend who had a couple of HD's in a box that he said were no good. I hooked them up using an external enclosure and was able to recover photos using a data recovery program. Being that he didnt believe me that this could be done, he watched. Needless to say, they were pics and vids of his wife with another man. (I didnt do it) Yeah....awkward.

Since you brought that up, i'm gonna throw this out there.. If you are absoutely sure that your HD is crashed beyond repair, please physically destroy it. I'm talking into a MILLION pieces! I have a friend who had a couple of HD's in a box that he said were no good. I hooked them up using an external enclosure and was able to recover photos using a data recovery program. Being that he didnt believe me that this could be done, he watched. Needless to say, they were pics and vids of his wife with another man. (I didnt do it) Yeah....awkward.

So I have to ask, was he the cameraman or was it straight to divorce court?

And don't worry about the adult sites (most of them), it is the news, forums (not this one), games, wares and the biggest culprits are schools and kids sites.

+1. I got REALLY REALLY NASTY malware on my PC from the MSN homepage a few months back. MSN? Are you kidding me? I've since changed my homepage to Wikipedia, and also downloaded Firefox, so I don't really have a homepage anymore.

Who would've thought?

I've not used an anti-virus on my machines, pretty much ever. It's unnecessary if you have a competent ad blocker and a reasonable browser like firefox or Chrome.

For the record, I have been removing malware and viruses from computers since the 90s. Malware as it is today really blossomed in about 2003.

For what it's worth Admuncher coupled with any browser but IE will pretty much make you immune to malware unless you click "install this" and you have no idea what "this" is.

I highly doubt that Norton is targeting gun sites in order to purposefully slow them down, fairly misleading.

I'm not going to argue over which PC protection software is better then another as that I have learned is akin to having a religious argument with folks these days, go with whatever makes ya sleep better at night.