SMT85

interesting experience at belleplain supply

stopped at belleplain supply yesterday for the first time, very nice store and the staff and owner were very nice.

lots of items and had a great selection, picked up some cleaning supplies and my self and the owner had started a conversation on the current legislation and current laws.

we got to talking about the ammo and firearms online ban which to my surprise was he is in favor of, and continued to tell me how if i had ordered ammo online it was currently illegal and there going to crack down and arrest me by tracking the ups records.lol. i tried to explain it was legal but he was convinced it was completely illegal to purchase 9mm and 223 online with current nj law. ( not the new legislation passed by assembly)

we talked about ar15's, which is my favorite rifle so a was enthused to talk about them with another gun guy. we ending up disagreeing on the legality of assembling your own nj compliant upper and lower. he continued to tell me that assembling your own upper is illegal, ordering parts of an upper is illegal, having a completed nj compliant assembled upper is illegal because its not from the manufacturer and how people come in all the time with them to sell him there personal assembled nj compliant uppers and how he has to report them.

i argued the point and stated the facts of how the lower is not in the residence when they are assembled for nj compliance and how the lower is the firearm, not the upper,the upper is just parts, and what matters is whether it has the evil features or not. not whether its from a manufacturer, but he was convinced it was manufacturing and against 2c. he also told me that it must be a factory nj compliant complete rifle or it was illegal to own in nj and how there cracking down and its people like me who assemble there own uppers and lowers make it worse for everyone else. also said how you are not alowed to change anything on your nj compliant factory complete rifle or it was illegal also. his tone was frustrating,raising his voice slightly and trying to talk over me and a little bit of him sticking his chest out. lol but oh well.

so needless to say he wont be getting my business again, i dont like how he is spreading misinformation around, but other than that the store was nice, has lots of items, staff was helpful but i just cant get around what we talked about and his point of view. just thought id share my experience because the thought of this guy reporting people for doing nothing wrong blew my mind.

Of course it is all illegal in his eyes. It's all money out of his pocket. He does not want any free market competition. He wants a protected market, so he can charge want he wants.

Check UPS records? Yea, even UPS doesn't know or care what's in the box. ORD-D label on shipping covers a lot more that ammo or sporting arms related things.

The other talking points I won't even address. Pure garbage. If even a few of the items were true more than half of the sporting arms in NJ would be illegal.

DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR LOCAL GUN STORE. Find out the real information from sportsmen! and forums like this and NJ HUNTER.

LGSs are by far the worst places to get information from. And, NJ has more than it's fair share of lousy LGSs IMHO.

Hmm, so it is illegal to buy ammo form someplace cheaper than him, and it is illegal to buy accessories he doesn't sell, and it is illegal to do anything but buy complete rifles from people like him.

I don't think ignorance factors in here.

This guy is the definition of D-Bag. Everything is overpriced. That's why the locals call it Tiffany's. if you want any gun other than a Browning, you're an idiot. Even if you do want a Browning, you might get told it's too much gun for you. He makes up his own laws. He was just recently selling AR's for $3000. Also, supposedly he was taking bids on AR's. This is not a good place to shop. I was there twice, and both times had a bad experience.

Glad to see others feel the same, glad I kept my composure even though he was being hard to deal with.

I did see he had a stag ar on the rack for $2,500.00 lol I just feel bad for first time inquires on the ar15 that he'll steer them down the wrong direction.

I contacted him a few weeks ago and was asking him if i could use him as a FFL for a chinese sks. He said no, he said he will not bring in any military style guns for anyone. I told him it didn't have a detachable mag but a standard 4 round capacity. He said he didn't care.

sounds like a winner to me.

edit: i just realized i ALMOST went there to buy my first gun. i was price checking EVERYWHERE to find a good deal. wanted to charge me 700 for a BLUE beretta 92fs, and that was over a year ago when the market was more stable.

He's not the brightest bulb in the pack. I went there last summer looking at pistols. He was trying to talk me into going in a direction that I didn't want to go. Thankfully they didn't have anything that I needed and I drove out of there quickly.

I've been there twice, it's close to home, and twice I have had unpleasant experiences. I felt like I was bothering him once; I went in to look at pistols, permit in hand, the person I delt with did not want to sell me a gun. I called him on it and left. I told the story to a co-worker who, unknown by me, is friends with the owner. The owner apologized so I decided to give them another shot. I was lookin for a specific gun and stopped in to see if they had it. I was dealing with the owner and he started to tell me why I don't want this gun, he has something better. I blatently asked is he was going to sell me what I wanted, when he hesitated I left. When people ask me about this place I warn them.

Drive a few minutes farther south and deal with Just Sports in Cape May Court House; or 40 minutes north and deal with Paul.

This guy is the definition of D-Bag. Everything is overpriced. That's why the locals call it Tiffany's. if you want any gun other than a Browning, you're an idiot. Even if you do want a Browning, you might get told it's too much gun for you. He makes up his own laws. He was just recently selling AR's for $3000. Also, supposedly he was taking bids on AR's. This is not a good place to shop. I was there twice, and both times had a bad experience.

He bought the Windham AR's from Just Sports for $8xx and had them priced at $2700(IIRC) in his shop.

He also had his friends and employee's going to Just Sports to buy their .223 ammo and was reselling it at his shop for $30+/box(20 rounds).

He too told me I couldn't assemble my own AR-15, he told me it constituted firearms manufacturing, which is illegal in NJ. Obviously he would just rather sell you a $2700 AR and make 2 grand off of you :lol:

Speaking of "assault rifles"- he actually sold my friend a used Marlin Model 60(semi-auto tubular magazine) for $100. My friend found that it held 18 rounds when he got it to the range. He had to buy the shorter 14 round magazine.

Either way, if it's not a Browning, it's junk in his eyes. He'll bash every gun that isn't a Browning.

Watch out for his wife in the store too. She had no idea on how to clear an AR when I asked to see one. She was trying to pull the ejection port cover open, trying to get her finger nail behind it :lol: I had to do it for her.

I will say this, I've spoken with the owner a couple of times and he always seemed pretty decent. Nice store, but his pricing leaves a lot to be desired. He does seem to be anti military style weapons, but I'm certain that with the current price markup he would make an exception. He had loads of shotguns and hunting rifles with only a handful of "black" rifles when I was there last summer. But I suppose the reality of it, given his location, there is a large populace of hunting enthusiasts in the area and I'm sure he's geared his business for the those locals. But, like others have said, his prices are much too high. For instance, I made a purchase of PMC .223 ammo in July and he charged $9.99 a box. Granted, that it may be cheap by todays price, but keep in mind, this was before the recent AWB stuff and ammo "shortage" and I had gotten the same ammo from A-n-A for just under $7. Thats $3 a box difference!!!! I was going shooting that day and needed it so I bought some, but I WILL NOT go back to purchase any more. So I'm not surprised in the least that he is against online sales of ammo. Want to purchase a gun elsewhere and then get a transfer to his store? LOL. He wants $75.00 to do transfers. So far, that is the most expensive I've found anywhere.

Would I do business with him again? It depends....I suppose if I had to. I would have to be in need of something at that particular moment and unable to get it locally elsewhere, but in all reality, I don't foresee that happening any time soon.

He too told me I couldn't assemble my own AR-15, he told me it constituted firearms manufacturing, which is illegal in NJ. Obviously he would just rather sell you a $2700 AR and make 2 grand off of you :lol:

He might be mistaking the laws that apply to him, and thinking they apply to you as well. Their is an ATF ruling that went out to FFLs that states specifically what constitutes manufacturing v. gunsmithing.