e80hydro

Changing a dogs name

About a month ago my wife picks up a shelter dog named Kevin. It's one of those small fuzzy things and I don't pay much attention to it, kind of like a cat, but I noticed a few times this thing is squatting to piss. I just thought it was lazy or something. Anyway, I'm helping her shave this thing the other day and I roll him over and he doesn't have a dick. WTF. So it turns out Kevin is a girl. Has anyone here had any success in changing a dogs name? Do we have to go to town hall and change it's name on his/her licence?

yea 1 of mine responds to many names. doesnt even have to be close. just start casually calling it something you want to. and they are smart enough to respond, call it over for a treat with a different name. look at it and say that name. they will get used to it. no need to change with town until the next year when you have to renew.

you can go ahead and change the name... we change our adopted dogs name from Dottie to Gabby.. she was around 3 or so years old, and she has responded to Gabby ever since.. but she also responds to other "names" we call her..

then again, her original name wasnt Dottie, that was just the name they gave her at the SPCA after they found her as a stray (was only about 3 months)...

only need to change the name with the town on your next renewal (people actually register their dogs with the town?)

Most dogs are very adaptable and will learn a new name if there is food being offered.My last dog got kicked out of 3 homes,had 3 names before he was a year old and did not understand English. Had him for 17 years and the little bastard could piss you off in any language.....I really miss him.

my dog is learning some words in Italian as well.. just basic ones like "su" for up or "basta" for stop.. (we only know a little italian, so we could only teach her so much).. and she picked up on those words so quickly, so you're right, dogs are certainly adaptable.

As others have said you can change a dogs name at anytime just train with repetition and treats or play as a reward and it will be very easy to change the dogs name. Also you do not have to change the name on the license, many dogs have more than one name anyway(look at most show dogs they have a registered name and a name that they are called) the important thing is the dog has a license.

DSD1026- yes most dog owners do register their dogs with the town according to the law. If one dose not register the dog they face a fine rangeing from $100 to $1000

DSD1026- yes most dog owners do register their dogs with the town according to the law. If one dose not register the dog they face a fine rangeing from $100 to $1000

i would actually disagree with you. i know a multitude of dog owners who do not (and never have) register their dogs. Its basically just for the town to grab money for no real purpose behind it. we have never registered our dogs with any town we've ever lived in (3 towns, 5 different dogs) and we've never been fined or even questioned about them.

maybe you have a different experience in your town, but i know my 3 different neighbors have dogs that arent registered with the town. I would hazard to bet that at least half of the dogs in the state are not registered with the towns they reside in..

Its definately not a money grab and there is a real purpose for it. the money is ONLY spent to help prevent the spread of rabies through a number of different programs run by the department of health and animal control.Such as TNR programs(trap neuter and relece) paying for animal control, low or no cost rabies shots, as well as a few more programs I am an animal control officer for 9 townships and i check everydog i come into contact with and since november i have issued 2 tickets for unlicensesed dogs and that is out of a total of 78 dogs that were not strays.so not even close to 50%.You are right animal control does not have the man power to do a dog census every year but if you are ever caught you will probably receve a higher fine because you have never registered your dog. I am just curious do you get a rabies shot for your dog.

Its definately not a money grab and there is a real purpose for it. the money is ONLY spent to help prevent the spread of rabies through a number of different programs run by the department of health and animal control.Such as TNR programs(trap neuter and relece) paying for animal control, low or no cost rabies shots, as well as a few more programs I am an animal control officer for 9 townships and i check everydog i come into contact with and since november i have issued 2 tickets for unlicensesed dogs and that is out of a total of 78 dogs that were not strays.so not even close to 50%.You are right animal control does not have the man power to do a dog census every year but if you are ever caught you will probably receve a higher fine because you have never registered your dog. I am just curious do you get a rabies shot for your dog.

i guess that's the thing, you would never run into my dog.. she is never outside the house or 6-foot privacy-fenced-in backyard..

and yes, i do get my dog rabies shots.. i am actually a very very very responsible pet owner, I just dont feel the need to give money to a township that does nothing but try to take my money in other ways. (i know you're an AC officer and all, but towns in NJ are corrupt as hell and get as much money as possible from their residents, almost without exception)..

my dog is up to date on all shots (rabies/bordatella/lyme/lepto/distemper, etc), all medications (flea & heartworm). I pay for all of that myself with my private vet..

again, your area may be different, but i know here in monmouth county, i can count on one hand how many times i have actually even SEEN an AC person (even in a car) in the past 9+ years..

doesnt matter.. dont want to get into an argument about it.. you register your dogs.. i dont.. i was just curious because i know many many people who dont

We have a male dog named Vegas so when we got him a sister (born on the same month and day but different year - what are the odds?) we named her Reno. Turned out that there was confusion over the NO command and her name so we renamed her Britney simply because at the time my wife and I were discussing a new name for her to avoid the training issues we were having, the news was talking about Britney Spears.

i guess that's the thing, you would never run into my dog.. she is never outside the house or 6-foot privacy-fenced-in backyard..

and yes, i do get my dog rabies shots.. i am actually a very very very responsible pet owner, I just dont feel the need to give money to a township that does nothing but try to take my money in other ways. (i know you're an AC officer and all, but towns in NJ are corrupt as hell and get as much money as possible from their residents, almost without exception)..

my dog is up to date on all shots (rabies/bordatella/lyme/lepto/distemper, etc), all medications (flea & heartworm). I pay for all of that myself with my private vet..

again, your area may be different, but i know here in monmouth county, i can count on one hand how many times i have actually even SEEN an AC person (even in a car) in the past 9+ years..

doesnt matter.. dont want to get into an argument about it.. you register your dogs.. i dont.. i was just curious because i know many many people who dont

Like you I have never registered my dogs as I see it as just another predatory tax. I take care of all their medical needs and take all precautions to insure their health and well being as a pet owner without my township or county once again delving into my pockets.

Oh man are you screwed, this is NJ. If you want to change it's name you have to download a couple of forms. Then you have to fill them out get two non relatives to vouch for you, you have to submit to background checks, get printed, and be sure no head doc has anything bad to say about you. Oh wait, I have that confused with something else. Just call it any darn thing you want, dogs are smart and he/she will pick up quickly :D :D :D

I am not wanting to argue either i really was just curious if you take your dog to get rabies shots because most people who dont licenses their dogs dont get shots either. And while i understand not wanting to give corrupt towns any more of your hard earned money i do know that the towns i work for 100% of the money goes to rabies prevention and nothing elce

I am not wanting to argue either i really was just curious if you take your dog to get rabies shots because most people who dont licenses their dogs dont get shots either. And while i understand not wanting to give corrupt towns any more of your hard earned money i do know that the towns i work for 100% of the money goes to rabies prevention and nothing elce

you must work in nicer towns than I live.. lol

but yeah, i know a lot of people dont properly take care of their animals, which is a shame..

i would actually disagree with you. i know a multitude of dog owners who do not (and never have) register their dogs. Its basically just for the town to grab money for no real purpose behind it. we have never registered our dogs with any town we've ever lived in (3 towns, 5 different dogs) and we've never been fined or even questioned about them.

maybe you have a different experience in your town, but i know my 3 different neighbors have dogs that arent registered with the town. I would hazard to bet that at least half of the dogs in the state are not registered with the towns they reside in..

I've only dealt with pet licensing in one town. They required it, and lots of people weren't doing it. So they simply sent at least one truck around the town that did nothing but look for dogs at an address, check against the number of dog licenses for that address that were paid up, and fined the homeowner the difference. If your dog managed to get loose, having their tags got the dog more time before being put down, and you'd actually get phone calls to come get the dog and pay the fine for having him picked up by the dog catcher.

They were moving into trying this with cats when we left.

i always thought it would be funny to name a dog "stain"

hopefully you get it once you thing about it for a second...

The same can be said for naming it "Head"

I've only dealt with pet licensing in one town. They required it, and lots of people weren't doing it. So they simply sent at least one truck around the town that did nothing but look for dogs at an address, check against the number of dog licenses for that address that were paid up, and fined the homeowner the difference. If your dog managed to get loose, having their tags got the dog more time before being put down, and you'd actually get phone calls to come get the dog and pay the fine for having him picked up by the dog catcher.

They were moving into trying this with cats when we left.

as far as i know, all towns "require" it.. (technically)